You are here

O/T Do you hate when SO says they will be home "later"?

geeps's picture

Does anyone else hate when you ask your SO when they will be home and their response is "later"? What does that even mean? I don't mind when DH works late, has to run errands, etc. But I like to know a good estimate of when he might be home for my own planning reasons. Often when he says "later" I assume around dinnertime and will wait up to make dinner or make sure I'm also back around that time to spend the evening with him. Then he doesn't show up until "later".

I'm like ya, I get it, you had to work late, or you had to go to 5 different stores to find your favorite organic bananas, or whatever, but you could have at least called and said I won't be home for dinner! Just venting. Despite my explanation, he doesn't seem to understand why I like a time frame. I'm not trying to be a nag, I'm just a planner.

MamaBecky's picture

I dont know I find it excessively rude when the answer to my questions are evasive. I expect a direct response. If I ask when you will arrive I want a time. If you are running late and not going to be arriving at said time I want a call letting me know. I find common courtesy is not so common. My H would never leave without telling me where he was going and when he would return and I wouldn't him either. Of course my H rarely goes anywhere without dragging me along whether I really want to go or not, so its generally not an issue. If I were to ask him though as you say when he was going to be home and he told me "later" I dont think he would ever make it out the door. LOL I definitely agree with you that it would be frustrating and I would having a discussion with him about his communication skills pronto.

epgr's picture

If I get the answer later, then I make the food and feed the kids.. I will make him a plate, and he can warm it up when he gets home.
If I waited for him the kids would be dropping like flies crying starvation..
I am a planner too, I have to we have had 6 kids here (down to 5, with one moving out in a month).. sometimes the plans are not gonna wait for him..

stepmomto2- alot of people ask me if DH is having an affair, he works with my son..it would take a set of nads, that he dont have, to do that! lol

maldita's picture

Me: "Babe, what time will you be home?"
DH: "I'll be home late"
Me: "Where are you going?"
DH: "Out."

Well after 5 years of this silly game of his, I finally played his game. I went out one Friday night. Did not tell him where I was going. Got a pedicure and a hot oil, went to the Asian store and took my SWEET time just looking around, and had some Asian din-din as well LOL. I come home around 8:30 pm, my usual is 5:00 pm and he acts like it was okay that I came home late. SD13 asked where I went and I said, "out" LOL. Well guess what? The next day he finally admitted that he was very bothered by the fact that I was out so late and he didn't know jack where I was! So I finally said, "your medicine doesn't taste so sweet after all huh?" }:) He's never done it since then Smile