You are here

Looking back

Anon9876's picture

When I think about some of the ways I may have mishandled myself. I see alot.

You know when I was 18 I was impulsive and a little inpatient. I didn't necessarily consider the consequences of rushing to move in with an older man.

He wanted to wait a little while, but I put my foot forward without any regard for the resentment his kids might feel with me just up and moving in.

I wish things would have happened a little differently because if I were more patient the results might have been better. Our relationship'status reception might have been smoother.

I was young and excited to be in love and with a man I thoroughly enjoyed being around.

There were alot of things we could have done different in regards to SD.

Now that I look back I see a pattern: we would try to enforce responsibilities and if she started acting up and stopped doing chores, or something she would get what she wanted anyway. SO would try to discipline and when she would throw a tantrum it would be so bad that he'd inevitably give in.

So if no consequence was being enforced why would she be on her best behavior?

I was young and it was hard for me to understand my role in a new family dynamic, there are alot of ways I could have done better these past years.

First by learning to say 'no'. No you can't do that, no you can't have that. No you can't be disrespectful. No you can't drop out. No you can't have a boy over. Etc.

I guess I was do involved in trying to earn acceptance that I didn't fully understand the magnitude of the situation. My actions and inactions had consequences. So did SO's.

We haven't been perfect, but we did try. We also gave up too easily though. Parenting is not supposed to be easy. Being a role model is not supposed to be easy. I wish I would have understood that more before.

It didn't help that BM would take SD'a side when discipline was involved. She would talk about SO and all SD had to do was threaten to move in with her mom and he would give in. I wish that BM would have been more involved with her daughter and working together more with my SO and maybe alot of the behavior we see today wouldn't be happening.

I am trying to acknowledge my faults so I can be better. SO is doing the same.

I know we're not totally to blame for SD'she actions but we certainly could have tried to do more and SO should have put his foot down! Regardless of whether she 'might get mad at him'.

Anyway, I hope to update soon with good news and progress. It's gonna be a long road, but one worth going down.

marblefawn's picture

If it makes you feel any better, I did everything as right as possible, but still wasn't accepted by SD.

I  dated my husband for 10 years before we married. I was 41 when we married. We waited until SD was out on her own, but it didn't matter.

I knew she was going to be a problem, so I calculated, planned, tried to see everything from her point of view. I stepped so lightly around SD, never showed affection to my husband in front of her, always tried to include her, even asked her to be in my wedding. None of that made any difference.

I didn't bring kids into the marriage who would threaten SD's standing with her dad. It didn't matter.

I didn't have kids with my husband, so SD was and still is queen of her daddy's throne. It didn't matter.

I didn't even move in with my husband until THREE YEARS after we married, but that didn't matter either.

When SD melted down, screamed awful names at me, accused me of awful things, I never said a bad word back to her. In fact, I always forgave her and told her, "Everything's forgotten. Today we start new." It didn't matter.

SD was hostile from the start and she still is today, 20 years after I met my husband.

I think it's great that you're taking a good look at how things went down and taking whatever responsibility you *may* have for things not being better. But just so you know, all the planning and empathy in the world can't win some of these girls over. In fact, I wish I had taken a harder line with SD because I've always felt she used my efforts against me -- I mean, by trying to show her I wasn't taking her dad away from her, I got walked all over, humiliated and abused even more.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Anon9876's picture

Sometimes it's hard to tell where I was at fault and where I wasnt.

In alot of ways it feels like a lose-lose situation because it doesn't matter what I do it never seems to result in what I deem a positive relationship with SD.

Yeah, I mean, I know I'm responsible for a good many things that have happened these past few years, but I also acknowledge that you can't make someone's decisions for them or determine their behavior for them.

It's crazy that you've had to deal with so much from SD over the course of so many years. Has she ever thought maybe she plays a role too in the way your relationship has turned out? 

Or is it that she views you as taking attention from her dad off of her?

I know that's a big issue between me and SD. She's even got mad that we went on a date night lol. I mean it's really like constantly walking on eggshells.

Rags's picture

"Look you toxic fecal crotch twinky, STFU and back off or you will learn what a life of abject misery is."

I like the direct approach far better than the beating about the bush method.  It works. At least it did for us in dealing the shallow and polluted end of my SS's gene pool .... and in dealing with the toxic elements of my IL clan.

You are far more patient and a far better person than I.

I am sorry you have had to deal with this for 20+ years  and are still dealing with it.

What has your DH done through all of this?

Take care of  you.

Anon9876's picture

Lol. I'm not gonna lie, I am lacking in the direct approach method.

It's one thing I need to incorporate more often-directness.

My SO is a good man, but at times far too passive with his daughters behavior.

Any time things come to a head with his kids though he steps up to the plate and let's it be known he's got my back, which I am very thankful for.

Thank you.