You are here

SD'S BAD EATING HABITS!!!

dragonfly's picture

AM I ALONE HERE?? EVER SINCE I MET MY SD I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER EATING HABITS.IF IT WAS UP TO HER SHE WOULD EAT MACARONI AND SPAGHETTI(WITH OUT THE SAUCE)OH AND FAST FOOD EVERY DAY.OTHER THAN THAT SHE DOES NOT LIKE. THE FOOD THAT I COOK IS NOT SO COMPLICATED CAUSE I MYSELF DON'T LIKE COMPLICATED FOOD BUT ITS HEALTHY FOOD. WHEN MY HUS AND GOT MARRIED AND BEGAN LIVING TOGETHER IT WAS A FIGHT AND A HASSLE EVERY TIME SHE HAD TO EAT. SHE DID NOT LIKE THE FOOD AND WOULD CRY ABOUT IT AND IF SHE LIKED IT SHE WOULD TAKE AN HOUR OR MORE TO FINISH IT. IM MEXICAN AND SO IS MY HUS AND SD ALTHOUGH THEY WERE BOTH BORN AND RAISED HERE. SD DOES NOT KNOW ANY OF THE TRADITIONAL FOODS FROM MEXICO AND WHEN THEY ARE PRESENTED TO HER SHE FREAKS OUT AND NO IM NOT SERVING HER FRIED CRICKETS OR WORMS.. JUST REGULAR AND SIMPLE MEXICAN FOOD, WHICH SHE SHOULD BE USED TO SINCE WE LIVE SO CLOSE TO THE BORDER.
NOW THAT I HAVE MY BABY I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME TO BE FIGURE OUT WHAT TO COOK SO THAT IT PLEASES HER. I MAKE THE MEALS THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE DONE AND IF SHE DOES NOT LIKE IT I LET DADDY TAKE CARE OF IT AS LONG AS HE DOESNT MESS WITH MY FOOD LIKE PICK OUT THE VEGETABLES OUT SO THAT SD CAN EAT THE WAY SHE LIKES. I MAKE HIM DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR HER..SHE IS NOT FAT BUT SHE HAS A HARD BELLY THAT LOOKS LIKE A BEER BELLY AND SHE IS ONLY 8 YEARS OLD AND IS CONSTANTLY CONSTIPATED DUE TO HER EATING HABITS AT HER MOMS. I WONDER IF HER EATING HABITS WILL EVER CHANGE CAUSE I CERTAINLY GOT TIRED OF TRYING TO MAKE HER EAT RIGHT AND AT HER MOMS WELL ITS NEVER GONNA CHANGE...
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR SIMILAR STORIES????

smurfy1smile's picture

My nephew 11 has always been a very fussy eater. He is getting better as he gets older. At family dinners, he would only eat fruit and maybe a dinner roll. Sometimes his mom would bring him campbells soup. My parents are wonderful cooks and would make stuff like turkey breast, hamburgers, ham, mashed potatoes (grandpa's famous), fresh green beans or salad, fresh fruit, veggie tray (he would eat some of that) and usually some kind of bread at each meal. Nothing super fancy just good and nutricious. My dear nephew would not eat squat. My mother thinks its because he is spoiled but I do not think that is it. My BS now 16 used to be bothered by some textures and would rip the tags out of shirts and end up wrecking the shirt. I think my nephew has the same time of troule with tastes and textures. I guess I would try to find simple stuff she likes and just make that for her and not put yourself out too much about her not eating. You could try involving her in the grocery shopping and meal prep and that may help get her interested in more foods. My BD7 likes soup, fruit, and raw veggies with dip. She is not big on hamburgers so I make her a chicken sandwich or chicken nuggets.

Keep trying but don't put yourself out too much. You have enough on your plate - no pun intended.

steppie1999's picture

She lives with BM and their norm is to eat out....constantly. BM hates to cook and when she does it's generally pasta without sauce, hamburger helper (occasionally) and lettuce salad (nothing else in it).
We have had plenty of battles over food since she was 3. She has grown accustomed to our rule of eating what is made for her (and the other 5 of us)or no snack between meals or dessert. I try to cook to accomodate everyone's taste...I cook a lot of pasta dishes....plus I try to get input from the kids when they're here EOW what they might like the NEXT time they're here. It's makes it less of a hassle.
We try to stress to the kids to improve their tastes by trying whatever is made for them plus we let them them know that to show good manners, they should eat whatever is cooked for them

"SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T MEANT TO HAVE CHILDREN" Sad

bellacita's picture

they need to eat what we cook and if they dont like it they can starve..lol! seriously though, i always cook normal stuff, good food the whole family will like, FSS15 always likes and i expect FSD2 to eat it too...but her mom doesnt cook, has told us that. any time she doesnt eat what i make, or makes a face, which i think is rude...she gets told about that...i just make FH deal w it. i cooked for the family, if she doesnt like it, U deal w it. then normally the next time shes over i make him cook dinner that nite too!

Most Evil's picture

I have never seen our SD eat a vegetable and she claims her mom doesn't care - ok maybe she doesn't. DH finally flat out asked her, are you 'regular' and she says she is? But now she is 16 she is trying more stuff.

I used to be picky as a kid and the older I got the more I ate. It is a pain though and I don't know why mom put up with it. I tried to avoid cooking for SD but now just do and she works around it, whatever.

My grandmother would say, maybe you should 'dose' her!! (laxative) That was her cure for grumpiness, etc.!

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

dragonfly's picture

when we go out to eat she starts making faces and says that she is full when she is not even half way. but when it comes to dessert she can eat a full plate of both chocolate and vanilla puddin and i mean a big full plate....and she does not gag with that.........

Elizabeth's picture

My SD15 is a terrible eater. Let me give you an example. Last week I bought frozen pizza (I like to have one on hand just in case), pizza rolls (they were on sale) and lean pockets at the grocery store. That's pretty much the only processed food I bought. I look in the freezer this morning to get a lean pocket for lunch and guess what... They're all gone. Plus the pizza and pizza roles.

SD eats pizza, cheese, chocolate, and pop. That's about it. Rarely vegetables, except corn. Last night she had so much butter on her corn her dad made a comment. The day before she put so much salt on her potatos he asked, "What's that white stuff?"

My problem is that BDs 4 and 1 see SD eating junk and want to know why they can't too.

dragonfly's picture

i have same problem with SD finishing the food she likes in little time... when i was pregnant i used to get WIC and she would finish the juice and cereal that were supposed to be for the well well being of me and my baby...

Elizabeth's picture

It drives me crazy when I go looking for food I know I bought and it's gone. The lean pockets were, I thought, a kind she doesn't like so I might actually be able to have them for lunch. I guess not!

Anything processed goes right down her throat. But anything healthy (grapes, strawberries, canteloupe, apples) never gets near her. That's fine for me as I prefer the healthy stuff, but every once in a while you like something convenient, you know?!

Angel's picture

father deal with it.

My SS drinks cola for breakfast-----I NEVER GAVE MY KIDS THAT FOR BREAKFAST. This is not my child. I have no say & don't want any. Everyone parent's differently.

I have made suggestions in the past & believe me, PEOPLE JUST PARENT DIFFERENTLY----------suggestions are really not helpful when people don't want to hear it. This child is not MY responsibility.

rachaemdea's picture

I think you should refrain from giving advice then. The people on here want parenting advice. Not "I could care less" advice.

As a step parent, we're more vital to the whole situation than the biological parents. Why? Because we're not related and under more pressure. Your lack of interest could dangersouly affect your Dh's ability to be with his children. YOU should be the one supporting your husband in raising the children. Of course people parent differently. Duh. Thank you Capt. Obvious. If we came with a manual as children, there would be no hate or crime in the world. Sadly, we're not all the same. That's why working as a team raising the children is SO important.

Grace in Wales's picture

I believe Angel has a point. When the step family rejects constantly the step parent's attempts to help, what else can you do but distance yourself, unless you want to go down too? There is a personality type called co-dependents, who seek to control their 'loved ones' to compensate for childhood neglect or abuse. How many of us hard done by step-parents are just screaming for the love we didn't get as children - at the expense of our own happiness?

I am a co-dependant. I've lost two husbands to drink and drugs and I lived through the hell of bringing up their children. I expected any minute their fathers' genes would surface and they would go down the same road. But by working as hard as I could, setting an example, and loving them truly - with moderate discipline, they have grown into adults I'm so proud of.

If, like Angel, you're living with a partner whose priorities are distorted, then best detach yourself. if only to keep yourself healthy. You don't HAVE to nurture these children. They have a BM. It's only your job if you want it to be. And maybe you should ask yourself why you're taking this role on at all. Do you just need to be needed? That's perhaps something you should examine on a personal level before you judge others.

Personally, my SD and DH visit 3 nights a week at his parents' house, as it got so bad I couldn't' stand it in my home any more. I spend 3 nights per week alone, and it's so much better than spending time with their dysfunctionality. Three nights of normality a week. Who could ask for more?!

Elizabeth's picture

SD15 is addicted to Pepsi. She drinks it every day. I won't let BDs have pop with caffeine after noon, and rarely before then. They only get sprite or root beer, and then only on special occasions. So last night BD4 was sneaking drinks of Pepsi from a can on the counter. I have to tell her she can't have any while SD swigs away.

Rae's picture

Elizabeth,

When my son was growing up, there was a household rule. NO soda in the house. Period. End of conversation. I always felt that water, milk and juice was good enough, and that soda would replace the good nutrition and benefits derived from the natural stuff. So if he or his friends, or my boyfriends son (who lived with on eow for 6 years) brought a soda in the house, it got dumped down the sink. They all griped and moaned, but after a time, they just put if off to my eccentricity, and let it alone. My boyfriends son was allowed to drink grape soda day and night at his moms, or so he claimed, so he had a hard time to start with, but eventually he stopped mentioning it and accepted the house rules. Same with dinners. I had a rule that you tried what was in front of you...and poor kids...I liked to try different things...all tasty, but not necessarily the norm. If they really, really didn't like it, after everyone else finished dinner, they could have some cereal or a sandwich. It was rare though. Once they got realized I wasn't going to cave, they were more cooperative. And to this day, their eating habits are better than their friends and they love to try new things, including different weird seafood, frog legs, alligator, etc....

It's your house. If you have a rule that benefits all in the household, SD should abide by the rule.

Elizabeth's picture

He is the problem. He acknowledges he does not eat well but seems powerless to change it. My BDs and I eat pretty well overall. And funny, my approach to them has made them very willing to try different foods. Both BDs LOVE shrimp, avocados, spinach (fresh), broccoli, etc. SD would turn her nose up at all of that.

This week I took a new approach and didn't buy any convenience foods at the grocery store (except for the Pepsi, which my husband can't live without but doesn't get much of with SD around). We'll see how SD eats this week!

rachaemdea's picture

I don't have any children myself YET (hopefully one day) and two of my SD's have a serious eating problem I'll write about later, but I think it would be hard.

I have friends who come over with their 2 year old when my SD's are in town and they can see that he's a baby and eats hot dogs, pasta, etc, things they won't eat. I (sadly) try to throw it in their face that he's eating better than they are.

I'm scared that if this food thing continues with my SD's that when I DO have kids, my kids will feel that they are held to a different standard than the SDs. Which they will be obviously but I dont' want to hurt them either. I think it's all for the best when they are older and healthier in the long run. They will thank you later, I HOPE!

Angel's picture

raising bio kids too, that is a completely different situation. Oh my gosh, that must be sooooo hard!

When my kids were growing up, I did not buy ANY soft drinks. They are now 27, 28 & 29 and have never had cavities.

sixxnguns's picture

my daughter started trying the same game that FSS pulls for awhile until she realized this isn't my first rodeo...LOL

sixxnguns's picture

BM can't cook so they eat out almost every night so when he comes here he picks at the home cooked food. I talked to a parent aide about this and she said what we are doing is what we should keep doing....THAT is...he has 20 minutes to eat his food, if the plate isn't empty when his time is up than he's done and he gets THAT for the next meal. He'll end up being hungry enough to eat it sooner or later. I'm so sick of the "i'm entitled to everything" attitude....grrrr

Sarah101's picture

Food issues can be a power play , and the dinner table the Theater of War. I always believed that homeostasis would kick in eventually--eventually the kid will eat because they get hungry. It's a biological imperative. So I never forced food on my BD (now 12). If she turned up her nose at dinner, then she starved. But she had to sit there at the table with us anyway.

Funny how that stopped the power games almost immediately. She's developed into a good eater who will try just about anything.

Enter the teen stepbrats. They had literally been raised on cola and processed food their entire lives. Never drank milk, ate veggies, or took vitamins. None of them every ate with us and they hated the food we served. Instead, the bough McDonald's every day (no joke), and supplemented that with Wonder Bread, cola, and Gatorade. My BD thought their eating habits were disgusting.

Now that they've moved out and are on their own, they are surprised to be getting FAT. They have no concept about nutrition. They have serious problems with their teeth, and no doubt the girls will be crippled with brittle bones as they get older.

Sad story, but I guess my point is that the battle at the dinner table may not be worth all the added stress for you. The stepkids may see themselves in the power position and use the food to drive you nuts. Disengage! Kids learn how to eat from their family-of-origin, and there may not be much you can do to change that.

CSpanned's picture

I have 4 children of my own, and while luckily my fiancee has no children from a previous relationship my (second) ex husband had FOUR as well (i only had the 3 at the time) and HALF THE PROBLEM is the thinking that "This isn't my kid, i'm not the parents, theres nothing I can , will or should do". When you raise someone elses children it's even more difficult then raising your own. YOUR kids know your rules and what to expect, while the step, foster or other children don't know and they don't have to relate to the same types of things at home.

The best thing to do is make a list of house rules, for EVERYONE who's in the house ! Make it large and put it in a prominent location. don't make 100 rules, but DO feel free to elaborate about certain ones, like Table Manners (You must try ONE FULL BITE of all foods served to you. ) or (We may not like what is for dinner, but this is all that's for dinner.) that kind of thing. As far as feeding the children go you need to realize that the other problem is they DONT live with you, which makes it much harder to deal with as they're only there X number of days per year. However remember your house means your rules. Maybe mom doesn't make them wear a seatbelt, or drink milk, or eat a vegatable, but it's not your job to CATER to the children, it's your job to do whats best for them.

Eating was never a problem for me, discipline was, as I'd call their mother while their father was out hunting, and mom would of course ignore my calls, and I couldn't punish the children with a spanking as they weren't mine, but they were still punished.

Anyway the point is that step parenting is even harder then parenting. the kids will tell you you're not their parent, it's not their house, they dont have to listen to you. Make sure you and DH present a united front. Most father suffer from weekend warrior sybdrome where they just want to have a good time with the kids, not punish them (i know, my ex is the same way with our children) but thats not helping them either.

Everything will work out fine, but you'll never SOLVE a childs eating problem without them living with you, but you CAN make a huge impact on them in many many ways Smile

HTH

rachaemdea's picture

We had a "Food Intervention" with my two youngest SD - 8 and 4 last summer. We pulled out food charts and everything. It lasted 2 hours. Lots of tears from the 8 year old. The 4 year old had no clue what was happening.

My DH goes off to make dinner, that he's going to make them eat. The dinner is this pasta in butter (not red sauce or anything like it)and grilled chicken breasts.

My step daughters do that gagging bit. When my DH made them eat pasta. SD8 had 12 pieces of pasta that were twirly noodles that were about 2 inches long each. Picture it? Ok. So he gives that to SD8 first. She takes a bite about 1/2 the size of pea and she starts gagging. Coughing and red faced, the whole bit. I sat across the table from her eating my dinner and I said, "You throw up, you sit in it." She stopped RIGHT THERE and the redness went away and she stopped gagging. Meanwhile SD12 is sitting by SD4 when she asks for a chicken breast to eat. She sees that the pasta is OBVIOUSLY poisioned since SD8 gagged on it. So she's eating the chicken. Then DH gets up and goes to SD4 with a bowl of pasta. Same thing! Gags etc. I told her the exact same thing about sitting in her own vomit and she stopped RIGHT THEN! They pull this trick anything they have to eat something they don't like. Their MOM falls for it. I do not.

So an hour later, SD8 finally finished her 12 pieces. There was a lot of talking and negotiating that went no where. SD4 ate when he made her, of his own hand, but she ate.

SD12 is easy peasy to feed. She'll try anything once practically.

SD8&4 on the other hand will NOT try new things and throw the biggest fit. They get HIGHLY breaded food all the time. Ugh...and pancakes with chocolate milk for breakfast. The thought scares me. They will only eat certain BRANDS of food. At least now they will drink water. That's new.

My DH is thinking of reporting BM to child neglect becasue it's BAD when they don't eat a SINGLE veggie or fruit. SD8 has started waking up with back pain. She's already like 120 lbs, her knees are bowing out funny from the weight...she's emotionally a wreck because of the mixed signals. It's a mess. So I'm all for it. BM said there is nothing you can do. She's always been picky. Actually, no she wasn't when he lived with them and he cooked. They only eat what takes their BM 2 minutes in the microwave to cook. She's just lazy and getting fat herself. And no wonder. I can't even hang out with that diet when we see them seasonally. I'd gain 50 ls too!

One that that cracks me up is, if we go to Cici's (a pizza buffet place) SD8 can eat like a large by herself. When she's at home, she's full after 5 fish sticks. Yeah RIGHT! I told her to finish them when she only ate like 4 and said she was full...here came the tears. Ugh.

She cries at the drop of a hat if you talk about food. I told her she'd probably need therapy when she was older. OF COURSE she told her mom that RIGHT away...so Bm comes up to me, but talking to my DH and says "Why is that Fat Ass telling MY daughter she needs therapy." It was highly amusing let me tell you. I'm over weight a bit, yes, but I'm healthy. I've been checked. I eat pretty well, I'm just squishy! I've held at this weight, albeit not a good weight, for the past 10 years. I can still wear the clothes i wore in high school. I'm sorta proud of that! HA!

But yes. SD8 will need therapy when she's older. This is really messing her up.

SD4 can be forced to eat better. We've done it. She ate beef teryaki and didn't gag one bit. It's a matter of WANTING to change them. We had the girls last week and SD4 said she wasn't hungry when we'd stopped at McDonald's (one of the only approved eating places) and she was given a chicken nugget kids meal. I told her she wouldn't get the toy untl she ate. She ate! Ugh. Then she got the toy. But see, we told her what to do, she did it, all was happy. It's teh 8 year old that is the hardest to "fix".

i typed too much.

ColorMeGone2's picture

My husband has an old stash of MRE's out in the garage. Anyone who wants some, you're welcome to them. Wink

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

Rae's picture

I used to backpack with a friend that always brought MRE's. They looked really, really good!!!!! Some even had their own little bottle of tabasco...I always watched when he pulled out all the stuff from one of them, because it seemed there was always some neat little mini goodie ....

laurels4u's picture

Dh's son thinks it's his God-given right to be fed NY strip every night. Since we don't ever have his first choice, he picks through entire dinners that I've made, often skipping the "filler" - bread and butter, veggies, salad, etc. And what really irks me is that he will eat french fries, tots, and baked potatoes but will not eat mashed potatoes. WTF is that? An hour after dinner, he's in the kitchen eating chips, pop tarts, microwave popcorn, ice cream, etc. It drives me batty.

justbdais's picture

I had a problem eating mashed potatos up until 2 years ago. I couldn't do, the texture would always make me gag. My mom tried everything, adding cheese, putting ranch or ketchup on them. Nothing work until one day 2 years ago. It is weird but while some kids are just picky and want to eat junk sometimes they won't eat food because it truly makes them gag. BTW I can only eat real mashed potatos, the flakes from a box stil make me gag.

Lace Lady's picture

My mother always though I just wanted to eat junk food, but I hated vegetables. She figured it out when she tried to force me to eat green beans & I nearly hurled at the dinner table. She never forced me to eat anything again. To this day the smell of green beans makes me nauseous.

Cajun Lady

dragonfly's picture

wow! rachaemdea i weigh 120 lbs and i just had a baby 2 moths ago..my SD gets hungry with anticipation when we go out to a fast food restaurant but at home her appetite is gone and last week my sister discovered that BM does not cook for her. my sister asked SD what she ate at home and she said "tacos" and then my sister asked "is that all?" and she said yes..then my sis asked "doesn't your mom know how to cook?" and SD said no...but then she took it back by saying "no im just kidding cause she never says anything bad about her dear well behaved mother.

Angel's picture

Thanks Grace. I see that you understand where I am coming from even if I stated the "obvious".

Elizabeth's picture

My husband bought one of those tubs of chocolate chip cookie dough from a fundraiser. I opened it to make cookies and found that about a third of it was gone. Husband said, "Oh, I told SD she could have some." What is your definition of some? I made two dozen cookies and now the dough is gone. I think the tub is supposed to make five dozen cookies.

I've got to say that's a little ridiculous!

dragonfly's picture

i understand that kids and adults don't like certain foods but dislike mostly everything come on... and say that u don't like that food and that it makes u want to throw up but as soon as u get a deal like "if u eat i'll buy u a toy" u eat everything with no problem at all... now what do u call that... picky eater (i don't think so)

ttina's picture

My stepson has ASD. He is very sensitive to textures. He loves pasta but will not look at it if it has any kind of sauce or cheese. He loves nuggets and such. I can't get him to look at a veggie except cucumbers. I do the one bite rule. It takes several tries to actually have an ASD child palate a new taste. Children with Aspargers have similar symptoms. Aspargers does not get diagnosed as easily as Autism although there are many traits that are shared. There is the tags in the shirts that cause issues, the not looking you in the eyes, the general confusion over emotions.

My bio is PICKY and eats ALOT. He is a teenager. He will eat every 20 minutes some days. Bio used to gag when I forced him to eat peas. I talked to the doctor.... he told me I can stress myself out or I could give son a multivitamin and let him choose how to eat.

I am not saying I cooked differently for him, he would either eat what I fixed or he'd be hungry. Granted I did (and still do esp with SS's ASD) fix things to people's tastes. I can't do casseroles or one dish meals of any kind, but we can have BBQ and baked chicken (gotta love tinfoil) baked potatoes, pasta, and salad. It doesn't take any more energy to bake the two different kind of chicken and baked potatoes all at once. The salad is a quick fix as is the pasta. With this method I have introduced baked potoaoes to SS and he LOVES them now.

dragonfly's picture

do you all remember that show "we are killing the kids" or something like that were it showed a family with bad eating habits? then they show how they will look like at age 40 and they are all unhealthy. some of the cases here and my own look sound like the ones on that show...when the mom would cook something healthy the kids would cry and gag....