You are here

OT---SSI WAS HACKED!

dispiritedstepmom2011's picture

checked for bd6's ssi deposit this morning, get it on the 1st of every month, and im negative 1.18! Sad 3 transactions during the night from canada! wtf?!?!?!?!?

so, now im screwed cause it will take 45 days to get the stolen money back. im so FUCKED!

StickAFork's picture

I think we seriously need to do a roll call to find out how many people on here get government aid. :sick:

Does this happen often? How do you know how long it takes? Contact your bank asap, report the fraud, and file the claim. Depending on your bank, they *may* credit the money back to your account in a matter of days.

What makes you think SSI was hacked as opposed to someone accessing your bank account fraudulently?

im not in the best of moods, but since i like how brutally honest u are, i will ignore ur first sentence of ur reply.

i know because i fuckin called the number to report the transactions.

StickAFork's picture

Was it your bank account or SSI that got hacked? Those are two VERY different things.

Look, I didn't say that people getting aid are evil. I've gotten aid in the past. I've qualified for the EIC, which is another form of aid for low income workers. I just wonder how many people on here get it, because it seems like there's always someone posting about food stamps, delivering babies via C section on medicaid, lots on disablity, etc.

If your account has been hacked, can you open a new account and set that up to receive the direct deposits? If it's SSI that's been hacked, there are WAY bigger problems...

BTW,IF you open a new account to receive the direct deposits, are there any credit unions around you? I've had issues with money being withdrawn fraudulently a few times, and I've found that the credit unions are much more consumer friendly. They had the money returned the next day. Both times. Different credit unions. Something worth looking into.

StickAFork's picture

stormabruin's picture

It is a corrupt program. On one hand, many people who benefit from it DO pay into it, so for many people it isn't entitlement. It is earned.

Sadly, however, the government continues dipping their dirty little fingers into it & helping themselves to what working people pay into it & dishing it out to those who don't.

StickAFork's picture

They do the exact same thing with welfare. They take money out of your check and give it to people who qualify.

"Qualifying" doesn't mean is ISN'T an entitlement program. Duhhhh...

Crazy_in_Ohio's picture

I thought they got a portion of just plan SS if one of their parents was deceased and it was based off how much money their parent made (or was SS eligible) and that was regardless of the remainining parents income. For SSI, Ithought it was an income based program for Disabled/Blind Children and Adults. (even age 65 and older can received supplemental SSI I thought) but I get confused all the time. Smile

But really neither here nor there since someones account got hacked and that sucks all the way around.

msg1986's picture

SSI is supplimental security income, it's for disabled children that have parents with low income.

If your account got hacked make sure you call SSA right away (800-772-1213) to update your banking infomation. You have until the 16th of November to change your info so that your Dec 1st pymt (which will be paid Nov 30th) will go to the new account...

Good luck <3

StickAFork's picture

"it's for disabled children that have parents with low income."

Thank you for proving my point.
ENTITLEMENT program.

What's with people not wanting to call a spade "a spade" on here? Damn.

thank you, yes i called them and filed a dispute for the transactions. i will receive a new card and also documents to fill out to finish the dispute and get back the money. it wasnt my bank account it was the ssi account.

my daughter gets SSI because she is disabled. so sorry to everyone who has contributed to it, i do appreciate it, i must be white trash now huh?.

so, now all i need is to be knocked up, have one crawling, one on the hip, one on the tit, one running around and a fuckin banjo.

u are all above me.

aggravated1's picture

I agree. That was a pretty nasty thing for her to say, and for no reason.

I am telling you-she can't maintain it for long-LOL

msg1986's picture

Well... it's actually not an entitlement. If the child was getting a benefit because their parents are deceased/disabled/retired then it would be entitlement because it would be based off of that deceased/disabled/retired parents earnings. SSI doesn't work that way, it's needs based so you're not entitled, you're being assisted by the government. It works just the way AFDC or TANF through the Dept of Human Services.

The program has a stigma to it though that everyone is "low life" or "draining the system". I talk to SO many people that have children that have cancer, autism, down syndrome, epilepsy... you name it and mom can't work and dad left because he didn't want to "deal'. People do what they have to do. There is nothing wrong with being on SSI.

misSTEP's picture

Contrary to what CERTAIN posters say, nobody should be judged for being on any kind of legal government assistance.

The people who can and SHOULD be judged are the ones who fraudulently receive these benefits or those who are taking advantage of them, not because of poor circumstances in their lives, but out of sheer LAZINESS.

There is SUCH a difference.

StickAFork's picture

Needs based is what MAKES it an entitlement program.

"you're being assisted by the government." Hence, government aid.

StickAFork's picture

I didn't say I was against it. I said it's an entitlement program.

My sister was born disabled... and died as the result of her disability as a teen.

StickAFork's picture

The sheer VOLUME of what appears people getting aid is what makes me sick. For a variety of reasons... the economy, deadbeat dads, laziness of parents, whatever. There are lots of reasons people get aid. It makes me sick that SO MANY people appear to get it.

Shouldn't our country provide enough opportunities for people to support their families WITHOUT needing government aid?

just.his.wife's picture

So your tanning the OP as receiving an entitlement payment, for her child who has a legitimate claim, with the same tar and feathers as those who exploit the system???

SAF: that is the most phukked up thought process I have heard in quite sometime. The BM in my life's arguement that Halloween is Satans holiday makes more sense than that... and considering the BM in my life has 2 (two) active brain cells thats saying ALOT!

An ENTITLEMENT is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. If the child is disabled, has a parent that is deceased or disabled then YES that child IS ENTITLED to payments out of the SSI program.

If the parent were at home, munching bon bons, refusing to work and sponging off every government agency out there that is called EXPLOITATION.

Sometimes SAF I think you say things just to get a reaction: please come to realize when you attempt to stir the pot you come away from it looking the fool or worse.

PS: Go tell your parents to pay back into the system ANY and ALL assistance they got for your sister. Otherwise you are nothing but the pot calling a kettle black as you reaped the rewards for any benefits your family got for your sisters disability as well. Even if it was just money some agency paid allowing your parents to spend their money on you to feed, clothe or house you instead of being broke due to taking care of your sister.

B22S22's picture

~~~ Bravo

Sincerely,
A Mom whose kids receive SSI Benefits from their Deceased Father (who, by the way,worked, paid into social security AND served in the military during wartime)

StickAFork's picture

PS: Go tell your parents to pay back into the system ANY and ALL assistance they got for your sister. Otherwise you are nothing but the pot calling a kettle black as you reaped the rewards for any benefits your family got for your sisters disability as well. Even if it was just money some agency paid allowing your parents to spend their money on you to feed, clothe or house you instead of being broke due to taking care of your sister.

They didn't take any money to support her. You made a HUGE f'n assumption here.

just.his.wife's picture

Really?

Honestly??

How does it feel for someone to assume something about you? Especially that your "sponging" off the government.

Hope you enjoyed your lil dish of how it feels.

StickAFork's picture

What did I assume about the OP?

I don't "feel" anything about the assumption that my parents got aid for my sister. It's just something someone "thought," and they were wrong. It doesn't affect my feelings.

just.his.wife's picture

SAF:

I just actually went back through and read all of your replies: These little gems were precious

I think we seriously need to do a roll call to find out how many people on here get government aid.

It's a government entitlment program.

"Qualifying" doesn't mean is ISN'T an entitlement program. Duhhhh...

"it's for disabled children that have parents with low income."
Thank you for proving my point.
ENTITLEMENT program.
What's with people not wanting to call a spade "a spade" on here? Damn.

Needs based is what MAKES it an entitlement program.

The sheer VOLUME of what appears people getting aid is what makes me sick. For a variety of reasons... the economy, deadbeat dads, laziness of parents, whatever. There are lots of reasons people get aid. It makes me sick that SO MANY people appear to get it.

Then I found this little gem

Look, I didn't say that people getting aid are evil. I've gotten aid in the past. I've qualified for the EIC, which is another form of aid for low income workers. I just wonder how many people on here get it, because it seems like there's always someone posting about food stamps, delivering babies via C section on medicaid, lots on disablity, etc.

Simply put, your a hipocrit or in your own words a 'spade'. It was ok for you when you needed it. But when others need assistance your going to post as if anyone taking part in a government program is pond scum. Surveys need to be taken to see which posters are on government aid.

Simply put: You make me :sick:

hismineandours's picture

SAF is just not rational on this topic. She tried to tell me that my dh did not provide support for his son because the disability payment that ss receives is not really earned income. She felt that dh should be paying on top of that out of his own disability income (although her logic is that does not count as support either as it is a government handout).

interestingly enought, for child support purposes and such not only is dh's disability payment considered income, the payment that my mil gets for ss is considered dh's income. Not considered mil's income, nor ss's income, but dh's income.

Disability and survivors benefits are completely different animals than a TANF check. These benefits are EARNED by what is taken out of a lifetime of paychecks. It is very, very difficult to get on disability in this day and age and often takes YEARS to complete this process. If someone is actually approved for disability then it is likely that there is a true need for it-AND that they paid into the system enough to qualify for these benefits. I am not going to say that there are not people out there who receive benefits that shouldnt-you are always going to have people that try and get one over; however with disability I really feel that the govt has become aware of this issue and make qualifying much more difficult. On one hand that's great-it eliminates the fraudulant claims however it also makes it difficult for those who are truly in the most need to receive the benefits that they deserve-from a system that they paid into.

I truly hope that SAF never becomes disabled and needs to rely on "govt entitlement" to care for her self and/or children. I am assuming that she would turn it down anyway since it seems to make her ill.

hismineandours's picture

I am not sure how children receiving the money their parents paid into the social security system upon their death is a hot button issue? Are there really alot of people out there that think that is wrong? What should happen to that money? Should the govt just keep it?

Or when a person becomes disabled, and begins to receive the money that they paid the govt for years really a hot button issue? That's why we pay social security-so that when we become too old or unable to work that we can still live.

Or a 6 year old child who is disabled and receives assistance with her needs from the govt? Is that really a hot button issue? Are there people who truly think she should not get govt help is she is truly disabled?

i guess I dont get it. People who choose not to work, never pay taxes or social security, and eat bon bons all day and get a check for that-well that IS a hot button issue. But that's NOT the op, nor any of the other folks, including myself, whom I've seen reply to this post.

Willow2010's picture

Sometimes SAF I think you say things just to get a reaction:
++++++++++++++++++++++
I'd say about 95% of the time.

imjustthemaid's picture

I feel like it is not anyones business WHY she is receiving this!! SAF-everyone is sick of you and your mean comments!! I am sick of it! You are very brave to sit behind your computer and pretend to be so above everyone on here. Its disgusting! I think you need to find a new hobby.

The point was that she was venting over being hacked and not having the money. That sucks especially when you have to wait so long to get it back. Maybe you can borrow it from someone until it gets deposited into your account.

Jsmom's picture

Man that was a horrible comment. SSI is for those that need it. I collect SS for BS17 since his father is deceased. I would have a hard time supporting him without it. He turns 18 in three months and it goes away.

Just when I could use it the most, but I always knew it wasn't forever. But, to call me entitled, when I work for a living and my taxes are more than happy to go back into the system so others can be supported. You give Republicans a bad name....

msg1986's picture

Just curious, when does your son graduate? If he's still in highschool after 18 he can stay on the program...

Rags's picture

SSI is insurance, at least it was before the idiot politicians took it out of the SSI trust fund and moved it to the general fund. Employed people pay in to SSI through the FICA portion of their payroll taxes at a rate of 7.5% which is matched by your employer. There is an inheritable element to SSI in the event the wage earner dies. Minor children are elegible for a reduced pay out of the deceaseds SSI coverage and so is a spouse who meets certain criteria.

I personally am extremely anti entitlement in any form but am supportive of SSI as it is intended to benefit only those who actually pay in to it. Once the idiot politicians turned it in to just another government give away grab bag and screwed it up many people who did not pay for it are getting benefits.

In my opinion the only people who should be getting any SSI benefits are those who meet the retirement age requirements or their elegible survivors which includes their surviving disabled dependent children.

All IMHO of course.

hismineandours's picture

Raising my hand here as someone who receives "entitlements" In fact ALL 3 of my children receive these government entitlements. SAF and I have already gone around about this one. My two oldest receiving social security survivors benefits from their deceased father. Social security benefits that he spent his life paying into it. The amount that they receive is based on the amount that he paid in. My youngest gets a portion of my curent dh's disabilty check (yep he's a slack ass that receives a disability check) Never mind that he also worked his entire life and served the military for 20 years with two overseas deployments during combat in which he got injured and can no longer return to the workforce. He's still a slackass if you ask SAF. His benefits are also based on what he paid into the system over the years.

In regards to your original post, we are not expecting our bonbon and cigarette money until the 3rd. I thought that was pretty standard as far as when the checks are dispersed. Ours are direct deposited into our banking acct. We've had our banking acct used on several occassions. We have been able to catch several of the charges and actually call wherever the goods were purchased (it's always been online) and stop the company from shipping the items out. Then we go get another card. Our bank has also refunded us our money the day of the report when we were not able to stop it. (someone bought a 4-wheeler in France once).

misSTEP's picture

You can only opt out under very strict circumstances otherwise this particular pyramid scheme would crumble immediately.

hismineandours's picture

this is a very good explanation for those that dont understand the system. I find soooo many people do not understand the difference between welfare/and insurance programs.