You are here

i dont talk to single parents anymore

SugarSpice's picture

my brother has a son almost 30. the bm left the picture when the boy was an infant due to drugs and alcohol. brother has not remarried nor even seriusly dated since birth of son. the two are inseparable. brother totally supports son and son does not work.

skids made comments about how their father is their best friend. i thought that was a little much when i spoke to my brother. dad as BFF? ones father? what happened to close freinds of the same age?

brother looked at me with horror and said his son and he were best friends. son dropped out of college, quit work and plays video games all night and day, including parties overnight with friends. just video games and cigarettes. the boys health is horrible.

considering how borther took my comment, i dont speak to single parents anymore about dh and skids. too many codependents out there.

Dizzy's picture

Your brother gave your nephew adult spousal status. It is an unhealthy and emotionally incestuous type of relationship built off the parent's guilt and their need to have "someone" in their life. They think they're showing their kid they care, but in reality, they're using their child to fill a void that should be filled by another consenting adult. Parents like this steal their child's childhood by saddling them with adult issues and guilting them into emotionally supporting mommy or daddy. It is no wonder your nephew does what he does. He is your brother's equal, always has been, always will be, unless and until some therapy is done. Unfortunately, a failure to launch by 30 doesn't seem to have very bright prospects of ever launching anytime soon...or ever.

Kids have friends. They need parents. Parents have kids and they need friends who are not their children.

SugarSpice's picture

i know it is sad. i gave nephew a polo shirt in the brand he likes. he tried it on and was obviously delighted but not a word of thanks while i stood there. entitled too because daddy spoils him.

ChiefGrownup's picture

That's a really terrible story. Exactly what does your brother think his son is going to do when he passes on? Oh, yeah, continue playing video games and living off the inheritance his dad has carefully slaved over. Be careful, Sugar, you'll probably be named trustee of some kind because nephew even at 50 won't know how to pay bills or buy groceries or boil water. Sheesh.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

"Exactly what does your brother think his son is going to do when he passes on?"

Valid point! My brother and his wife have ruined their DD. She is almost 30 years old, lives at home, pays for NOTHING. She is "daddy's little princess". Mommy proclaims she (mom) is the queen. Blech. Their DD has such a ridiculous sense of entitlement, she expects everyone to be happy to drop anything to do her bidding. They've done her NO favors. She is completely incapable of living on her own, doesn't know the first thing about paying bills, doing laundry, cleaning, etc. My brother better plan to outlive his DD...

SugarSpice's picture

doubtful if brother will made anyone a trustee for his son. he thinks his son is perfect in every way and can handle things after he goes. what a fantasy. oh and the son also plays in a band a few times a months for peanuts. as if being in a band is a career.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Sponging brings up another piece of the princess puzzle. I took her with me on a vacation 6 years ago to the beach. I am very fair-skinned and reapplied sunscreen every time I came out of the water. She did not. Princess got sunburned and CALLED HER DADDY. He asked to speak with me and told me I had to put a cup of vinegar in a bucket of cold water, then I had to sponge her legs!

I filled the bucket, handed 24 y.o. princess the sponge and said "go for it".

SugarSpice's picture

just because a prince or princess uses a parent as a slave does not mean the rest of the world will bow down.