You are here

random annoyance of the day

Calypso1977's picture

my SD13 takes an obsessive amount of selfies. she also thinks that it is "cool" in selfies and/or family photos or photos with groups of her friends to do a peace sign and stick her tongue out. she looks ridiculous and has ruined more than one group photo.

her friends dont seem to do this. why doesnt she see how stupid she looks/acts?

lillfiredog's picture

My BD 15 and her friends all do this. Tonnes of photos of themselves. On FB, Instagram you name it. I find it insanely annoying too!

zerostepdrama's picture

My GFs and I used to dress up and then "model". Take pictures of ourselves in outfits and makeup. But we would run out after 24 pictures and then it would take forever for us to come up with the money to print the pictures. but when we did print them we would put them up in our room, give them to our BFs, friends, etc.

In this day and age, its like there is endless film and the ability to print the pictures and post them anywhere.

I think kids are vain. All of them to some degree. With today's technology it just makes it easier for them to have the resources since everyone has a phone with a camera and a FB or IG account.

step off already's picture

LOL! That's so funny. I used to do the same thing from about 5th grade till 8th grade with my friends - but we've probably done it less than 5 times. We'd dress up in a mix of Halloween costumes/ makeup / hairspray and ALL of our jewelery and think we were awesome punk rockers. (That probably dates me...)

So funny. I look at those pictures now and think about what dumb kids we were.

Calypso1977's picture

the comments on her instagram are nauseating.... "you are soo pretty" and the ones i find really disturbing is where SD (again, but not really her friends) will comment on a selfie things like "im so sexy".

its also hilarious that she refuses me access to her instagram and twitter but i can still see it all through her dad's login which he gives me free access to.

morethanibargainedfor's picture

My SD13 does this too. At least 5 selfies a day. These girls these days are obsessed with their looks and being accepted. All they want is to see how many comments and likes they can get and it validates them. SD will even post a selfie and say "oh I look ugly in this one" just so people will say shes pretty.
It's a game to them to see how many likes and how many followers they can get on instagram. They use the hashtag #likeforlikes. Which basically means if you like my picture I will like yours and then that brings their like count up.
I agree with the above that it is TRASH. It makes me sick. I had to delete SD from my facebook because I couldn't stand the selfies. And especially since BM would comment on them "so cute!" or "hot"!
On Friday SD's hastag was #imfuckinghot. I showed her dad and she got in sooooo much trouble!

Calypso1977's picture

yes, BM supports and encourages it. just like she liked all the posts of SD and her BF sucking face that SD posted.

classless, trashy, and these BM's wonder why their kids get knocked up.

YUP! I have discussed SD's behavior and boundary issues (way worse than just selfies)with my SIL who has a masters in Child Psycology and she told me without a doubt this child will be preggo before shes 16.
I have discussed it with SO and have tried to prepare him for the possibility of this happening. He doesn't want to talk about it or think about it but its reality. I know its coming.
These BM's just don't understand the impact that their lack of sensible parenting has on their children. They think they are the centre of the universe and don't understand that their kids actions and life choices effect the people around them and not just themselves.
Im just waiting for the day she comes home preggo and BM kicks her out to live with us. God help us!

Calypso1977's picture

i think my SD will be pregnant within the next 1-2 years. my fiance doesnt disagree. we feel totally helpless at preventing it.

How does your SO deal with that? How does he feel about it?
My SO says that if that happens then shes coming to live with us because he wouldn't want the kid to be raised by BM. I mean that's fine and dandy to have that opinion but I didn't sign up for a shitty SD and certainly didn't sign up for a SGD before I even have my own Bio kids!

Calypso1977's picture

he says BM can keep her.

trust me, she's the type that would LOVE it if her kid got preggo. it would mean SD would stay and live with her forever, and she'd get the second baby she was never able to have (she had 3 miscarriages before SD - mean to say, but i like to think those were a sign!!).

Dizzy's picture

It's gross. My BD17 (who lives with her dad) does all this same shit. Started about that age, too. I'm no prude--quite liberal in most ways, in fact--and even I find it completely inappropriate and totally disgusting. Just wait until men old enough to be her dad start leaving inappropriate comments. Blech.

FTMandSM's picture

A little off subject...I was watching Rich Kids of Beverly Hills and a girl wouldn't buy a pent house because the selfie lighting was terrible. WTF?? Seriously Selfie's are taking over the world...

My4kidsmom's picture

I have a digital photo album in my living room and after SD went off to college, I deleted every single picture of her off the photo album and my computer. I allowed her to visit for Thanksgiving this year and one if the first things she asked was "why are there no pictures of me"? Lol I very bluntly told her it was because I had deleted a of them and I walked away. Childish? Perhaps. Satisfying? Absolutely! It's my house and I will not look at one more picture of her if I don't have to. She filled the complete memory with selfies for years. Done!

abugandabean's picture

My friends and I call these moments the "irk of the day" lol. My SD 16 does this all the time too. Except she makes the kissing face in all of her selfies that are uploaded to wherever and she snap chats with it. I have trouble not giggling when she is doing it. I am scared for what is going to be around when DD is 16. ughhhhhhh

Orange County Ca's picture

If you're concerned about her getting pregnant take her down to Planned Parenthood or a nearby urgent care clinic and without using Daddy's health plan (he'll get a copy of the bill even if you pay the co-pay) and get her on birth control.

If you want to do it all up front coach her first then tell Daddy she was too embarrassed to tell Daddy but her periods are really cramping or irregular - you know the drill. Then make sure she knows how to put a condom on properly to make sure her future boyfriends do it right and explain how important it is she use both.

Remind her to take the pills every morning - put the pill on her breakfast plate.

I did this with my step-daughter because her mother couldn't handle the situation. To this day I'm not sure if it pushed her towards having sex when she did (around age 17) or not but she didn't get pregnant.

Calypso1977's picture

her getting pregnant is not my problem nor is it my place to get her BC. her mother works at a hospital she can deal with it.

fortunately the boyfriend is apparently quite smart and does well in school - has a good future in sports. hopefully he has enough brains for the two of them.