You are here

Libel/ Slander

bubbles92399's picture

Does anyone know if I can file a libel/slander lawsuit against BM? This is the second time in court papers that she and SD have accused me of abuse. The first time they attempted to get a no contact order. They received a temporary no contact order last November but it was thrown out after BM admitted to perjury. Now they are stating "abuse" because my SD sleeps on the couch during her visitations. They have made several false accusations and it is completely ridiculous. I'm afraid that my son's father will get wind of this drama and use it against me. I don't know how to make them stop. Someone recomended that I file a slander/ libel/ perjury suit against BM but I'm unsure if I can do that.

Anne 8102's picture

How are you even involved in this?! Sleeping on a couch would be a matter she would take up against your husband, not you. I wouldn't think any judge would even rule on that, because it's not actionable. YOU don't have visitation rights, YOU don't pay CS, YOU don't have any legal obligation to SD... that's all your DH. You're not legally responsible for that child, so she can't sue you for a thing. I'd have it thrown out, and pursue the false accusation and harassment issues.

~ Anne ~

"Adjust on the fly, or you're going to cry."
Steve Doocy, The Mr. and Mrs. Happy Handbook