You are here

OT- My sister and i dont really speak, and today is her birthday

PeanutandSons's picture

My sister and I have had a rocky relationship for....well for as long as I can remember really.... But its been pretty bad for the past 5 years. She is very condescending, sarcastic, passive aggressive, selfish...you get the picture. She's the kind of person who makes herself feel good by putting you down.

We had a blow up 5 years ago where I finally stopped being a doormat for the sake of keeping the peace. We didn't speak for about 6 months. I ended up semi.g her to be in my wedding, which ended that stalemate, mostly to make my mother happy.... Our not speaking was really upsetting her. Well, she basically did what she usually does and did evrything in her power to belittle the event. Whatever, I blew it off for the sake of family harmony.

Well, since then and now we've probably have atleast 4 other "attempts" at forging a surface relationship which all end in us not speaking again .for months and.months until we are forced by some family function to be civil with each other.

Our last significant reaction was last August when I took the kids back home to visit for a week. She was her usual demeaning self, and I left that trip practically.in tears several times. Haven't spoken to her since (other than one join Skype session with my mom to tell her that we were expecting again.... She was once againn an ass.

She came to my state on Ava last month for spring break (the only 32 year old that I know that still takes spring break, but whatever). She texts me the day she arrived (didnt know she was coming til then) and asks me to bring the kids to the beach to see her. I did. We dropped our plans and drove the 45 minutes to spend the afternoon at the beach. She behaved herself pretty well, only a few comments, and a few eye rolls ect. Didn't ask anything about my pregnancy, pretty much just interacted with the kids.

So today is her birthday. I am not calling or sending anything. But should I text her happy birthday, or message her on fb, or do nothing?

PeanutandSons's picture

Sorry for the autocorrect errors....... Hopefully you still get the point

Forgot to add..... We have had two other point of contact si.ce august..... She's left two snotty condescending post of my fb.

Once in Dec.... I had posted that bs2 was so enthralled with the Xmas decorations and light, and how excited I was to have two little boys next year to get excited........ She replies back..... What about SS? Yeah, cause 10 yr old boys are often transfixed by Xmas lights and are excited to see bows on the windows?!?

And yesterday she write on my wall that I was being offensive to my Christian friends by not aknowledging the sanctity of the Easter holiday. I just deleted that comment,but its erased any sisterly feelings that I may have been having after the day at the beach.

OptimisticMe's picture

If she just wrote that on your wall yesterday, I would say no to telling her happy birthday. She will probably be a snot and tell your mom you didn't even wish her happy birthday, though. Maybe post it on her FB wall...I see that as no big deal. And then if she plays the sob card to your mom, you can point out that you posted it on FB.

What an unhappy person she must be. I bet she is horribly jealous of you. Sorry you and your sister don't get along...it is always horrible to have conflict within the family...but not always worth keeping the peace if it means sacrificing yourself or your happiness.

PeanutandSons's picture

She truly is a very unhappy person. Has been since we were kids. There is def some jealousy issues, but its with everyone, not just me. I just get it worse because I've always been her punching bag as the younger sister.

She's actually the reason I moved across the country. I realized that I would never get out from under her constant critisism and it was really begining to affect my self esteem.

PeanutandSons's picture

I completely agree with you. I don't give a flying rats behind about my own birthday. Heck, most years I even forget its my birthday until my mom calls me.

But my sister, on the other hand, does not share my feelings on the matter. One birthday a few years ago (before our first big blow up) I called her 6 times, leaving messages each time, and never got a hold of her. Last call was at 9pm. She was actually pissed and screamed at me for 20 minutes over the phone the next day about what a shitty sister I was because that was all the effort I put into calling her on her birthday. She was like 26 at the time.

PeanutandSons's picture

She's very toxic. Which is why I don't interact with her anymore outside of family functions once or twice a year.

And even that is entirely for my mother and fathers sake. We lost my little brother in '06 (he was a marine, and KIA in Afganistan) so the family has been fractured enough. I have basically disengaged from her. I don't instigated anything, I don't escalate anything... I just won't allow myself to in that situation so I remove her from my life.

OptimisticMe's picture

I'm so sorry about your little brother. Your poor parents!

Really, it isn't up to you to hold the family together. I have always been the "peace keeper" the "strong one", etc...and it really wasn't good for me so I stopped. The others are adults and they can just deal with the situation as it is...you don't have to "fix it" for them.

Be open with your parents about what has happened, your feelings and why you need to disengage to protect yourself. I'm sure they will understand and it will take a big weight off of your shoulders.