You are here

movies on divorced dads

SugarSpice's picture

there is the classic film mrs doubtfire about a man desperate to spend more time with his children.

and then there is ant man a super hero from comic book who is all for his little girl.

https://goodmenproject.com/families/ant-man-is-really-a-celebration-of-d...

CANYOUHELP's picture

I know, I am sooooooo sick of the nauseous Teapot commercial, are SD's uniting to keep this dang thing running? I must see it a million times a frigging day.

I am not certain how it will run with the next episode, but watch the new "Dynasty." Right now the SD hates the SM, like in most situations...LOL.

strugglingSM's picture

San Andreas centers around a divorced dad who is trying to save his adult daughter after the BM's new boyfriend / husband abandons her. When that happened, I glared at my husband, saying, "of course, it's the stepparent that abandons her." The main character ends up getting back together with his ex wife at the end.

Then the classic The Parent Trap that I used to love, but now can't stand because it's about twin girls who scheme to get their parents back together after meeting at camp. One lives with the dad and one lives with the mom. The one who lives with dad is mad that he has a serious girlfriend and the one who lives with mom is upset that mom is alone, so they both scheme together to get rid of the girlfriend and get their parents to fall in love again. I'm thinking more of the one with Hayley Mills than the one with Lindsey Lohan, because I'm old and have only seen parts of the Lindsey Lohan one.

Now, whenever there's a movie with a wicked stepmother, I give DH a look like "see, I told you everyone thinks stepmothers are evil."

I did see a movie called A Monster Calls recently, though, where one of the fables told by the monster is about a stepmother who is framed by her stepson. I wish there were more narratives like that in movies.

Also, there was a movie that came out recently where Katherine Heigl is the BM who can't move on, who terrorizes the new stepmom and tries to frame her for murder. I didn't see it and it looked terrible, but I was happy to see a portrayal of a crazy BM.

One thing that bothers me in movies about divorced dads is that the narrative is usually that the divorced dad is tricked by the stepmom. We love to think that men can't make decisions or figure things out for themselves. There are lot of stepmoms in movies who are depicted as trophy wife, gold diggers who are just out to keep dad's money from the stepkids. Tommy Boy being one example of that.

There are also the Daddy's Home movies with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg where the stepdad is a total geek and the bio dad is Mr. Cool.

ldvilen's picture

Just clicked on the link in the post above: This line, interesting: "They see one another, for the first time, not as competitors but as teammates, dads together, raising one awesome little kid alongside her mom." I wonder how this would go over, though: "They see one another, for the first time, not as competitors but as teammates, moms together, raising one awesome little kid alongside her dad." Maybe that should have been the ending to the Katherine Heigl movie Unforgettable instead? Maybe it would have gotten a much higher rating that way? Well, who knows?

SugarSpice's picture

i forgot to add the 2009 film "the stepfather." the step parent is a psycho of course.

its not the child is happy the parent is remarried. the new parent is always cruel or crazy psychopath.

how about a film trope where bm is always slutty?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepfather_(2009_film)

susan sarandon in "stepmom" dont know the story line on this one.

Acratopotes's picture

Oh the father was not very prominent in this movie, but it pissed me off.. the way he simple walked into BM's house, flirted with her, wants her to see the new wife as SM, heck even told BM they want the kids for half of mothers day...

the movie..

Mother's Day

SugarSpice's picture

i like the commercial on the insurance company where the son has a car accident and the mother immediately applies punishment like grounding or limiting internet.

a parent who isnt afraid to parent.