You are here

its a seriously small world

butterfly2010's picture

I was speaking with my brother last night on the phone after i received an email from my SIL in regards to her latest drama with my not-so-perfect neice. I love my neice to death, but do not like her because of what she is putting my SIL (her SM) through.

My brother is an asshole. He told me that all SM's are the same, trying to get rid of the skids if they make one little false move. He said he was ready to divorce my SIL because all she does is spread their dirty laundry around. He doesnt think that my neice has a problem, that she is only upset over her BM and SIL is the one there so she "needs' to let my neice vent! OMG! he is basically giving my neice permission to be a total little bitch to SIL!

I told him about this site, how I was finding some great advice on here, and he laughed and said that I shouldnt tell SIL about it (he doesnt know I already did), because his neighbor (who just moved recently) his ex was on here and she went "crazy' as he put it, because of the "crap" she read on here, how the advice she got "made her hate an innocent child who did nothing wrong to HER SM." and he doesnt want SIL to get the same type of advice.

This neighbor, as i recall from a few summer and winter visits to my brother's home, was a real asshole who had a smaller version of him for a daughter. My neice and this girl were NOT allowed to play together, as the neighbor girl was a bit "strange." i remember one visit when the girlfriend or wife of the guy would storm out of the house with the little one, screaming back at the guy.

Anyway, I told my brother how maybe that girl just got a bum-deal and maybe SIL would benefit from being part of a site to just vent. He insisted that she shouldn't. and that she has nothing to vent about, my neice was fine, just a little bit in need of support. Its so funny how he kept trashing this site and the neighbor girl. well, not funny, that was sarcasm. I think wht I mean is, SIL is at her breaking point. And I am scared for her. I am thinking of disowning my brother.

butterfly2010's picture

*NOTE: we SM's do NOT always want to "get rid of the kids." I love mine, and I know SIL wants to love my neice but how she makes it hard. My brother needs to get a clue on what his precious princess is doing.

Denial's picture

We don't want to get rid of them - we just want them to be respectful - they don't even have to like us. We want the parents to parent them so they become productive members of society who are well-functioning.

Just act like well-behaved children is all most of us ask. I think everyone can agree on this - if we wanted to get rid of the Skids, we wouldn't have gotten married in the first place because we knew they were there already.

Maybe your brother should look at this site to see from others perspectives what we go through as step parents. Maybe it will help him put himself in SIL's shoes. Someone the other day posted A.C.C.E.P.T. - try to find it and print it off for him.

Denial's picture

Found the post:

Found this article on www.stepmommag.com, this is only a part of the article but I thought most on hear would enjoy it.

In my experience as a remarried father, I've identified six things dads with children need to realize they owe the new loves in their lives. I'm recommending them directly to dads in the hope that it will help them A.C.C.E.P.T their partner's needs alongside their own.

Appreciation
As a remarried dad, you may feel you’re the one being pulled, stretched, and needed -- and you undoubtedly are. But consider the stepmother: Her life has been invaded by forces she agreed to but never signed up for. Like you, she is physically anchored to your children. Being with you means she cannot pick up her life and move somewhere else. Being with you means sharing an income with your last partner. Being with you means relinquishing more privacy than she ever thought she’d have to give up.

Commitment
That ring on your finger says nothing about children, but too many couples let parenthood absorb and flatten their marriages, wounding and sometimes killing it. Regardless of the status of your dadhood, your wife deserves a full-time partner who is unequivocally committed to the one-on-one relationship. For that matter, so do you. Being committed means doing everything you can to protect and preserve your marriage.

Compassion
Compassion means knowing your children bring their joyous, funny, wonderfully curious life-force to your wife’s world… but also their germs, dirty dishes, sleeplessness, and incessant noise. They leave raisins and Apple Jacks in between couch cushions, toilet seats up, and toothpaste on the sink. Your wife’s formerly pristine car is now a repository for used tissues, melted lip balms, sippy cups, library books, random toys, and bulky car seats. Compassion means knowing your wife pays a price for devoting herself to you, and making sure she gets a return on that investment.

Empathy
You may know what to say about your ex in front of your new wife (hint: NOTHING), but your children don’t see those boundaries. They will constantly compare your wife to their mother – hairstyle to hairstyle, cupcakes to her cupcakes, jokes to jokes -- a constant reminder that while your wife may love your children, she will never in fact be their mother. A spontaneous gift now and then will show you’re paying attention. But listening, understanding, and not defending yourself when she expresses frustration is infinitely more valuable.

Patience
Your wife will have moments of understanding and willing sacrifice, and other moments of impatience and deep frustration. Be patient and have faith that any love you offer her, especially when she’s down, will be returned to you in time. In a solid relationship, love is a default state.

Time
Children gobble up time like they do M&Ms. But make sure their appetite doesn’t consume too much one-on-one time with your partner. Whether you book it in advance or create it spontaneously, your time is the best thing you can give your wife, especially when you have children in the house otherwise demanding it.

Denial's picture

I'm glad it was posted the other day. I printed it out and gave it to my stubborn DH - he actually read it and said "I guess I've never thought of some things from that angle"

The part that hit him was how I get "involved" when it should be a matter of Bios and why it drives me nuts. When $$ is involved - I already share my income with her and her continual demands affect my bank account. I get crazy because for a while, we'd go without while she drove her fancy SUV with her Prada shoes. I will have a say - it affects me, my $ and my household. For a while, he denied it and didn't feel I was entitled to how things were handled.

Guess what buddy - I provide insurance on SS, I will have a say. She wants more money - it comes from our account - I will have a say.

Hope it sinks in with him.