You are here

To the men out there???

cmulder's picture

How would you feel if you are getting married and your wife wants to keep her name from her first marriage?

Anywho78's picture

I asked my SO (we are engaged to be married in 2014) & he said HELL NO!

His friend said unless the name comes with money, like "TRUMP", it's a NOPE!

SO also said "guess we're not getting married then"...

Now they're both coming up with little sarcastic quips & laughing about it...

cmulder's picture

Funny...thanks for sharing! My husband would NEVER have been okay with that...just wanted to throw it out there because of another response I got in another forum...

Oi Vey's picture

I kept my previous name when DH and I got married. (My "xh" last name...same as my kids.)
Now, I hyphenate it.
It's just a name. DH knows I love him regardless. Smile Fortunately for me, it never bothered him!

cmulder's picture

I'm happy it worked for you. It would not have worked for me...and I'm curious to see the responses on this question. Thanks for sharing.

Kes's picture

When I got remarried to my DH, I changed my previous married name to his. I think it would have been inappropriate to keep my first husband's name.

giveitago's picture

I changed my name to DH's when we married, it really never occurred to me not to!

DH was adamant that my maiden name went on paperwork though, in place of a middle name, so I guess he would have taken offence if I'd kept my old married name?

It was easier for me to keep old married name after divorcing my ex husband since passport, driving license and all the kids' hospital and school documents (there were a ton of them) had that name on them. People knew me as Mrs. .... and would have had quite an adjustment to call me MISS ....

cmulder's picture

I kept my married name after my divorce also until 5 years later when I remarried. I just would not have kept my name from my first marriage when I married for the second time out of respect for my new husband.

giveitago's picture

LOL guess not! They all got their nut sacks tied up for halloween, or thanksgiving, or christmas or something??

stepfamilyfriend's picture

I don't believe in getting rid of one's last name. I think it's a romantic idea, one that makes one feel they "belong", but it's time to change that habit. Keep your maiden name and if you want add the spouses.
If I was a man I would not like my spouse to have the name of another man, but I would like it better if she also kept her name, as a symbol of her identity.