You are here

O/T anyone's mother makes you feel like a child still?

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

i seem to be getting it from all angles today. my mother just called and asked if we all had something decent to wear for tomorrow. we are going to my aunts for thanksgiving. she offered to take me to the store if i didnt have a decent outfit.

i'm 30 years old. and my mother must think im going to dress sloppy for a family dinner. no, i dont do the whole real dressing up thing anymore, especially for bd. why should i buy a fancy dress for her when she is going to be playing outside the whole time with her cousins? and me? i dont do dresses. i have a nice new shirt to wear with my nice jeans and shoes to match, open-toe stilletos.

every holiday she does this. and it isnt to be nice, its to make sure she isnt embarrassed infront of her family. omg. i never dress sloppy when i leave the house, even if its to go to HER damn house for dinner or a visit. just because im overweight doesnt mean i cant look nice. i dress appropriatly for my size.

going clothes shopping with my mother is like hell. she makes a point to point out what i cant wear but she wishes i could, she makes comments like "well i guess ur only choice is this section" thats why i have declined her offer for the last 10yrs. she makes me feel like shit!

everyone in our family (cousins, aunts, uncles) dress comfy but nice. no one goes all out anymore. its a small apartment, we live in a warm environment, no one wants to sweat in nice scratchy clothes while stuffed together like the turkey.

NOT having a good day.

purpledaisies's picture

No my mom doesn't do that to any of us but to herself. We have to tell her she is not fat and the like. She really isn't she in in a size 1!

So sorry you are going through this. I think I would have to be a smart ass and say no mom we will show up nude and no you don;t have to take us shopping as we prefer to be nude but thanks. And say it as sweetly as possible! I'd say it every time she said something like that or at least say something that is such as smart ass comment that she will regret saying anything. lol But that is just me. }:)