You are here

OMG!! Just gotta vent!!

candice85's picture

I just have to vent.... so we are on vacation, we are at six flags right now, so my SS won't ride anything just crying and acting scared. so my husband bribes him if you ride the roller coasters I will buy you a video game!! Ok let's not do incentives so SS does good in school or maybe act half way decent he is gonna give him incentives to ride a ride, and after he gets on it he will realize how fun it is anyway my husband is really stupid for thinking giving kids incentives for stupid stuff is a good idea next it will be if i buckle my seat belt can I get a toy!!!

Disneyfan's picture

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Plenty of parents will spring for a stuffed animal, shirt or toy if a child is brave enough to get on a ride.

That's better than yelling at or spanking the kid for being afraid.

WTHDISUF's picture

He would've done better to sell the kid on how much fun it'll be once he's on the ride or let him miss out on the ride and live with it. Parents give way too much to their kids for doing nothing. Then when they grow up and expect something for nothing or the world to give them accolades for bare minimum effort, they'll be sorely disappointed. Therein lies the trouble with thinking "oh just give them a little reward for being a kid". Teaching him how to be manipulative, waiting for a treat before he'll do his tricks. SMH

jumanji's picture

Not everyone can do roller coasters. I can't. So to punish the kid for ether being scared and not wanting to ride it, or to tease him for "being a baby"? CRAPTASTIC parenting.

candice85's picture

No one has or will punish him for not riding a roller coaster!! No one has called him a cry baby!!! I just told him to quit the crying he didn't have to ride anything then my husband pipes in I will get you a video game I you ride the rides with me!! So he is hopping on all the rides now!! I'm just saying it sad to give him incentives for dollar coaster riding when my husband doesn't give him anything for him to do better in school or for him to act better!!

Anon2009's picture

If you're bothered by something as small as the kid's not riding a roller coaster, there must be some bigger issues going on.

candice85's picture

I don't care if he rides or not I don't think a $50 video game is a good bribe for a child to ride a roller coaster!! I think it's stupid of my husband to bribe him for nothing!!

stormabruin's picture

I absolutely agree it stupid! Kid doesn't want to ride, he misses out on a lot of fun. I didn't mean it mattered to you. I meant, why would your DH be bothered by his kid riding or not. Especially being bothered to the point of bribery?

candice85's picture

I think It's like someone else mention I think he's trying to make him be more of a man.

PeanutandSons's picture

When my son acts like that I just say OK. Once he realizes that I am not going to cajole him or give him extra attention he almost immediately changes his mind.

We were at the water park last weekend and when it was time to leave the kiddie area and head to the pool he said that he didn't want to get in the pool. OK, just sit here by the towels then....no judge mend, no annoyance or anger....just said matter of exactly. Surprise surprise when 30 seconds later he says he changed his mind and now he does want to swim....and had a blast swimming.

PeanutandSons's picture

When my son acts like that I just say OK. Once he realizes that I am not going to cajole him or give him extra attention he almost immediately changes his mind.

We were at the water park last weekend and when it was time to leave the kiddie area and head to the pool he said that he didn't want to get in the pool. OK, just sit here by the towels then....no judge mend, no annoyance or anger....just said matter of exactly. Surprise surprise when 30 seconds later he says he changed his mind and now he does want to swim....and had a blast swimming.

BSgoinon's picture

Wow, I think a few responders missed the point.

I understand where you are coming from. Lets reward him for getting on a RIDE that he is going to LOVE once he gets on it, being at the park is a reward in itself. But he ISN'T given the opportunity for rewards for good grades or good behavior. Sounds to me like dad is more concerned in making a man out of him than he is in making a GOOD man out of him.

Shaman29's picture

^^^^^^^and this too^^^^^^^^

If the kid is truly terrified, the Dad should just take him somewhere calm and stop bribing him.

candice85's picture

Well, I dot know if he is scared or not, I took daughter 4 to the kiddie place and offered to take him he said he was scared of all those rides 2!!

BSgoinon's picture

LMAO. Sounds to my like SS has your DH's number. He knows he will get a new video game if he is oppositional about anything at all.

OMG_Why_Me's picture

Once the bribing starts It's all down hill.....get ready.....it's only going to get worse! :sick:

OMG_Why_Me's picture

Once the bribing starts It's all down hill.....get ready.....it's only going to get worse! :sick:

candice85's picture

Yeah it so funny now, we are getting a video game and suddenly we can ride everything!! Now he's jumping on all the rides.