You are here

input

silver ring's picture

Hello, everyone,

I don't want to bore anyone with my story, but I have a predicament.

Background...My husband and I have been raising my stepson( he is my husband's son from a previous relationship) for the past 7 years( child is now 9 yrs.old). Bio mama was living the good life in Atlanta and did not contribute with one dime to raising this child...aside of what she was paying for him while the kid would spend holidays with her). My husband is in school right now-full time- getting his master's degree as a physician's assistant. Demanding schedule, a lot of money spent on books...in addition to that raising a child...Anyway, we can make it.
Back in June of this year, bio mama decides that she wants the kid to live with her. She does not have a constant job. She is a kept woman...if you know what I mean. She stops receiving money from her benefactors...reasons unknown; gets evicted from her apartment and goes to live with her parents. For the past 3 weeks , she has been constantly arguing with my husband about me not going to GA to visit my stepson whom I helped being raised, educated etc. She is saying that the child does not want me there. Needless to say, I have a good relationship with my stepson. We visited him 3 weeks ago and he was happy and did not complain about his father not spending time with him. But all of the sudden, he does...according to his bio mama.
My husband is tired of dealing with her lunacy.( She is manic-depressive). He also told her that he is not coming to GA unless I accompany him.

What shall we do about the whole situation? Why is she acting like that?

At this point, I am very sad because I took care of this child( not alone, of course) for 7 straight years and I am not good anymore.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

robin333's picture

It's probably BM'S jealousy. Did DH agree to letting SS move into BM'S home? Do you have a CO?

silver ring's picture

Unfortunately, we do not have a court order. When my stepson was 1 yr. old, my husband filed for full custody, but she did not come to any single court date. After a year, she asked my husband if he could take care of the child for 2 weeks while she had to deal with some personal issues. 2 weeks turned into 7 years. She has the primary custody, but we raised the child. And now, she has demands.
My husband should have not accepted to take the child without a court order, but he was tired of so much harassment from her part and money spent on lawyers.

robin333's picture

Yes. And he should not have let him go live with her since she isn't in a stable environment.

Hopefully some of our more lawyerly (I know that's not a real word)will see this and give you some advice.

robin333's picture

I'm not criticizing you. This step world is hard to navigate. You are fortunate to have a DH that doesn't allow BM to dictate or disrespect you.

silver ring's picture

Indeed!

silver ring's picture

Robin,

I did not take your reply in a critical way. I know it is a mess and being a stepparent is not easy. If my husband allowed BM to disrespect me, that would be the end of our marriage. No questions asked.
BM would very much like to dictate, but she knows that she will never be able to do that especially with me. She is just causing frictions. She will come back and say that she can't take care of her son. The sad thing is that she is manipulating the child and turning him against his father.
But my husband had enough of her lunacy. I am not making excuses for him, but I know the ordeal he went through.

Rags's picture

Why did your DH surrender custody? What he needs to do is get his kid back from the XWBM concubine.