You are here

Nutrition differences in the corona era

notdamama's picture

I'm having issues explaining nutrition to my 10 yr old SS since the lockdown began. Let me explain. The kids aged 12 and 10 stay with my husband and I during holidays and school closures. The BM generally gives the kids a lot of junk snacks and fast food. My husband and I have choosen to eat a balanced, mostly healthy diet mainly because I am overweight and have struggled with my weight all of my life and my husband wants to gain healthy weight. Both of us have immediate relatives who are diabetic (type 2) and hypertensive. The kids were living with us on a full time basis for a while because their BM was unable to take care of them and had no place to live. After she got on her feet they moved back. It was then that their behavior and food preferences changed, especially my SS. He no longer wants to eat healthy, just snacks, sugary snacks, mcdonalds and pizza. At the last doctors appointment (we also take them to appointments) we were advised that my SS not only was overweight but had gained 40 lbs in 3 months! The pediatrician was concerned that he was gaining weight too quickly especially since he was already at a healthy weight the at the last visit three months before. When we took the kids home to the BMs house and my SS told her that the doctor said he was overweight she told him that the doctor did not know what she was talking about.At my house this type of food, while available we treat as a treat not food. I find myself always having to explain why he cannot have a double big mac or pizza for lunch or why we have to eat vegetables or salad with meals. 

While the kids stay with us I am at a loss trying to explain why he cannot just eat anything. Not sure if I'm venting or need HELP! 

Btw the BM is also overweight even more than myself.

advice.only2's picture

You shouldt have to explain anything to him, his father should be doing that.  Put on my 600 lb life and let them watch that, maybe it will open their eyes a bit.  Also most obese parents have obese children because the parents do nothing for their own health why wold they do anything for their children's. 

Survivingstephell's picture

Parallel parenting takes care of this. What goes on in your house is up to the adults in that house and they don't need to explain anything to a BM or a skid. Period. If skid doesn't like the food he can go hungry. Sounds like he could stand to miss a meal or two, won't kill him and all DH needs to do is tell BM that it's not her business how he runs his home. That boundary should have already been in place.  Now more than ever, the adults need to be the absolute leaders/ authority in their homes.    IMO 

Rags's picture

BM is an idiot.   Counter her crap as best you can and keep the hephalump Skids tuned with the facts.  Eventually they  may gain clarity.