You are here

Play Dates

JD's picture

I am a stay-at-home stepdad to Angie's son, Jason, and this is a brand new role for me. I'm just learning about "playdates" and setting these things up with other moms and Mr. Moms. I feel that while Jason is not in school now (he starts kindergarten in September), it's very helpful for his physical and mental growth to be with other kids. I am a firm believer in daily interaction with other young boys and Jason's closest play pal was Angie before I came into the picture. I am doing my best on a daily basis to push social interaction for his pre-school development. I thought I'd feel a little out of place helping Jason make friends at the playground or encouraging for him to get to know other kids, but it feels great.

Today was a very productive day for Jason at the park. He is somewhat shy, but today he made two new friends and had a ball playing with them for a good three hours. I cannot stress how important I think this is that all parents and stepparents take their kids on these playdates and get them involved in outdoor activities with peers their own age. When I took on the role of Mr. Mom, I never wanted to just keep him in the house with me all day so he could just watch TV and play video games. This kind of stimulation is so much more beneficial.

Angel's picture

What a very loving stepfather!!!!! He is a lucky child.

JD's picture

Thank you Angel. I take Jason to the park and to the library a few times a week and have my cousin who is a teacher, come tutor him every Wednesday. I'm not looking for a pat on the back for these things, this all comes natural to me but I know no matter what I do, I can never just "replace" his dad. Like today, there was a little bit of an uncomfortable moment when this new boy said to Jason, "is that your dad?" (referring to me). It broke my heart. Jason just shrugged his shoulders and didn't know what to say. I just told Angie about this and she became pretty upset. She said she does not like these kinds of situations because it makes Jason uncomfortable. I told her that she had to expect some unsettled times ahead as Tom reestablishes himself into Jason's life while I simultaneously become closer to him each day (and eventually become Angie's husband and Jason's official stepdad). I said to Angie that it should be Tom picking up his son on days he doesn't work to do these things with him (he's an on-call dock worker) and then she says to me that he "just can't do that." She says to me that it was "her fault" for "breaking up their family." That statement kills me and Angie has said that more than once, although she still tells me she has no regrets ending her relationship with Tom.

Me and Angie have had this talk time and again, and she still to this day feels the need to make excuses for Tom. Their relationship ended, period. Yes their family unity changed, but what on earth does that have to do with Tom making sure that every last second of his free time is spent with Jason? If he's too intimidated by me being in the picture, that's quite frankly his problem. He's a grown adult and he should know how to behave, yet at times I feel like Angie accepts the fact that he can be so immature because he's still hurt over her breaking up with him. I really truly hope time fixes all this because I do intend on marrying Angie, and I do intend on having a child of our own with her (sooner than later). He has to respect me and understand that I'm not trying to break up him and his son. I just parent in a way that I'm very hands-on and involved every single day, and he was more of the guy that would not be around as much because he'd be working to save money to take everyone on a lavish vacation at the end of the year. That's how he showed his love, whether you agree or disagree with it. I'm not going to stop doing the things I do or stop helping to raise Jason in the best way I see fit. As long as I have the opportunity to enrich Jason's life in any way that I can in this new Mr. Mom role, I'm going to give it my all.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...Courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

JD's picture

PS: I was married for 2 years, and with my ex for a total of 10. We shared all the bills over that time. We had a huge engagement party that both our families paid for, and a huge wedding that we all chipped in for. I bought her a $3,500 wedding ring. When her and I split up, it was a civil divorce...she filed the paperwork which I signed...and 35 days later I was officially divorced. No court appearance required for any reason. There was nothing for me to contest or ask for because we did not have kids, or own a house, or have any savings. The relationship was over and we both knew that, and we both moved on with our lives. I didn't ask for the wedding ring back or for any of the furniture, wedding gifts or anything for that matter. I knew I had a claim to half of all that stuff and probably some monies, but why go through all that hassle and drama? I say, when it's time to move on, you move on...why drag things out and nitpick about "who paid for what" over the course of the relationship and "who is owed what" and all that nonsense. It's just not worth it. Let bygones be bygones. Angie had to bring Tom to court for child support that he hasn't been paying since they broke up eight months ago. Tom's lawyers actually had the audacity to say that Angie owes him $6,000 for various things (half of the furniture value, half of outstanding cable and cellphone bills, their engagement party cost, the ring, lots of other stuff here and there.) Angie obviously won the case on the child support front, but she now has to pay HIM each month from that money a certain amount to settle "her debt." Am I wrong here, or is this guy Tom completely out of line? He and Angie were not even married, they were engaged and he was never ready to marry her (part of the reason they split up). I can't even believe how some people can be so vindictive and so concerned with themselves and so consumed with such petty garbage. And I know this is all for "revenge" of Angie ending the relationship with Tom. Here's a guy who had to be brought to court because he wasn't paying child support and instead of finally just doing the right thing and contributing to his son's basic living expenses, he has the nerve to try and soak Angie for this stuff? Makes me sick to my stomach, but hey what can you do.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...Courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."