You are here

I apologized

JD's picture

I apologized last night to my girlfriend, Angie during dinner. It was very difficult for me to do that, but I want to say thanks for all the helpful responses from my "I need some advice" topic that I posted a few days ago. After eight months of being with my girlfriend and basically being a stepdad to her son Jason, I was pushing and pushing for Angie to have her ex (Jason's father who had been a "deadbeat dad" every day for these past eight months) sign over his parental rights to his son. Upon her deciding instead to give him another shot at fixing his strained relationship with his son, I was furious. But I now realize--again thanks to the helpful advice I got on here--I was a little over the top and should have stepped back a bit. I truly have a much better perspective on everything now. While I am not totally gung-ho about the whole thing, I am going to respect Angie's decision, and I must say I am at a certain level of peace now with this situation. As the days go on (and hopefully if Jason's father begins to come around and finally do the right thing), I'm sure my level of tenseness for him will let up even more. I'm going to try my best to be positive and hopeful that everything works out for the best.

PS: These forums really are the place to vent. I don't know what I would have done without them!

BorBor's picture

Funny I wasnt even going to go on and look at ST this morning cause I have a ton of things to do, but Im so glad I did.
Im sure Angie appreciates the apology and it looks like you are going in the right direction.
Like I said before, being a StepDad is just as important.
My kids are off snorkling with their StepDad this morning, my DH. Tomorrow they go to their Dads. Both men are important role models.

Best to you, Angie, Jason, and Tom too Smile

JD's picture

BorBor, I appreciate that, I really do. I must say it was difficult for me last night seeing Jason packing his things and going over to Tom's house for his first overnight stay ever but I did not display any sense of concern or worry outwardly, so I was proud of myself. Jason called us last night before he went to bed and it seemed like he was having a good time (him and his father went out to dinner). We are going to pick up Jason in a little while to get more details and to see how his mood is. Cross your fingers for us.

Orange County Ca's picture

That took an admirable bit of courage. I'm really glad you feel better about the situation now.

Sometimes we have to accept things the way they are not the way we think they should be.

There's an exception to everything I say.

JD's picture

Update everyone: I'm feeling a lot more at peace with things. Except tonite Angie just asked me if I would share what I write on these forums with her. Will this help or hurt things between us?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...Courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."