You are here

Seeking Advice - Cannot Accept things as they are

guineverre7's picture

Well this is my first post - I been reading here for a long time but everyone always gives good advice I just enjoy reading but now I have issues of my own.

This might be long so I apologize now.

I have been with my husband 10 years married 5. He has 3 kids from a previous marriage, 20, 19 & 17. We have a 7 year old together as well.

He has always had custody of the 19 sd and the 17 ss. I helped him raised them. I really thought of them as my own for a long time and things were good. Their mother never was much in the picture she would show up on some holidays to take them for a bit but that was about it. The 20 year old we never saw much. She had issues with them being divorced and really saw me as the bad girl. This cause some tension but nothing we couldnt work out.

Well sh*t hit the fan a bit over a year ago. SD (19) had always had some issues with attention, she did it all for attention, from claiming to hear voices in her head that told her to kill herself (which was not true after we saw a psychiatrist for months), to showing pictures of babies at school and claiming it was hers. She did it all. We got her help and she was doing ok.

Well after she graduate high school we found out she lied about applying to colleges, about taking her SATs, everything. We were pretty upset since we really wanted her to get into college. So we told her fine take a year off but you need to work at least close to full time and we were going to charge her some rent ($50 plus $20 for gas to take her to and from work) a week to live here. But she would need to still get into college the following year.

Well by February (of this year) things did not go well. She wouldnt work more then 10 hours at her job (We found out its all she told her manager to give her), she was home ALL the time, doing nothing but cause trouble between my husband and I, or fighting with her siblings or just watching TV all the time and eating.
She had not applied at any colleges either. By then I had it. We had a big fight and my husband told her she had to leave.

He took her to her mother's house. We really only did it in hopes to shake her up, to wake up, to think maybe she needs to get her ass in gear. But it did not.
Her mother is never home so she had the place to herself, having parties, drinking and smoking. Its only been 7 months since she left, but she has had 2 miss carriages and she is pregnant again, this time looks like it might stick (She is 3 months). She lives with her aunt, her mother lost her house and she lives there too (I think)
In those 7 months my sd has threaten to kill me, to figure a way to take my daughter away, to beat me up, to make my life a living hell, she told me I am the biggest waste of space ever made.

This broke my heart. I thought her as my daughter, my best friend even we were so close. Now she hates me.
My ss hates me as well, he steals from me any chance he gets, I have to carry anything of value with me 24/7 or lock it up.
He thinks very little of me. He told me he only deals with me since I am the b*tch his father loves for some reason.

I dont understand why now these kids hate me. I mean is it wrong for me to have wanted better for my sd then what she has now? To see her not get pregnant and become successful in life? And not some leech that gets state aid.

But my biggest problem now is with my husband. I cant seem to move on. He maintains he relationship with the sd, calls her all the time, already promised to be there at the births (Did I mention both sd are pregnant). That he will offer her all the morale support she wants....

I am so hurt by this, I mean yes they are his kids ... but she has said such horrible things to me, things I cant forgive I really want to but I cant ... is that bad of me? Does this make me the bad person??
My husband claims sd wants another chance with me, but I cant do it I just cant.

Those kids ripped my heart out and hurt me so bad, I cant even think about that day she left because it just breaks my heart. I feel like a fool and I am still treats badly by my ss any chance he is around (he lives with us but tries not to stay home or stays in his room to avoid me). And no my husband doesnt really do anything about him. I have tried but at this point now I dont care.

I dont know what to do my husband has every right to be in his childrens lives I cant deny him that, but I feel horribly betrayed. I am not sure at this point I can stay married to him, its not fair to him and I dont think its fair to me if I feel this way.

What do you all think? Am I just still hurt and need more time? I dont really know what to do right now

KathyB's picture

Oh my goodness I so feel for you. I have two adult step-children (20 and 25) and it was not hard at first but we eventually got there. I have been married to their father for 14 years and we have two children together. They were 5 and 9 when I married their father. Like you, their mother was mostly absent. Trust me when I say that your husband is the epitome of acting out of guilt. My husband does it too. He feels bad for his divorce from their mother and tries to make it up by being their friend, confidant, personal banker, whatever they need. His son moved out when he was 12 because he didn't like the "rules" anymore. He went to live with his mother where he ruled the roost. He was the "man of that house" and whatever he said went. He was always in trouble with the law and his father always bailed him out making excuses for him. His mother coninued to roll out the cash whenver he wanted so she is his best friend in the world. My step-daughter made a comment to me several years ago that she didn't like the way I "parent" my daughter. I took great offense to that. She and her brother were always jealous of my children because I didn't pawn them off on nannies like their parents did. Several years went by before she and I were able to have any semblance of a relationship. The entire time she and I fought, her father took her side. He treated us both as if we were his children. He didn't demand respect from her to me and led her to believe that she was in the right. Even told her behind my back to "be the bigger person." This, he said about his wife! I never forgot that and I don't think I ever forgave him for that. He mostly treated his daughter like they were the married couple and I was the intruder. So much more has been going on with his self-centered son who refuses to get a job. Honestly, I have just had enough. I'm not sure I'm the best to give advice because I think I am throwing in the towel and raising my two children with much better respect than he gives to me. If your own spouse cannot have your back, who can? Even against adult children. If you can't trust your spouse, who do you trust? Who knows what he's doing or saying behind your back. At the very least, he should demand an apology from them to you and respect at all times. Personally, I just can't live this way anymore. I am young and have so much more ahead of me. I hate the thought of leaving my home that I built, but anywhere I live will be home with my children. It's too bad these husband cannot deal with mature subjects with mature minds with their adult children. Good luck!

halfstepmom2skids's picture

I question whether sd "wants another chance" or is just saying it cuz its another attempt to make you look like the bad guy. She can't honestly think you would open yourself up to her. Keep your wall up with her but don't play into it.
Do you have friends or someone in your family who you can get out with? I just think we get too deep into these issues and getting out and doing something fun is exactly what we need at those times. You need an outlet, you need to laugh.

WHERESMYWART's picture

I would also feel betrayed by they way your Stepchildren are treating you. Obviously, you have given of yourself to these children. It is just too bad they no longer appreciate it. Maybe you should concentrate your efforts on raising your daughter and leave the rest to your DH. It is easy to say from someone like me but it would be hard for me to disengage myself although I feel like it is what I need to do as well. I hope this works out for the best no matter what you decide. I would also have my feelings hurt that my husband could make up with them so fast after the way they have treated you. Things go like that around here as well.

guineverre7's picture

Ty all for the comments.

I thought sleeping on it would make me feel better. Last night I tried once again talking to my husband but it ended up in a fight and I told him I really thought it was best if we werent together anymore.
I cant say I feel different this morning. I feel worse Sad I cant remember when I was this depressed.

I am sad to say I lowered myself to snooping and my husband calls ds at least 4-5 times a day or she calls him and they talk several minutes. This really hurts me and I know she never asked for a second chance, if she wanted one she would ask me for one, which btw I did give her one but one evening she dropped off her brother and he was driving (he has no license) so when he came in he said something about ds and I said "I dont give a f*ck about her why where you driving?!?!" Well she heard her name and she then started yelling out the car window that she would beat my ass if I did not shut up about her ... so I cannot give her a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... chance, I cant do it, I just cannot do it emotionally and my husband does not understand that.

He feels I am making him chose between the kids and him. I dont want him to pick I know he loves them but why is it ok for him to offer support to someone who is taking advantage of it?

I really tried to just ignore them and let him deal with it but its hard knowing as soon as he leave the house he is on the phone chatting it up with them, but when he is here with me he wont even touch his phone, if its not a big secret why hide it?

I am not making any rash decisions but I dont know if we have much a future.

Sadly I have no friends here that are not his family, I have no family, my mother is elderly and lives in Canada (where I am from), and my dad passed away years ago and I have no one else. So if I leave my husband it will be very hard...

KathyB's picture

A friend just recently wrote to me that she took a "leap of faith" and just did it. She left. She said it was the scariest thing she ever did in her life. The result: she is the happiest she has ever been in her life. I cannot remember seeing her smile much or laughing as hard when I knew her when she was married. Now, she is such a pleasure to be around. I have to admit, I am a bit jealous. I was always the one talking about how I was getting out and moving on...but I never have. She did it and she exuberates amazing energy. Friends can be found anywhere. I moved to MD after marrying my DH 14 years ago with no friends. I have so many now that they are hard to keep track of. Not just fairweather friends, they are very good friends. I put myself out there and made them. They are such am amazing support group. This man has no right to treat you second class to his adult, ill-mannered, bratty, immature children. There is no excuse for that type of behavior from anyone. It's not about his choosing between you and his children. It's about his choosing to be a responsible parent and actually parent and be the "bad guy." It's about his knowing their disrespectful, shitty attitudes are inappropriate and will not be tolerated. I think I know, after watching my DH do this with his kids, what he is feeling, and it's pure receipt of the adoration he is receiving from his adult children. They are treating him like a "king" and making him feel special. He is putting up the good fight for them, taking their sides, and they relish in that. He relishes in that. My DH did that when his daughter and I fell out. The more distant I became to her, the closer she got to her father. He loved that. When his daugther and I patched things up, he was honestly depressed, but would never admit it. She would start to come to me about stuff and it really bothered him. This is EXACTLY what your DH is feeling. It's actually very pathetic. It's too bad that in order for them to feel such greatness, they have to destroy and step on someone else. You sound like a very caring person and they are not worth another minute of YOUR life. This is YOUR life. You get to spend it with who you want and how you want. No one has the right to make you feel "less than." Because you are not. As soon as you are out of the picture, and there's no drama left, they will wonder what to do with themselves. Without you, they will probably dissolve as a family unit. As for the loud mouth adult daughter who keeps threatening you -- tell her to put up or shut up. You should not continue in this manner. It's not healthy mentally or physically. I keep a journal of the things that I see in my future. I write it down. I cut out pictures. And I look at the journal all the time. I am confident that after the holidays are over I will be making my choice to move forward and do it on my own. I have two wonderful, smart and compassionate kids or deserve me at my best. And I'm going to give it to them. Good luck! And remember, you are entitled to peace and happiness in YOUR life.

DaizyDuke's picture

I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this G7. The very scary thing about your story is that these girls are going to have babies. They are without a doubt going to be the BM's that we all know and love (insert major eye roll here) and these poor kids are going to be brought into this world by women who have no jobs, no ambition, foul mouths, and a sense of entitlement bigger than Texas. Your husband just encourages their behavior by ignoring it and pretending that all is sunshine and butterflies and the cycle just goes on and on.... I feel so bad for these babies already. :sick:

guineverre7's picture

Well its been almost a week and figured I'd update.

I laid it out for him, or tried too. I tried very hard to relay how I feel and what is what.
I dont think it did any good.

As I said its been a week and now he acts as if nothing ever happen and things are ok and they really are not. He still uses talks and txts them, I think its them (or with my luck another woman?) he deletes txts so I cant snoop. he gets defensive when I ask about it.
I try to be loving and like him "ignore it" but it makes me feel sick to my stomach, I cant do it.

The most he has said is that in a couple years we can try moving, that some distances might help me. So what he is saying for a few years I have to suck it up and deal with my feelings being ignored till we can move? And how will that solve anything? Sure I wont have to worry about seeing sk but that really solves nothing.

I dont know if I can deal with all this. On top of it can I really handle my husband being a grandfather?! I am only 30! (he is 40). And yes I find it very scary these girls are having babies. I have even tried to talk to my husband to maybe encourage sd to consider adoption or something, she has no job, the county supports her, refuses to go to college, what sort of future can she offer a baby?! He just got mad at me!

I dont know where I stand right now - things are not looking up if I cannot feel I can confide in my husband anymore for fear of being judge and just the thought of being near him makes my stomach curl because I cant stand being so disrespected how can I keep going as it is?

DaizyDuke's picture

IMHO I think your husband is blowing steam up your butt.... I find it very hard to believe that given the way he interacts with his daughters now that AFTER they have these babies that he will be willing to pick up and move away from them and their precious spawn??? Promise you that if they get any whiff of that plan that they will play their trump cards and guilt daddy into staying. If you think these girls are needy now, just wait until they have babies and their sense of entitlement grows to epic proportions.

I wish I had words of encouragement for you, but the only light I see at the end of your tunnel is if your DH has an epiphany and sees what he is doing as far as putting these girls ahead of you and enabling their immature and needy behaviors. Sad