You are here

shortest employment of my life

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

ot, but had to share. backstory: applied for daycare job, livescan background check came back it needed review. got a call at 7am from daycare asking if i could come in cause i was cleared by dcf and their other girl called out. i said yes, i was thrilled i was cleared.

ok so i quit at the end of my shift. the work ethic was pathetic! the assistant director (daughter of owner of establishment) told one mother "ur son is a great kid when he is behaving, but when he is acting up i just wanna kick him hahaha". :jawdrop:

dureing lunch, a child reached for her sandwhich (he is 2), she said to him "dont touch my freakin food! i have to pay for my lunch im not on foodstamps!" then tells me "i can tell which parents ar eon the stamps and i wonder though y they dont send there kids in here with tons of food" her attitude was almost like she thought people who get food stamps were trash. her whole attitude is she is better than everyone and her kids are better than everyone.

allllll day she complained about the kids and their parents. nothing positive was said! and when she showed me what i have to do in a day, she badmouthed the girl who called out sick. "i dont know why she doesnt do this or that" or "god how stupid is she to leave this out?" :jawdrop:

her mother, the director, basically told me they are lookin for someone to hold down the fort so they can go out to lunch everyday and be able to be out of the building for hrs at a time and not worry. they said they cant seem to find a compentent person to do and hope i am the one.

well im not cause ill be damned if im going to work in a place where they tell the parents they wanted to kick the kid cause he acted up. joking or not, its WRONG. badmouthing everyone, infront of the kids, is WRONG.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

Yes - good that you left. I had a very similar experience like you in a child care centre and I swear the director was having serious mental problems!she was mean to kids,parents and staff- i stayed nearly 10 month and quit then!!!

reallifedrama's picture

My first job after getting my teaching certification was in a "hood" daycare center. After three hours of being there, the owner asked me if I wanted to be the teacher supervisor, and about three minutes after that, she came back and asked me if I wanted to be assistant director.

I was, to put it mildly, overwhelmed at what I witnessed. Pretty much similar to the things you have said. In addition, they'd pick the children up by the arm and slam them down on their butts for things like whining. I worked in a two year old room. They told me I had to stop being soft, because "these kids don't understand nice!"

After two weeks, I had to look real closely at what I was doing. It wasn't what I set out to do as a teacher. Besides the fact I worked with....rather, I worked and two other people were in the room, with almost 30 two year olds,it was not a sanitary, educational, nor healthy setting. I felt like I was in some underground world. I couldn't sit there and just watch as these kids were treated poorly. I tried talking about it, but they just kept telling me, "Oh honey, you'll learn!"

I left. I wonder how many places "operate" similar to the places you and I have experienced.

If you like working with kids, some options for you may be as a TSS worker, an instructional assistant, and many after and before school programs are always in desperate need of help.

Also, if you have an education degree, you may look behavioral health and case management positions.

Sorry it didn't work out there, but just know you did what was best. I actually got lucky and got a call a few days before I quit for another job. Keep trying and you will end up finding the right fit. Good luck to you!

StickAFork's picture

The best news is that you passed the livescan!!

Weren't you the poster who had a hiccup with it and you thought it was because of SD?
If not, sorry.

RedWingsFan's picture

Definitely report them (at least to the parents), but unfortunately, places like this exist.

Glad you got out!

PeanutandSons's picture

Def report this center.

You really have to wonder about the mom who is told that someone whose watching her child was to kick him when he misbehaves..... And doesn't have any issue with that. Shok