You are here

I messed up....again

milknosugar's picture

Sorry this is long and a bit all over the place. I think I am losing my mind. True.

BM is after DH. That's what I think. She turned up at our family outing alone last weekend, thinking I wasn't there and was heading our way but when she saw me she ended up just kind of hanging around at the back of the room. Then she showed up at our house thinking DH was here alone, asked me if her son was there (1/2 an hour before school finishes). They spent some time together a week before at their son's sports during the day. That's a whole other resentment I have - I was working. Someone has to earn the money to pay her for sitting around all day doing nothing. How nice would that be to spend the week at your son's sports event (SS is 14)? But back to my point.

It makes me insecure that she is after him. That's because I found out 6 months after I met DH that they were still talking about getting back together again when he met me. I watched them break up for 2 years. It was horrible. Lawyers, anger, hitting, CS, custody, counselling.. I hate how it has made me. I was happy. I checked with him before I fell in love to make sure no one was on the scene. She came to see me after a few months and told me she still thought of him as her husband. I wish I could get it out of my mind but she is always there - texting or emailing or ringing the house. And now she is turning up when she knows we are going out and she thinks DH is alone.

DH isn't talking to me today because last night I had another major episode of insecurity. He thinks it will never end. He says it is all in the past and I should get over it.

I asked him if she tried hard to get him back would he go. I know I shouldn't ask stuff like that. It makes him angry when I am insecure, which makes me more insecure. Sometimes I think my insecurity will end our marriage and yet there sometimes doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. I need to know the truth.

He says when I ask that it makes him feel bad. Like our relationship doesn't matter to him. He says if I think she could snap her fingers and he would go back, then I married the wrong person.

I guess I see what he means but I wish he would respond differently to my lack of trust. I said to him last night I was sorry I made him feel bad but that I just need to know he won't leave me and he loves me but he gets too angry to see I need his reassurance. Sometimes his replies are vague and wishy washy. Like when I asked him if he could ever feel anything for her, he said he couldn't imagine it but anything could happen - he can't predict the future.

I know if my ex wanted me back, my answer to DH (if he asked me would I go back) would be no. Never. Simple.

Ii am not sure what is destroying our marriage - my insecurity or "the love of his life and mother of his children" who left him for another man but they apparently had a happy marriage and she was the perfect wife who broke his heart.

Help! Sad

milknosugar's picture

I wish I had left him then too. I don't think I realised what I was in for. She is always going to be "there". He was adamant that he wanted me, not her, and I believed him. I was in love and it hurt so much I was weak and stayed.

I agree that he may be encouraging her. I think that is partly why he gets mad - defensive. Or it may just be that he is sick of my crazy head.

Everything was ok until they spent that time together to watch their son play sport. He gets mad when I say they "hung out together" and insists it was all about his boy. I asked if they sat and talked and stuff (showing my jealous insecurity again sigh). Now she is acting like the woman scorned and her Mum is mad with DH as well. I don't think that stuff just happens on its own.

My head says it's ok but my instincts and emotions are going off like fireworks.

knucklehead's picture

You know, this is my story from the other side.

I have now twice in the last year spent at least an hour talking with my XH in person. Once at a restaurant, and once just outside.
My DH knew, was fine with it, and never grilled me on what was discussed, how long, was anyone around, did he make me smile, etc.

Because he's confident I'm not interested in XH.

You don't have that confidence, which looks like a solid combination of your personal insecurity and your DH doing nothing to relieve it.

forestfairy's picture

"Like when I asked him if he could ever feel anything for her, he said he couldn't imagine it but anything could happen - he can't predict the future."

What the hell kinda thing is that to say to your wife who is feeling obviously insecure?!?!?! What a dipsh#t.

I wish I knew what to tell you, I would feel insecure about that too, especially with the vague wishy-washy responses. That drives me bonkers and makes me question everything! Have you noticed anything suspcious lately or do you think it's just your own insecurity?

milknosugar's picture

See my reply above. He says he didn't encourage her (apart from being friendly).

I think a couple that has been together 20 years probably knows how to communicate without saying anything. I think she picked something up from him and was encouraged. The sad part is that maybe she picked up he isn't happy with me because I am insecure. But then I think - OMG - who wouldn't be in this situation?

It seems hopeless sometimes.

knucklehead's picture

Oh, my. Read Unfreakingreal's most recent blog. Wow.

I would answer much like you. Nope. Never getting back with him. Simple.

Please remember that there are no guarantees in this life. Even if he would never, ever go back to BM, that doesn't mean he'll never leave you. I'm presuming he's already made those promises to you in your marriage vows. Plain truth is, you can either choose to believe him or not.
Choose to believe him and enjoy the life you have with him...for however long it may last (maybe even forever...)
Or
Choose not to believe him. I'd bet that his frustration and your insecurity will pair to doom your marriage.

It's really up to you. If he really, really wants to be with BM, there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

milknosugar's picture

BM isn't a dog. She is prettier and skinnier than me (SS 14 has an eating disorder and 12 year old is on a health kick atm - he asked me to make healthier food and wanted salad last time I cooked). I'm not a dog and can scrub up OK but when I met her I was quite surprised how beautiful she is (DH is no male model but I love him). DH agrees she is more attractive than me. It doesn't help. I'm nearly 50 and I had breast cancer 3 years ago which kind of set me back (instant menopause and all that).

See - I hate that I am even writing this.

FeuilleMorte's picture

I'm glad you're writing this -- it's important to share this kind of stuff with a supportive audience.

You are right, though -- there is nothing unsexier than insecurity, and you're going to drive him away if you are not careful. Doesn't mean you can't feel insecure, we all do at times, but I think you need to work on not expressing it so openly. And the comment above was right on the mark -- you cannot stop him from leaving if he wants to, so you might as well just choose to trust him.

I know it's hard. Hang in there.

knucklehead's picture

:jawdrop: He said that?!?

What a tool.

You're a cancer survivor, girl!! Wear that like the badge of courage that it is!!

forestfairy's picture

Why on EARTH would your husband ever tell you that his ex wife is more attractive than you?? Seriously, what is wrong with him.

And yes, insecurity is unsexy, but who wouldn't be insecure with their DH saying shit like that to them? All she wants is a little reassurance, it would go a long way.

Milk, you seem like you have no self esteem, you even titled your post "I messed up..again". Honestly, you deserve much better than this! Why are you putting up with being treated like this? It makes me so sad for you!

my.kids.mom's picture

I have figured out over the years that people aren't always insecure...until someone makes them feel that way. I'm not a jealous person, but I've been with guys who have done/said things to make me feel that way. The poster above has some really good points.

Kate2007's picture

Sueu2's post is a little harsh but there are some good points in there. Namely, take care of yourself and don't let some man, who probably feels like a bit of a loser, bring you down with him.