You are here

Need Advice

Green4go's picture

I am experiencing issues and don't know where to turn. Before I get into it, here is a bit about me.... I am a mother to a 22 year old daughter that I raised alone. Now where the problem comes in. About 2 years ago I became involved with a man that had a 5 year old child. When we decided to become serious I took on a very limited parental role. Now that we live together that role has actually decreased in size. His daughter comes to visit every Tuesday for 3 hours and every other Sunday for 23 hours. During her time with us, I spend it "harping" Do this, do that, don't do that. It has become very miserable for me and I am sure for her as well. I work during the visitation period as well which limits the ability to have family time. So my time is limited and what time I do have is spent unproductively. Here is my issue....I know how to be a parent but often feel as I am overstepping boundaries being a step-parent. I am unsupported and feel as if I am the only adult that is consistent, building moral development, and not just giving her what ever she wants. The basic family dynamic of this child is vey unconventional in every aspect, however she is certainly loved by everyone and is surrounded by 8 adults that love her, including myself.

With that information I need advice in several areas. The first being how to allow myself to not get upset when I feel that others are just catering to her every wim. Such as "I want my stuffed husky! Daddy go get it!...Ok here you go!" or cooking catered meals. These examples bother me bad and regardless of the parental conversations had, things don't change. And they are a consistent and every visit issue. I have attempted to remove my comments and encouragement to get things on her own, or try new things. It is now to the point that I say nothing and isolate myself in another room to prevent me from intervening.

The next thing I need help with is not feeling like I am shut out. For a year we lived in his parents basement and when I would make judgment calls such as bedtime, bath time, and so on...often his mother would override me. Now he does the same thing. For example my step-daughters mother texted her father and said she's grounded this weekend so no tv, videogames, phone and so on. while I was sleeping (I work nights) he took her to his moms and she was allowed to watch tv. Everyone aware that she was not to be watching tv but no one intervened and stepped in (giving her what ever she wants)I stated to her that she won't be watching tv at bedtime. Bedtime rolls around and her father just lets her do it. So I am struggling with accepting the fact that because this child is not mine I have no right to set boundaries. I am unclear of my role in this child's life and need help to accept that I have no role. It is not up to me to make or enforce rules set forth by either parent because when I do I am overridden. I have reached the point of being desperate and feel that my next step is to remove myself from the home during the times that she is there.

So yes, I need advice and welcome even the not so positive advice from parents and step-parents alike to help me see what it is that I am doing wrong and how to fix it.

momjeans's picture

I agree as well. Boyfriends/girlfriends should not take on role as primary, or even secondary, caretaker.

Green4go's picture

FruitSalad- You are making a correct assumption we are not married. We are however engaged. I appreciate your opinion about the level of involvement. It does offer perspective. We were living in the basement due to financial issues beyond our control.

Green4go's picture

Danielle- Yes I do feel that it is disrespectful that I am not listened to completely. We discuss the issues and within 1 visit things are reverting back to the previous normal. He pays attention but I am sure that it is guilt that he lost the court battle. I will stop addressing her directly and give that a shot. I am certainly up for trying things differently.

The catering thing is like this...shes picky (extreme picky), but not a small child by any means. So she is eating something well. The menu is planned by her likes and dislikes and the chance of eating what is prepared. So when she is here we eat the same thing all the time. I am not afraid of tantrums. However, I think he is afraid that she will eventually reject visiting or tell her mommy. I stopped preparing the meals as most everything ended up down the garbage disposal. Meals have been prepared that she requested...then refused to eat. So I gave up.

Thank you very much for giving me useful advice.

chamomileflower's picture

Sadly, I agree....the flowchart begins to look predictable:

BAU (business as usual)
this is how things are gonna go, unless your SO magically grows a pair. Unfortunately, in my experience that can only happen with a lot of personal work (therapy, self-discipline & self-honesty, good communication skills, CBT, etc).
Parenting skills are not easy to develop as an adult, as most of us just recapitulate what we experienced ourselves (even when we KNOW it's not good parenting), unless, as I said, we do the hard work of working out our own values and the even harder work of putting them consistently into practice. Is your SO willing/able to do that?
(This is very hard, btw, not least b/c your SO is a really part-time daddy...I think the term is "Disney Dad" or some such...he's prob. so afraid of his daughter rejecting him and telling BM she doesn't want to come over anymore that he's (too) desperately trying to satisfy her every whim...which eventually backfires of course...)

Project mode:
Are there other areas of your relationship where you and SO work well together to figure stuff out? Can you use that as a template for trying to get onto the same page about the child rearing? You'll be project manager in this scenario....

Collaborative mode (long shot):
And what about the BM? If she IS parenting more effectively, then maybe y'all need to have a meeting and talk about this stuff. Potentially fraught, I know! Just trying to think outside the box....but this could give SD consistency.

Lastly, could this be one of those cases where disengaging could potentially damage the child? I mean, won't it eventually feel weird to her that you are absent every time she comes over??? (I know, other options can also be damaging...) I'll leave it to the more experienced to tackle this one....

Good luck, let us know how things go...

Green4go's picture

Chamomile- He is willing to grow as a parent and acknowledges that his knowledge of parenting didn't come from the best source. He knows what he is doing and wants to change. One person can't force another to change. We talk all the time about it but the changes doesn't seem to be steady and slides backward frequently. So yes, I do a lot of coaching and guiding as well.

I just feel like I need support from outside the relationship right now. The BM is fairly uninvolved and sees her about as frequently as we do due to her work schedule. The child is mostly raised by her mothers ex-husband who resides with them and moms boyfriend on occasion. I am unaware of of their parenting style. I do know that supervision in general is probably rated less than ideal. But, that is just what I am told by others. I don't live with them to know what really happens. I can only account for what happens in our home. Yes, I feel that being absent isn't ideal by any means but I also believe that the entire situation is far from ideal. As I stated in my original post it is a very unconventional home which makes it complicated to boot. It is beyond my control and I can do nothing to change it. I feel to a certain extent we all work decent together and have occasional disagreements between the households as to what is best or how things should be done, such as whether or not she should have a cell, choice of extra curricular activities, and medical treatments. Those are battles that don't have anything to do with me and between the biological parents and the courts.

Thank you very much for your help.

uofarkchick's picture

So the mom, her ex, and her boyfriend all live in the same space? And why are they doing most of the raising instead of your boyfriend?

Green4go's picture

Uofarkchick- Her father is prevented by the BM from being involved beyond what is stated as minimal involvement in the custody order. She demanded Legal physical and sole custody. If his involvement goes up the CS goes down. And all of her kids are cash cows....Its all about the Benjamin's baby! So he wants the responsibility but she even went as far as blocking his involvement illegally from the school. He straightened that out this year. However, they still won't call him when things go wrong (BM requested they call his mother instead!). So she is a piece. As you can imagine almost 8 years of this has taken a tole on him and his daughter.

ChiefGrownup's picture

I vote absent yourself while she's there. It will make your life so much more peaceful.

You are not alone. This bizarre parenting style proliferates in dysfunctional marriages or however the parents were together then split up. I had no idea until it happened to me. And then I came here and found a whole tribe.

Just check into a hotel when she's there or go on a movie marathon. It will save your brains.

Or, as everyone says, just break up. Cuz it ain't likely to get better, especially with those grandparents hovering around.

BethAnne's picture

If your husband is willing to work on his parenting then that is great. Talk with him how he would like to work on it. Does he want to go to parenting classes, read some books, talk to a therapist or seek out information online? Make him realize that working in parenting is more than just half heartedly admitting that he could be better but involves actively seeking information and acting on that information. If he wants to listen to you and you two could work on a plan to tackle one behavior at a time. But that has to be you supporting him to parent and him taking the lead and backing you and your authority up where needed. If he cannot do that then your best bet is to occupy yourself with something else when she is there.

Also, a lot of families do not transfer punishments from one home to the other as it just gets too intrusive. So if your sd misbehaves at her mothers, then that is delt with at her mothers house on her time. If she misbehaves at your boyfriends house then that is delt with there.

Green4go's picture

BethAnne- So that was my thought too. Why should the punishment stick in our home as well? Despite the limited BM involvement although the child resides with her she is the ONLY one to EVER discipline the child. I was raised in a blended family and my punishments never held up in my mothers home.

He is willing to do counseling (which I think will be of great assistance). I think he needs counseling himself to deal with the guilt of loosing the court battle to begin with. I think he needs a professional to guide him in dealing with his mother, the BM, and the child. He want's my advice (but never seems to take it). I wait for the day that I can say told you so, (I know its cruel) but I have stopped helping, advising, and everything. Yesterday was the first try out and I caught myself biting my tongue A LOT! So yes, to just not be here seems like it would be so mush easier. I do have to say that he stepped up a lot but the idol threats kill me! A ton of talk and no follow through! And she knows what she is doing....She looks to me and smiles because she knows I would not let it fly and daddy will! So I just walk away and occupy my time in another room.

Green4go's picture

Sueu2- I am agreeing with you mostly. The only thing that I disagree with is the fact I do not live in his mothers basement nor does he. We did for less than a year and have been back on our own for an equal amount of time.

He and I sat down several nights in a row to discuss this....I told him flat out....She has 2 parents, albeit that they parent and have WAY different ideas on parenting you and the BM are HER parents so act like it. Parenting is hard and involves discipline, encouragement, and moral guiding and none of those should be confused with each other. I told him unless something goes dangerously wrong I am not stepping in. I told him if he didn't pay attention to bedtime and let her stay up all night...NOT MY PROBLEM. If he wants to let her sleep with a TV and lights on and shes over stimulated and stays up all night...NOT MY PROBLEM. If he wants to allow her to boss him around....NOT MY PROBLEM. If he wants to be a short order cook for her...NOT MY PROBLEM. If he wants to give her everything to avoid her tantrums and crying...NOT MY PROBLEM. Because I don't have to continue to choose to put up with it!! I told him I raised a well-rounded and wonderful child that learned that disappointment is a reality and it sucked. Parenting isn't like what tv displays it as so stop trying to be a Disney dad, unless that is what you want. If you want her to think of you as a pushover and a liar than continue. I told him that only when you ask for help will I offer and then I have to be convinced that you will absorb and listen to me. I also told him I was done spending time and energy looking for clothes, toys what ever for her because I get no credit and lets face it....she has EVERYTHING she needs not wants because of me. He wants us to be a family he says.....I told him FLAT OUT then you should have backed me, supported me, and not let everyone cut me down with this child. So she is legally the BM's responsibility and not mine. She is your responsibility not mine. I have zero say and at this time want zero say. I told him that I will be respected, my dogs respected, and my belongings respected in our home. I will not tolerate and deviation from those 3 things. Told him that means you set the example! So yesterday while she was here.....He told her NO and stuck to it more than I have ever heard and witnessed. At a Christmas party he gave her cake with out eating a significant amount of healthy food (1 celery stick dosent constitute significant in my book)....NOT MY PROBLEM and he dealt with the meltdown when she wanted more and he told her NO. When playing a game that she couldnt cheat in....we all continued to play and he LET her pout and cry when he didn't quit (as he always would to let her win and get her way). Every-time she stood, jumped or climbed over the furniture he corrected her (although doing nothing to stop it) So change is only permanent when CONSISTENT. So we shall see.

It was here that I found my way to verbalize to him my boundaries without making it sound like I don't want to be involved with her at all. He did tell me that I acted like and he felt as if she was inconvenience to me, and i resented her, or that I was just burnt out with her. I was able to correct that and reassure him that no, it was how I was being continuously disrespected and it was him that was doing the disrespecting and allowing her to do it because he was setting the poor example. I did tell him as well that at any point I can walk away because she is not my child and I have no responsibility to stay or be involved. I told him too that I don't want to be left alone with her because I can not be a Disney dad and I have rules. So if the need arises again either him or the BM will have to work it out.

Sabina's picture

WOW, I know all too well what you are going through. My husband does the same thing. He spoils his 2 girls so much that they no longer appreciate gifts because they have everything. The 19 year old gets $150 put in her checking account to just spend and she doesn't pay any bills. Car, insurance, school, housing, gas is all paid by dad. She goes off on road trips, trips by air just because she wants too. I'm afraid it will just get worse for you as they get older. I dated my husband for years before we were married but I didn't live with him first. My mistake. You learn a whole lot by living with a man first. I sure wish I could say something to help you, but I cannot. It is truly truly very hard to raise another mans children. I am seeing a counselor and she says I am doing all of the right things but if the man doesn't want to be responsible and step up, then I am fighting a losing battle. She is exactly right! I's very much struggling after 2 1/2 years of marriage. I'm 51 years old and want to make it work, but long for my quiet singe life. I have an adult daughter, that I don't get to see enough because I now live 45 minutes away from her. I ask myself every day, is this worth it? My counselor had me read the book "Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay".
Good Luck.