You are here

kinda OT- Maybe I am just too sensitive *rant*

Auberry2's picture

Ok, so my hormones are in full effect today, so that isn't helping this at all, but I am just so worn out from trying to be supportive and nice and have FDH's back and not feeling like he has my back. If I throw a fit about something then he will get it together for as long as the fit lasts, but that is about it. For example, I have been sick with a bad case of bronchitis. It was bad enough I actually stayed home from work for 2.5 days, which is unheard of, I never call in sick to work. Well, while I was sick in bed too weak to really do much, no house work whatsoever got done.

When I got out of bed three days into my illness I found every dish was dirty, all the clothes were dirty, the dog hair was starting to gather in drifts on the floor (I have two dogs, one Lab and one German Shepherd, I have to clean the floors daily to keep up with the shedding) trash was building up on the counters, on the table, and in the bathroom. My FDH was at home, he had been sent home from work for a week for some procedure violation at work. I went back to work still feeling really weak, and begged him, please clean up the mess since you are going to be sitting at home anyway. Do you think that happened? Oh, noooo. Because, you see, he had outdoor work that needed doing, and then he lost track of time talking to someone, and then he picked his son up from daycare to spend time with him and they went to poke around the things in his shed, and yadda yadda yadda, excuse, excuse, exuse.

I am so frustrated. The PMS doesn't help, but still, I feel I have every right to be frustrated. I have company coming today. an old friend I don't get to see often, and my kitchen is still a hot mess. I begged him to get it cleaned up, and he didn't get it done. I worked on it last night but didn't get it finished, I refused to stay up late and lose sleep when I had to get up and go to work the next day cleaning a mess he had four days to clean up. I don't normally ask him to take care of this stuff, but since I had been sick and hadn't been able to take care of everything myself, and he was off work, I didn't think my request was out of line. I want so bad to pile up everything he didn't get cleaned up on the bed and I will just go sleep on the couch, and just tell him since he likes his mess too darn much to clean it up, he can sleep with the crap. When he is working over time I am more than happy to do the outside chores because he is working extra hours and he is tired and I don't mind mowing and edging and and cleaning the yard because I know he is tired when he gets home. He doesn't have to worry about anything, his son is picked up, his dinner is cooked, his laundry is washed. How is it bad that I should expect the same support? I have been single for seven years, in that time I learned that there is no such thing as women's work and men's work, it is all just work. Apparently the same revelation has not hit my FDH.

He is a good man, but I am hurt and frustrated right now and need to vent. La, but I can't stand the thought of going home to that mess.

knucklehead's picture

He got suspended from work for a week?!? Holy cow.

As far as chores go, some guys just plain don't care. How did he "keep house" before you lived with him?

Auberry2's picture

He didn't do too bad a job keeeping house before we lived together, it is like, a switch flipped and he has a woman now so he doesn't have to do these things. Oh, it would get messy sometimes, but he would go through and clean it up in a fairly timely manner.

I don't mind things getting a little messy, it was just that I specifically asked him to do this one thing while he wasn't at work, and it wasn't done. I don't know if a list would help. I did get attitude about two months ago and put up signs in the kitchen that said things like

"I am a trash can, please place trash in me, remove full trash bags and immediately replace with empty bag" and

"I am a sink, not a garbage receptacle. Do not put trash here."

Because kitchen cleanliness seems to be a problem with FDH. He does things like putting wrappers and trash in the sink, piling boxes up on the counters and the stove, doing that doesn't phase him. LOL, the signs ticked him off, but they did work. I might replace them...

my.kids.mom's picture

This is a psychological issue. I realized this in myself. When I am single, I can hang window treatments, clean out gutters, do yard work, etc. but when I am with someone I wait for them to do it. I don't know what it is...but it is really weird LOL. Maybe the expectation that if you are with someone, you expect them to help out.

My bf lives with his adult niece, and has an issue with her lack of desire to clean. She is disabled, and I know when he moved her from her old place she was living in absolute FILTH. So I told him he has no right to expect her to all of a sudden see the filth and care about it just because it bothers him. That's the way she is. If he wants it clean, he can clean up!

I'm guessing your FDH is kind of a mix between both these scenarios. You are there, so you will get to it eventually. And really, the mess doesn't bother him because if it did, he would clean it up. You can show him by not doing the yardwork next time (in which case you might find that doesn't bother him at all...) or if you just want the house cleaned, hire a cleaner when you are "down" and then you won't have to deal with your FDH being a slacker!