You are here

Step daughter ughhhhhhhhhh another rant

Stephani22w's picture

I'm a stepmom of 2 ages 10 & 12. I have been around for 7 years. I recently posted a rant about my younger stepdaughter behavior and how it's been going on for 4 years on and off.
They have always lived w their mother but do visit here regularly.Anyway, now she is saying how she doesn't want to come over. Her mother told us she's gonna make her so she can't avoid her bad behavior and avoid punishment from last weekend. I know she has mental issues, she's been diagnosed with a few things and is on meds, but she has no issues at school and supoosively things at home have been somewhat good. But for some reason she is so damn disrespectful to me. I barely have to see her but when I do it's like she pushes buttons, says nasty things for no reason and doesn't listen to normal requests like recently us looking at a house we might buy, she was running all over, throwing her shoes at the wall and doing cartwheels ugh.
It's like she tests me and then laughs.
I'm 30 and have no kids yet so I think my patience is thin but I don't scream and yell, I usually go and get her dad to deal w her. Anyway, it's been constantly on my mind how she doesn't want to come over next weekend. I don't want to tip toe around my house, nor do I want her to avoid me. I know it would ultimately crush her dad.
I want to rise above this child and resolve things but she keeps refusing. Saying I'm mean and doesn't care about my feelings (she texted her dad this yesterday-which he immediately forwarded to mom and mom took away phone). I seriously am so nice to this kid. I recently planned a bday party for her and always am attentive. People always tell me how they think I do more and care more than the average stepmom. But I really do care!they are my husband's kids and I don't want problems. Myhusband wants to set some rules and change things in our home but can't if she doesn't come over. Mom says she's gonna make her.ugh idk I feel so stressed about this.

Acratopotes's picture

girl is playing you, disengage from her, she knows what buttons to push to get you all worked up,

simply ignore it, pretend you do not care,

Yes your husband can make rules at his house without her coming over, next time she visits he simply tell her, these are the new rules... but the problem is what will your husband do if she tells him then in that case I will not come over anymore?

Will he say, no wait sweety Daddy was only joking and then cancel the rule

or will he laugh and say, Well little gil you do not have a say, seeing you are a minor child in this life and CO stipulates you have to come, so suck it up buttercup, you will be here and the rules will be here as well...

marblefawn's picture

It sounds as if her dad sees the problems and that's something. Mom seems to be willing to back you up and discipline her too. That's really good. My SD didn't see her dad for two years when she was in her early teens. They pull the power play, but the three of you need to stick together, especially if SD has behavior/emotional problems.
As bad as it is, just keep in mind the parents seem to be trying to rein her in - many SMs don't have that backup. The less you react, the better. She gets power knowing she's cranking you up, and that will reinforce her bad behavior. If she doesn't want to visit, tell husband some space might be good and she'll come around when she's more comfortable. It's not necessarily true, but you deserve some peace and maybe she will come around. But you don't want her at any cost - you only want her if she's willing to follow rules and respect you.

ESMOD's picture

I don't think it's unusual for kids to test their parents or to buck authority..

I don't know all the history here.. but obviously, you got together with a guy with kids when you were pretty young. I guess hind sight is 20/20... but at 23 I think I would have run fast and far if a guy I met had kids...not to mention a failed relationship that produced 2 kids at that point!

As far as her running the show. I think it's good her mother is not allowing her to get out of visitation. It sounds like there is at least some hope of a united front. One thing I might suggest is that at this point... she is old enough to understand a reprimand from you too. Instead of letting her disrespect you.. you can certainly stick up for yourself. Maybe when she sees you refuse to be a target and her intention of stirring you up doesn't work she will tire of that game?

Stephani22w's picture

Unfortunately I've heard their mother say the same thing. She defends her a lot but then also defends me. It's like I'm a nother sibling or something ugh. But I can see now you are all right, I am gonna take a step back, stop planning anything nice and try to find things to do when they are around. It's crazy because they will both follow me in every room and constantly be all over me then the younger one will randomly snap on me. My husband says he will make sure they no longer follow me around. Mom blames it on jealousy and anxiety towards her older sister. It sucks because I use to enjoy family time and for the last 4 years on and off this little girl randomly comes out and bites my head off. It kills me that she can just skip off to her house, and avoid me for 11 days cuz she's at mom's!
I texted her mom today asking if we could do a 3 way call to maybe calm her and just resolve this, but do you think it makes it look like I'm begging her to talk to me?? Another part of her games?? I just don't want to tip toe around my own house. I don't even care if we arnt close anymore, I just don't want the awkward feeling.

Ispofacto's picture

This girl has the best of both worlds, she can be a little sh!t and still get treats. Stop doing stuff for her.

Go do fun stuff by yourself or with your girlfriends for several hours when she's there. She's too self-important. Put her in here place. You are the adult, she is the kid. When she asks where you are going, tell her it's none of her business. If she's rude or disrespectful, send her to her room. Don't argue. If she asks why, tell her because you are the adult and you told her to.

Families are like wolf packs, and she's trying to be the alpha.

Stephani22w's picture

Trust me im gonna completelyyyyy change into not so nice stepmom. And I'm not gonna avoid my house. I don't even think she will come over for a while. Bm says she's gonna make her and punish her ect but I just saw her post something on Instagram and has a bday party this weekend. Her mom isn't on our side like she's says. I'm just done worrying about it. Not my kid. She wants to mess up her kid, that's on her not me. I just feel sad my husband is hurting because of all this...

Lemonygirl's picture

Listen, take back your home and your power from this kid! I had to fight fire with fire with my SD when she was that age. She had gone all around the house for days calling me names and a fat ass to our 3 other ones drawing ugly pictures of me etc... I packed them all up in the car for a nice lunch out at their favorite restaurant and then drove to a friend of mines and announced in the car that we had a problem. Explained that I do not treat children who call me names and draw ugly pics of me to nice lunches and told her to get out and drove off. I had this prearranged with my friend. But you see, you don't have to be a prisoner to her behavior. Plan a nice ice cream dessert and don't serve her after a particularly horrible incident. And unemotionally just explain that in your home, children who say or do xyz to you do not get treated to ice cream. And then change the subject quickly. You get the idea, it is not cruel and you are teaching an authentic lesson about treating others as you want to be treated.

NotMySelfishLazyLoudFatKid's picture

You're trying and you're still a mean SM. Just stop. I would act like she doesn't exist unless she directly speaks to you. Even then, keep it short and simple. Do not go out of your way. Not your kid, not your problem.

NotMySelfishLazyLoudFatKid's picture

You're trying and you're still a mean SM. Just stop. I would act like she doesn't exist unless she directly speaks to you. Even then, keep it short and simple. Do not go out of your way. Not your kid, not your problem.

JoannaBelle's picture

Please leave now while you got the chance. You’re so young find a man with no baggage!! You deserve to have all the attention and priority from your husband. Don’t settle for this! It will always be drama. Once you have kids together you’ll dry because of that. Don’t let it go this far. Been there I regret it!!! Don’t youre still in time. If you don’t these kids will always be around and so will the ex. You will be miserable and will look back and wish you had left this situation. You’re not happy!! Do what makes you happy!!

Stephani22w's picture

Luckily it's only 4 days a month. If they lived with us and it was like this I would be gone. I truly love my husband and we have a good future to look forward to. I'm just gonna change my ways and limit interaction with her.