You are here

Just a rant

Thisisnotus's picture

November happenings and only 16 days in.....

$1000 CS to BM- sent 

Additional $200 for some med bills the day after BM requested- sent 

$100 to senior pics for SD17 - sent 

$240 in college application fees for SD17...paid for by DH...check! With no asking BM to help... check check 

BM had SD deliver all the forms for cap and gown and class ring to our house....so by Nov 30 that will be a check.

$80 yearbook for SD - check 

I can tell you that I could cry.......and the month isn't over yet.and yes we have both SDs half the time so add in that cost plus the spending money DH gives SD17.

I've got 3 other kids and our shared toddler and here I am spending the last week debating a $300 dollhouse purchase for our toddler for her Santa gift......to which DH said was too expensive....efff him....she might get 2. 

ive never brought up this topic but I feel like I need too....we shop a lot and eat out a lot so I don't know how to approach it.....

BM sucks and won't do shit...so SD wouldn't have a year book or go to college if it were up to BM....so DH feels he has to do it all....which he does..all school clothes all supplies all sports physicals and gear...all.

ugh I am fed up

tog redux's picture

Yes, this has to be discussed - but maybe in the form of a general household budget discussion.  Figure out how much you are spending on eating out and shopping as well as on SD and all the other kids. 

If he won't make changes, consider separating your money, though it sounds like neither of you are great at budgeting or spending wisely.

Thisisnotus's picture

Good idea. I have never budgeted in my entire adult life and I'm 40 so maybe it's time.

i guess we do like to spend money...our home is paid for so that helps to give us a chance to spend more freely....

it just irritates me for DH to send CS but have kids half the time and pay for everything....CS was calculated on him rarely seeing the kids...a 50/50 calculation would have him paying zero!!!

tog redux's picture

Yeah, that sucks.  I agree with Gimlet that it's time for SD17 to ask BM and/or pitch in to help with these costs herself, but you know your DH won't do that.

It can be really eye-opening to realize how much money you are spending and where. A budget doesn't mean you have to follow it to the letter, but keeping track of spending can help you figure out where you can save. And maybe open a discussion about why so much more gets spent on her than on your kids. 

Thisisnotus's picture

I really do want to do this so thank you! I'll probably puke when I see the restaurants haha 

BM just won't do anything.. she is just drunk all the time. She won't even help SD fill out her financial aid stuff for college.....I already told DH that our income will NOT be going on that and there will be NO parent loans for her college from this house...none.

I think tomorrow I will go over the last 2 or 3 months and list all things kid related......when I count his CS to his kids it's going to mind blowing.....

CLove's picture

I think that with that amount of child support as well as the medical, SD17 can now pay for some things and BM can help with college apps. Who is paying for SD's college?

In California, its all based on income as well as visitation. And you can still end up paying. DH pays 347 for SD14 Munchkin. He pays for SOME extras. We will be providing a car as long as she has a job to pay for insurance and gas. And has a license. She will need to take out student loans and apply for grants, for college.

Definitely agree that budgeting will help you get a better handle on how to handle things.

Thisisnotus's picture

There has been no discussion of college between DH and BM. I think BM would like her not to go....so she never leaves home. 

Merry's picture

Those budget spreadsheets can be pretty stark. If you project your budget based on the last few months of actuals it really is an eye opener. It was the ONLY way I could get DH to curtail his ridiculous spending. That and me getting upset, which got him upset, and made money more emotional. Making it LESS emotional was the key for me.

I get irritated at DH for buying stupid sh!t that we don't need, but truth is if I want something badly enough I'll buy it. So his four $50 things might irritate me, but somehow my $200 dress is ok. I've had to get a grip on my own brand of crazy. 

shellpell's picture

The TrueBill app is really helpful and eye-opening when it comes to showing you how much you are spending and where, as well as letting you know of upcoming bills.

Harry's picture

So credit card just becomes another expensive that has to be paid off before SD exter money.  Unlesd you make a stand nothing is going to change.  DH has to be afraid of you more then his ex 

WickedStepmother_'s picture

I totally feel this. I wanted to go on vacation for my baby's first Christmas. We don't have the money to do it because his BM gets $1,300 a month in child support each month and his kids got over $2,500 in Christmas gifts this year. I've spent $50 on our baby for Christmas and he hasn't even talked about what he or the kids will be getting him. We also have to figure out how to find the money for a lawyer and to pay of their old bills they had together. 

The_Upgrade's picture

Can you talk DH into seeing a financial advisor with you? Spin it as a team thing that the two of you need to tackle together even though in reality he's the one that really needs it. DH used to overspend on SD too and if I said anything he'd dig in and get defensive over it. When we went to our financial planning session the advisor told him he would mot have enough to retire on. If he were to die tomorrow his toddler would not be able to have the schooling he plans to put her through. I would have to sell our house and scrape by as a single parent on reduced income or pay for daycare. It was a huge wake up call when the numbers and taxes were crunched right in front of him by a professional. 

TheAccidentalSM's picture

Thisisnotus, you mentioned that you are 40.  This is the time to get serious about your preparations for retirement.  You should be socking away all the spare money.  No one want to a broke senior.  Getting some professional financial planning help will really make a difference if neither you and your DH are budgeters.

If you don't want to do this, seperate your finances.  Have a joint account for household bills but keep the rest of the funds seperate.  The downside to this is your DH might not be trusted to be planning for your financial future together even if you are and you might find yourself carrying him in old age.

tog redux's picture

Yes, this. Your DH is spending too much, but honestly, I wouldn't personally buy a $300 dollhouse for a toddler, either. 

Make sure you are on track for retirement before anything else.  DH and I have the joint account and then 2 separate ones. We are both frugal and live way below our means, but we both like to have control over a portion of our money, even if we see it all as "joint" in our heads anyway (in the sense that if either of us dies it goes to the other).

Seems like both of you could get a handle on spending and things would be less stressful.

Thisisnotus's picture

I enjoy buying nice things for my kids.....I don't buy expensive things for myself but for them I do....I always have and I always had super nice things as a kid...so that's a hard habit to break....

I am not stressed about money in that way....I'm just super annoyed that DH keeps paying for skid stuff on top of CS....like enough is enough....

tog redux's picture

Well, that's a form of stress about money - that he's sending so much shared money out of your home to his kids.

Thisisnotus's picture

Oh yes for sure! I just meant I'm not stressed about retirement and what not.....I'm angry when I see the money fly to them....often times right after I've told my own kids no to something....that is stress for sure.

Thisisnotus's picture

I enjoy buying nice things for my kids.....I don't buy expensive things for myself but for them I do....I always have and I always had super nice things as a kid...so that's a hard habit to break....

I am not stressed about money in that way....I'm just super annoyed that DH keeps paying for skid stuff on top of CS....like enough is enough....

Thisisnotus's picture

I agree. He can retire in a few years (he isn't) with a great pension....it's very very good. And our house is paid for which we will majorly downsize in the future....but yes I do ageee we need to do more planning....

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Not all great pensions include great health care. Have you done a deep dive into your DH's retirement benefits?

I was shocked at how paltry my DH's retiree health care is, especially for dependents. We have retired, childless friends who pay $2300 per month for health care, just the premium, because they moved out of state and their retiree coverage costs drastically more for that.  

You and your H need facts, solid numbers, and a financial PLAN. He keeps blowing money because he's a Disney Dad who has no real understanding of his financial position and no financial goals. I make my DH pay the bills with me. Why? Because otherwise he'll spend more. Seeing those outgoing numbers keeps him in check.

You REALLY need to separate finances again and find a financial advisor. Maybe get your H to commit to some Dave Ramsey courses with you? Let him go back to a much smaller pool of money, and see if that affects his spending patterns. Start putting your kids' cs into savings and challenge yourself to live on just your salary. Are you saving for your bios' college? Unlike your skids, they have two parents making a good living so it's possible they won't qualify for as much financial aid. In essence, you're taking away from them to subsidize your H's spoiling of OSD. Please don't be okay with that.

Winterglow's picture

There was a poster here who used to take an equivalent sum out of the bank account and deposit it into a savings account when her DuH would do this. Apparently, he got wise REAL quick when he saw how much money was vanishing. Maybe open a bank account with that intent today?

I think half the problem is that they only seem to see the last sum to go and not the accumulation over the month(s).

Thisisnotus's picture

I do want to do that but damn it's so childish and I hate that it would come to that....we are 40 and 50 for gods sakes....and can't even have a simple conversation about it without it ending badly and me being a bad guy I'm sure...

Winterglow's picture

Youi're looking at it wrong. You're thinking "tit for tat". It isn't that at all, it's materializing the sum. It's making him realize just how huge the amounts are. It isn't for punishment, it's for illustration, enlightenment. 

24 years as a SM's picture

DAH has no control when it comes to spending money, I tried for many years of sitting down and talking with DAH about his spending on his daughter SD38, also known as Leech. This was the only way to get him to understand just how much money he was spending on her. Most of the crazy spending was after she became an adult, so you have so much to look forward to. We are 59 and 65 years old, age has nothing to do with controlling spending, it has to do with being able to retire and have a comfortable life.

Read my blogs and you will find out why I do this, Leech is no longer in our lives, I don't have to worry about DAH's out of control spending. Walk a mile in my shoes, before you call something childish. By the way, I didn't take double of what DAH was spending on Leech, I took 10 times the amount, both of us have a very nice retirement nest egg, because of our agreement.

So my suggestion to you would be to talk with your DH and see where he stands about cutting back on his spending. If he refuses to cut back, than I suggest that you split your finances and split the cost of household bills.

Thisisnotus's picture

I wasn't calling it childish....I was just saying it would be childish of me to play games and start taking money without first talking to DH about it...we have never discussed it. If I talk to him and it still happens....then it's game on!

Winterglow's picture

How long have you been married?

Thisisnotus's picture

I am not sure....I just recently had a bit too much to drink and laid into him on a different issue.....to which I was the bad guy...

I will do it soon but i already know it won't go well. 

Rags's picture

That failed men with failed families that they cater to hook line and sinker suck in even more victims to their lives as failures never ceases to boggle my mind.

Even more mind boggling is how many women tolerate the crap year after year.

Worshipping and supporting the X and the failed family progeny for one penny more than CS or what is otherwise COd is not the best choice for building a new life and new relationship.