You are here

Husband Torn Between Son's Birthday and Birth of Our Daughter

christine007's picture

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and this is my first time posting. Let me give you some background about me and my situation Smile

My husband and I have been married about a year a half. He has a soon to be 6 year old son from a previous relationship. I have never met his son, nor his son's mother, nor any of my husband's family for that matter. His son lives in another country, but it's only about an hour and a half flight away from us. I am 8 months pregnant with our first child together. Our daughter is due June 5th, and my husband's son's birthday is June 11th.

Here is the problem:

My husband informed me last the other night that he is trying to arrange to see his son for his birthday. Of course I want to encourage him to see his boy, especially on his birthday, but I really can't stomach the thought of him leaving the country while I have a brand new baby (first time mom too) or him being distracted because his kid and the kid's mom are here. This is something I really want to experience with my husband completely and with his full attention. I don't want others involved (my mom will be here, but that's the only extra person I want around). I know this probably makes me sound like a petty, small person, but I just can't help but feel this way towards this situation Sad

I'm just so stressed and anxious about all of this. I know my husband feels a tremendous amount of pressure and guilt, but I don'tunderstand why this particular birthday is so important. He missed his son's birthday last year and I know he wants to make up for that, but this is when our daughter is being born and I feel like that needs to be the main focus right now. I'm living in a foreign country where I don't speak the language, I have no family here aside from my husband, and I need all of his support.

I feel extremely guilty for feeling the way I do, because I feel like I'm taking my husband away from his son. But I haven't met him, or his mother, and the thought if them both coming for a visit right around my due date is incredible overwhelming.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement/adevice they can give me? Or better yet, can anyone share any similar experiences?

Thank you in advance Smile

Gwynnafaye's picture

THIS

simifan's picture

{{{{HUGS}}}} How hurt you must be to be such a low priority to your husband. I hope he is only an idiotic male trying to appease his son's fears. You need to have a talk with him.

I would be livid if DH would suggest leaving when I was that close to term. I'd tell him if he left to stay gone. This is a once in a life time experience. That's all without counting he is your only support where you are.

Starryeyed's picture

I also think you are not being unreasonable in the slightest. Your dh is feeling guilty and trying to make ammends to see his son, fine I get that but this does not need to happen right at your due date. I am also pregnant with my first child and dh has one child he sees regularly and another who lives in another country (story sounds similar to yours). If my dh said he was going to leave around that time or have sd here during that time I would absolutely not have it, you will have enough to cope with during this time. One month later as another poster has suggested is not unreasonable in the slightest, I would discuss this with dh and lay down all of your expectations and what you have mentioned here. You need your dh with you during this time. Stay strong and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Starryeyed's picture

Just saw from the thread it looks like I am disagreeing with you, I actually think your comment was rather sensible!

Starryeyed's picture

Completely disagree. It's not like ss lives down the road and sm is saying he can't take the child out for the day for his birthday. The op is speaking about her dh leaving the country and potentially missing his dd birth and leaving op to experience this on her own. No this is not acceptable and you are not an evil sm for feeling this way, not in the slightest in my case ss does live in this country and his birthday is 10 days before baby is born. Do I have a problem with dh celebrating ss birthday that day, absolutely not in the slightest. Would I have a problem with dh going to another country for a week before my due date?? You can be fucking sure I would.

christine007's picture

His son is always welcome here, I've always made that clear. I am not comfortable with the ex staying with us, but his son of course is always welcome. I am fine with my husband going to visit his son, but I would like him with me the days right before and after the birth. Is that not fair?

The only concern I have with his son coming here while the baby is being born is that he will be distracted and won't be with me 100% of the time. Yes, my mom will be here but she isn't allowed to stay in the hospital with me, only my husband. This is a monumental time for us, I want to spend this time with my husband. I have never stepped in between them and I never would. The timing just sucks. But I need him to be with me during this time.

Last year he didn't see his son on his birthday because he didn't have the money to go visit him.

When I married him I thought the situation around his son would be different. I thought I would have met him by now and be 'allowed' to establish a relationship with his son, I've been told that won't happen.

WTF...REALLY's picture

I understand for you that this is your first child. However, this is your DH second child.

You should compromise. He has two children to love. A party for a 6 year old is not very long. While your Ss is there, he should spend time with him and be with you. This is the life of having a baby with a man that already has baby.

Wishing you a great birth. Take it easy and support your DH. He needs to be a father to both kids.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Dup

christine007's picture

No, I totally agree. I feel like this whole thing has been swept under the rug. It came up right when I found out my due date, my husband said he was really worried about this and was hoping the baby would come a few weeks early. But after that nothing else was mentioned.

Starryeyed's picture

Eugh sorry but of my dh said this to me I would be so angry, rather than deciding what to do he hoped your baby was born premmy as it would make attending a 6 year old's party easier :/ :jawdrop:

ChiefGrownup's picture

Yes, my jaw dropped, too. I had a gf who had a preemie. What a terrifying experience. You do not want that at all.

Heregoesnothing's picture

If it is possible for your SS and his mom to come to your country, have that happen, that way you are only alone half a day at most. Your kids are going to haven birthdays that are close and compromises are going to have to be made in the future. if they are coming to your country, that makes it easier if your birth doesn't happen exactly as planned, because then your husband doesn't have to change travel plans.

Indigo's picture

There's probably much more to the story than we get now. Not meeting any of DH's family in 18 months married and however long dating ? The country is close enough to visit on a Saturday and be back in time for work Sunday evening. No visitations with son? ... I don't know, there's more to this than merely a young-sounding, self-absorbed first-time mother.

That being said, even with IVF it's difficult to calculate an accurate due date, so OP's due date will likely fall within 7-10 days on either side. DH can probably fly out and back the same day, so unless he's planning a month-long excursion, it shouldn't be that big a deal. Or, OP/DH & baby can schedule a flight for a month or two later and ALL go see SS and family. SS would probably like to meet his new sibling and enjoy a longer visit with his father and SM.

Congrats on your baby, by the way.

noway70's picture

I'd be freaking out if I were about to have a baby in a foreign country without speaking the language.

moeilijk's picture

In my case, most medical staff could at least understand English. The tough part was communicating with non-medical staff, like the people who brought food around and helped tidy up.

ChiefGrownup's picture

If it was so important for your dh to be in Country X on his firstborn's b-day, he should sleep on the couch and keep it zipped from August through December. Every year.

When the next child is born he should count backwards and block off about another 4 months so her birthday will also be protected from any invading hypothetical younger sibling. It's a great system because by the time the 3rd child is born all kid birthdays will forever be safe because dad will never be having any nookie at any time of the year.

Hey. Both kids need a father. The younger one needs him to be there to be available to make possible actual life and death decisions, keep both her and her mother from, say, slipping on a sidewalk or stair in their ultimate vulnerability, and to, you know, introduce himself to her for the first time. The other one needs him to stand by a clown cake. Oh. The clown cake wins. Really???!!!!

ChiefGrownup's picture

No balloon cake for you, ma'am. Yours will be decorated with Schikdrenwhuch. And stuffed with them, too.

ChiefGrownup's picture

**Thunk** The sound of a crate of stabby toothpicks landing on your porch. Not just stabby, strong. The sword kind. Have at it.

ChiefGrownup's picture

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry you went through that, donttouch. That makes me sick. Very sorry. Take heed, op. You are not selfish or whatever. Childbirth is a big deal. Your dh should be there. Period. Dot.

According to the competing theory, Daddy Duggar must be home eating clown cake while Mrs. Duggar is bringing #37 or #38 into the world. Since they have a birthday almost every 2 weeks in that family, there's no time of year that's safe for Mrs. Babies R Us to go into labor without making one of the previous batch suffer the loss of not just dad but MOM at his party.

christine007's picture

Wow, you guys are harsh. And there's quite a lot of speculating going on here. There's really not that much more to the story. We don't live in third-world countries with crazy custody laws like are being hypothetically talked about.

The situation before I came along was the same, my husband would go visit his son about once a month or as often as he could. We met, he came to visit me (I was living back home in the U.S.) and after talking with his son and ex, he decided to stay with me. We got married and tried to make it work over there, we weren't able to and came back to where he was living before we met. Also, so he could be closer to his son again. We've been here for almost a year and have had to get our feet under us financially. He went back to visit his son last August for a week. I was supposed to go with him, but was in the process of having my immigration paperwork get approved and wasn't allowed to leave the country. Since then we have made plans to go back for a visit, but schedules, finances, etc. just haven't allowed for it. His ex doesn't have the money to come here, we would have to pay for it.

I am not exactly clear on why his son can't visit us alone, that is a topic I intend to broach with him when I feel I can. I think it's more of a concern about him traveling alone than anything else, although I remember taking a trip alone when I was that young. There was talk originally of him and his mother staying with us, but I don't really feel comfortable with that so I asked if we could get them a hotel room instead (iif she comes too).

He isn't particularly close to his family, they haven't shown much interest in myself or the baby. I don't know why and I don't know what to do about it.

I don't appreciate being called self-aself-absorbed. I can see why it may come off that way, but it's not like I'm trying to tear this father away from his son. I am terrified of having this baby, absolutely thrilled, but also scared to death. I'm completely focused on it and nothing else right now, and will be when she comes. Trying to figure out this whole birthday thing too is just adding that much more stress, not only to me of course. I can't imagine the pressure my husband is feeling right now, and of course I recognize that.

I came here because I'm completely new to this whole step mom thing. In fact, I was told by my husband and his ex that I'm not their son's step mother, so I'm not exactly sure what role I'll play in this child's life. I've never met this little boy, I don't think he really knows anything about me. He doesn't even know there is a baby on the way. Whenever I talk about my husband's son and his ex he gets very defensive and short towards me, so it's a conversation I just avoid.iavoid. I feel very excluded from that part of his life. I feel very excluded from his entire family. I hope I can come here for support with not just this, but other issues as well. I'm not looking for judgement.

BethAnne's picture

Do not allow your husband's ex into your home, I am guessing she is hostile towards you as you have never met the son. I can't imagine having to go through the stress of late stages of pregnancy, birth and then having a new born and being expected to entertain your husband's ex and their son in your own home. That is crazy. Do not let her stay the night, or even come in for a coffee - it is your sanctuary you don't want the added stress at that time. You have no need to have a relationship with her and she has no need to meet you.

I am 100% in support of you putting your foot down and insisting that your husband does not arrange any travel plans around the due date unless they are absolutely vital. He didn't prioritize his son's birthday last year to be able to work out how to pay for visiting his son it seems, so why should you now have to pay the price of him suddenly finding the money and the urge to be there for his birthday. The son will have a great time seeing his dad and being spoilt whenever it happens, even if it is a few weeks after or before his actual birthday.

I totally understand your fears of his time being split if his son is there the week after the birth, you husband will want to spend time with his son as he has hardly seen him and he will be going back to his country shortly after, where as you will be left holding the baby the whole week. I know your mum will be there, but she is no substitute for your husband.

Now, if this situation were a year in the future and you were quibbling over who's birthday your husband attends (and not a birth and a birthday) then yes, I would say that you are being a bit over protective and to work out a compromise, but for a potentially life threatening medical procedure plus the recovery time after with a new born baby you deserve to have your husband by your side. The 6 year old can wait a few weeks to be spoilt by dad.

Pepsilover83's picture

My stepson and my son's birthday are 4 days apart. (they are five years apart in age). When we first found out I was expecting we got my stepson involved so he won't feel left out. We asked him if he wanted to have birthday parties together and he gave us an excited YES! My suggestion would be to let him go spend the day with his son. If you had the baby by then, you should be just fine since he will only be an hour and a half away. He could always jump on a plane and come home if there is an emergency. If the baby is not born by that time then I would still let him go. Like I said it is just an hour and a half away. It is not about one baby being more important. Their dad should be able to love them both equally. I agree with an earlier post stating that maybe his son should come and met his sibling. That has to be done anyway. Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck Smile

christine007's picture

Yean, in a way it would make me feel better to have him go there, than to have them come here just because I'm not sure I'm up for the big meet and greet around the time of my daughter's birth. His son lives a 2 hour bus ride from the airport, so if my husband does go and needed to come back quickly for any reason it would take a little more time. But still, I agree with you guys.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Well, if you're really ok with dh being a minimum of 3 1/2 hours away during your delivery time frame no one is ever allowed to call you "selfish" or anything like ever ever ever.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Except it's hard to meet a newborn when the mother is not allowed in the room. Rember, she's not allowed to meet the 6 year old. She's going to have to rely on dh and bm to supervise their first grader around her newborn. Without her. Paints a coy picture, doesn't it? Everybody cooing over baby, such a family moment. Except the newborn's mother isn't there.

christine007's picture

I can be there, just not alone With him.

And no, I'm not okay with my husband being just a 'ssimple plane ride' away from me during this time. I just sort of feel like I have no say in this situation.

christine007's picture

Skyping isn't good enough, he wants to spend time with his son on his birthday. Of course he wants to be with me too, but I'm not sure why he thinks he can be in 2 places at once.

I have never been told I won't meet his son, just that I'm not his step mom and can't expect to be alone with the boy.

christine007's picture

Well his ex said it several months ago. No, I think it was more him. She said she couldn't stomach the thought of me being called his step mom, and he told me I wouldn't be his step mom. I actually brought it up last night and he said "well you aren't his step mom".

WTF...REALLY's picture

Wait, what? Your dh said your not his kid stepmom? Did I read that right? If so, oh boy....you are in a mess. There will be bigger issues coming then this moment you are in.

What does your mom think about all of this?

christine007's picture

No one from my husband's family is planning on coming for the birth of the baby, so I don't think that would be an option.

christine007's picture

They were never married. Weren't really even in a long term, meaningful relationship. They had been together a few months when she got pregnant. Tried to make it work but they broke up when his son was 6 months old. Both were very young, he was 19 she was 21 when the son was born.

I'm not exactly sure why I can't be a step mom, I think because he has it in his mind that that means I'm mom or something. I have no desire to be this child's mother.

I haven't been back to visit his family (hhis family lives in the same country as his ex) due to financial reasons, the same reasons we haven't visited his son. I'm still not sure why they can't come here though (his family). I think they just don't really care all too much. They are all wrapped up in themselves and their own lives.

We are in a huge fight now because of this and I'm so stressed out. And I haven't slept for days. Ugh.

christine007's picture

Okay, I apologize for being a little vague. Yes, the baby is due June 5th. I dont't have plans to have a c-section or inducement. He has told me that if the baby is still not here by the 11th, then he will just bring his son and ex here, but it sounds like he WILL see his son on the 11th regardless of the situation. He usually visits his son for a week, so I'm not sure how long he would plan on going.

Yes, my mom will be here, but she isn't allowed to be in the room with me, only my husband. So, if the baby comes a few days before the 11th, and he leaves, then I will alone. I know it's not the end of the world, many women do it.

I worry that if his son and ex come here, I will be expected to entertain and I can't promise that is something I'll be up for doing. I also worry that if they are here the same time I give birth, my husband will be watching the clock, trying to run out to meet them all the time.

I know that I will need to rest so there will be time for him to leave and spend time with them. But he's mentioned them coming for a week or so.

I mean, I thought maybe it would be more fair to everyone if they just wait until a few weeks after she's born. That way she gets his full attention when she comes, and his son gets his full attention when they visit. But he's adamant he spends his son's birthday with him.

ConcernedformyDD's picture

Is his ex even willing to come to where you and your husband live, for the sons birthday? If so, I wonder why she wouldn't do that last year, when his current wife wasnt getting ready to have a baby. How ackward for all involved I would think.

I don't blame you a bit for feeling like you do. This is your first child, and everything is still unknown. Your emotions and hormones are probably going a little whacky and this type of stress doesn't help. Unfortunately a lot of people marry a person with children, without really understanding the full implications of what that entails ahead of time. You certainly wouldn't be the first to do this with the idea that it's was going to be different than what it is. When you fall in love with someone it can seem like love will conquer all.

I wish you luck with all this. I hope he realizes how important it is to start your little family off in a way that won't cause you to resent him, and his son, so early on in your marriage. That doesn't mean he can't figure out a way to make his 6 year old feel important as well, and make up the birthday, but on this occasion, from what I have gleaned from the little I read, I think your needs and feelings need to come first. If you are secure in your position then it will be a lot easier for you to be supportive to him and his sons relationship in the future.

Good luck, and enjoy your precious little newborn when she comes, regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Is there any way you can push the issue with the hospital about your Mom being in the room? If your husband is not there, why should they care if your Mom is with you? If DH might not be there, it seems he should make sure your Mom can be with you.

If he travels to see his son, is it really worth it to go for just a few hours? You have mentioned more than once about finances being an issue. Is he really going to spend the money for a day long visit?

At the very least your DH needs to come up with a detailed plan so you can quit worrying. It seems to me he should put off celebrating his son's birthday until after you give birth. The kid can celebrate with Mom on his birthday and Dad a few weeks later - what is the big deal?

And there is no way in hell you should even be considering "entertaining" the BM - ever!

Rags's picture

There is no question. Birth of the new baby trumps the elder kid's birthday. This is a one time event and DH is risking missing it and leaving you alone with a new born. Dad needs to get his head straight.

Of course if SS-6 was local then his birthday would be celebrated. But .. he lives in a different country. If BM will agree to allow the Skid to travel to dad for birthday/birth of the new baby then great. If not, there is no question of priority IMHO.

Congratulations on your new baby.

christine007's picture

Thank you all so much for your responses!

We just had a chat about everything, he told me that the mother doesn't trust me alone with the kid and that's why he can't come here alone. Apparently I need to prove myself to her. And it breaks her heart to think of me as his step mom, I guess that's what she's told him.

As far as the visit goes, my husband says he will see his son for his birthday, but hasn't made any plans yet and knows not to make any. I guess things are up in the air until that time. Although I know how is ex is and she's going to be really pushy with dates, plans, etc.

All of this still makes me sick, but there's not really anything I can do about it, I guess.

moeilijk's picture

I think what you can do about it is to contact the hospital and make sure your mom can come into the room with you. Look into getting a doula or someone else who can translate for you who will also be allowed into the room. Unless you are in the process of a getting a C-section, this should be negotiable, especially as you don't speak the language. Check out a FB group for expats or new moms in your region for referrals.

Secondly, you can sit down with your husband and ask him how he would organize his life if you also left him and took your child together with you. How would he maintain a happy life with his next relationship while being in another country with his first ex and son on June 11 and in (yet another?) country with you and your son on June 5? Because he needs to understand that just because you are with him now doesn't mean he can take your love and commitment for granted.

Daddy's wife's picture

To be honest I was expecting different replies. It sounds ridiculous to me your dh is making these plans to travel while you are due to have your baby. Baby's can be born 2 weeks before till 2 weeks after the due date. Even if your dh is 1,5 hour flight away, who says he can buy a plane ticket last minute. Plus the 2 hours drive to the airport, and the 2 hours you have to be there before the flight. So if I was you I would not let him travel if your little girl isnt born yet.
And I would not let his ex stay in your house either. What the heck is that about.
And the bs excuse of the ex not trusting you to be alone with her son. He doesnt have to be alone with you. His dad is there to watch him.
Does this mean your dh always has to travel to be able to see his son, or his ex always has to stay in your house?
Your dh is making me very angry and I feel for you. Demand he is there for you when you are giving birth till at least a week after. If it is so important for him to spend time with his son on his actual birthday, maybe he should have stayed close to him. What if your baby will be born at the exact same day?
And something else. Where is your dh staying when he visits his son? At the ex's house?

dood's picture

Yeah, this is just sort of a train wreck situation... Your DH is an idiot.
You are going into a hospital to give birth to your MUTUAL child. There is ZERO question that he should be with you. Period.Dot.

twoviewpoints's picture

I scrolled hit and miss through the comments, so I could be repeating and/or missed parts of what you posted as clarifications to original entry.

First, congratulations of the upcoming new baby girl. I'm sure you're both very excited and very anxiety filled all at the same time. This little one will come when she gets good and ready. I'm afraid she's oblivious to all the other drama over birthdays. That's all adult stuff. She and the little six year old son need not worry about any of it, they just need the adults to do their adult thing and figure it all out.

Little boys who have never met their stepmom and have no idea Dad is even expecting a baby, shouldn't be expected to worry about a child/SM's birth...it doesn't exist in his little world and that's his father's fault. All the child knows is he has a birthday coming and he'd like to see his daddy. Just like baby girl. All she wants is to be born healthy surrounded by her mommy and daddy welcoming her into the world. If that doesn't happen, that's all on her daddy too. So you've got a small child and a soon to be born baby both counting on their father to figure it the heck out and pull his big boy panties on and step up for both kids AND his about to give birth wife.

Right now I would ot spend my time worrying over whether or not you are a stepmom, technically or by label. Factually, yeah you are. But this child has never met you, knows little or nothing about you and you have shared not one minute of his life with him. So with that in mind, no to him and the child's mother you're not his stepmom. The day is going to come though when that is going to have to change. If your marriage is to last and your little family thrive, your DH is going to have to bring this little boy around into your world. We're talking an hour and a half flight away from the two homes. The way it's bee going since you've meet and married this man one would think the distance was half way across the world. You realize, right that your DH could hop a plane in the morning ad be home by late evening? Unless the child's mother's home is in a war zone, extreme high conflict area, there is no excuse for you and this child to have not met. For the child not to be coming to your home for a week visit now and then or for DH and you not to travel to the child's country. You Dh could be flying over, escorting the child on the flight and then repeating for a return trip. There's no reason mother should have to come at all or that mother must be a part of any and all visitations. I don't know what country you're talking about or the laws in it, but surely whether Mom and Dad were ever married or not, Dad has some legal rights to visitations.

Why do you tip toe around your husband? Why are you hesitant to make this man open up true discussions with you, his wife. Anyway.... the birthday. Dad needs to work with the mother on this one as this year Dad has two events occurring at around the same time. It is important that Dad see the son. But Dad can work it so that it doesn't take Dad away during delivery time. And no, birthing a child and bringing home a new born is not the time to be introduced to BM and the little boy. BM should in no way be coming to your home and/or planning to stay in your home when and if she does ever come.

I suggest Dad speak to Mom about this year being a flexible birthday. Dad will come but it may not be on June 11th. If the child is used to not seeing his father on an exact set schedule, it should be no problem for the child to know Daddy is coming and Daddy is celebrating child's birthday event with child, it just may be a week or so delayed. It's an hour and a half flight. After the birth and a week or so has passed since the birth, Dad will purchase his ticket and be on his way. Your mother can spend DH's absence perhaps with you. DH doesn't have to go a whole week. A couple days or three. Then Dad works on planning with the BM on when the little boy can visit Dad in Dad's home and meet Dad's wife, little sister and spend a few days to a week discovering the second half of the little boy's family. Remember Dad can go escort the kid or BM can fly the kid over and hop the evening flight back to her home. Perhaps Dad can have the little boy come for a week or a bit less in say three months after this birthday visit. The father does need to begin seeing this little boy on a regular routine schedule. If what your family can afford is a week every three months or so, that's what it needs to be. The boy deserves a chance to have his Dad on a somewhat regular basis. Sometimes that visit may be I your home and sometimes perhaps you, Dad and new baby sister may travel to spend time his son's country. BM doesn't have to like it. What is important is that both children have their father and that neither child feel like the dirty little secret. If you all don't start communicating and working out solutions, you'll find yourself right back here next June with the same dilemma "should Dad go to his son's birthday or should he be home for his daughter's first birthday party. ell your DH to stop playing ostrich and figure this stuff out. Now.

This doesn't have to be as complicated and drama filled as it's currently being.

Daddy's wife's picture

I'd like to add, even dad's that do live close to their children aren't always with them on thier actual birthday. Thay have to wait for the nest visiting day. I think a lot of sm's wouldnt like their dh to celebrate their children's birthday together with the ex. Let alone when they might be giving birth or have a baby a few days old.
So no, I don't think you are petty at all.

christine007's picture

Oh thank you guys! This is all so nice to hear, as I posted in another forum and was called selfish and accused of trying to keep dad and son apart.

I've felt so guilty about this, and so guilty about the pressure I'm putting on my husband. And I've felt like I'm the biggest reason he hasn't been able to see his son.

Thank you all Smile

christine007's picture

Oh thank you guys! This is all so nice to hear, as I posted in another forum and was called selfish and accused of trying to keep dad and son apart.

I've felt so guilty about this, and so guilty about the pressure I'm putting on my husband. And I've felt like I'm the biggest reason he hasn't been able to see his son.

Thank you all Smile

Daddy's wife's picture

I think bm is the biggest reason for him not seeing his son, by not letting the son visiting him without her. Surely he must have some rights as a father.
Who on ST would let bm stay in their house? I wouldn't.

Edit: just realizing you are not saying bm is staying at your house. Sorry.

BethAnne's picture

Don't feel like you are keeping them apart. He is an adult. If he wanted to see his son in the last couple of years more regularly then he should have arranged his finances to make it work. Being a father is his role and if he can't be bothered to find a second job or forgo some luxuries to pay to see his son then that is his fault and maybe he should have stayed nearer his ex. Seeing his son this year for his birthday does not make up for his lack of visits previously. Your husband needs to stop needing to prove to his ex that he is a great dad and just start thinking about his two children on their own terms. He should book a trip to see his son around the beginning of July. That way you know he will be there for the birth and some time after, the ex will have some definite dates and the son can get excited that his dad will be there, with the bonus that he may have also finished school for the summer and can spend a few solid days with his dad.

If you were in touch with your husbands parents/siblings I would be inclined to get one of them to talk to him about it all and tell him what an idiot he is being. Perhaps your mum could have words with him? Does he really want your mum to be the one making life and death decisions about you and your daughter or would he rather be there to do it?

SugarSpice's picture

it never ceases to amaze me just how guilt can ruin a mans judgement. his older child can have a birthday later just as had been said here. you are your child are his current priority.

i am so sorry that you are experiencing this thoughtlessness when you need your husband the most.

ConcernedformyDD's picture

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hubby is feeling guilty..
Just wait until he sees and holds his new baby girl. He doesn't know it yet, but he will fall in love with this little one and probably won't want to leave so soon after she's born anyway. I remember when I was getting close to have my 2 child, I wondered if I could love the new baby the same way as the first. In my mind, I could never love anything as much as my 1st DD, and I was almost scared about what I would feel. Everyone told me not to worry, I had enough love for the second child as well. Of course they were right! Your husband may be having mixed emotions right now and not seeing his son very much may be messing with his head and he may be feeling guilty. Hopefully he can sort that out and all will turn out okay.

ClutterMusings's picture

Girl. Bless your heart. {{{hugs!}}} My DH put me through HELL with the birth of our daughter (I'm a first time bio mom too) and I think I am STILL shell-shocked. He shouldn't even be considering leaving his preggo wife regardless of his son's birthday. He can make it up to him just fine. BUT he will never be able to make it up to YOU if he misses the birth of your daughter and caring for you.

I'm just sorry that you are even having to think about this. Not cool.

ClutterMusings's picture

Girl. Bless your heart. {{{hugs!}}} My DH put me through HELL with the birth of our daughter (I'm a first time bio mom too) and I think I am STILL shell-shocked. He shouldn't even be considering leaving his preggo wife regardless of his son's birthday. He can make it up to him just fine. BUT he will never be able to make it up to YOU if he misses the birth of your daughter and caring for you.

I'm just sorry that you are even having to think about this. Not cool.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

...I don't know. I would feel that I have made a huge sacrifice to even marry the guy, knowing he has baggage and being willing to accept it, that I would hope my DH would try to make what's a "first" for me special so that I don't live with the resentment that this too was tarnished and taken away. I think a lot of people forget just how emotional and vulnerable people who are pregnant and about to embark on the biggest journey of their lives for the first time can feel.

Thankfully my DH agrees with me on this part, so I don't have to worry. His mom on the other hand, had different ideas (the whole debacle during BD's birth is in another blog.)

I can tell you though, that DH wasn't 100% focused on us the days after--even though he took time off, he was still tinkering with his projects and stuff, but he was very good about helping out.

I'm at an impasse on this one. And why in the world would his ex stay with you guys?

My sister was born a year and 10 days after me. I think my parents celebrated my birthday like 2 months after that when everything was settled down. After I turned 12, sometimes we missed our birthdays altogether and just got a call or something (my parents traveled out of country a lot.)

Birthdays were not a big deal, but then again, in Chinese culture, our birthdays are days we're supposed to be celebrating our mothers, so we thank our mothers on our birthday and sometimes take THEM out to eat. (I had an aunt who, when BD's birthday rolled around, crouched and told her when she's a little older, every day on her birthday she should hard boil me and egg and present it to me like a deranged Easter Bunny for all the pain and work I go through as a mother. It's what everyone in her village did on their birthdays.)

christine007's picture

I just wanted to give you guys an update on the situation: I ended up sending his ex a message. In a very polite manner, I told her my concerns and how I was feeling about everything. She told me she completely understood, and said that maybe we could plan on her and the little boy to come for a 2 or 3 day visit at the end of May and then all 3 of us (the baby, my husband and myself) can go visit them in July or August. And she knows that depending on how I feel I may not be up for a visit in May, but I'm sure it will be fine.

So I feel a lot better now that I've reached out to her and spoken to her about this. I've had some major walls up with her, but for the sake of my daughter I know I should try and maintain some sort of healthy, friendly relationship with her. And she did tell me she wants the same.

BethAnne's picture

I know that you want to try to be friendly and make things work. We have all been there (at the beginning). But please do not let this woman stay in your home for their visit. It will be the most awkward annoying thing ever, you will need to have your own private space to retreat to, she needs to stay elsewhere.

Shortly after I first moved in with my husband my SD had an operation and needed a few days recovery at home afterwards. SD stayed with us during the recovery and BM came to visit during the days. It was awkward as hell and BM was even being minimally polite at that time and hadn't started her attacks on me. I felt like such and outsider in my own home and couldn't really do anything or relax the whole time she was there. I can't imagine how awkward it would be if she stayed overnight too.

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

First babies usually come late. HEck even fourth babies come late. My baby was so late she was 10 lbs from all that extra cooking in the oven. He belongs with you and his new baby. He could miss the birth very easily

christine007's picture

Thank you guys, and yes, I totally agree that I shouldn't have to involve the BM at all. I told my husband about the conversation her and I had, and I said that it seems everyone is happy with the solution we came up with. He said it's not the idea situation for him, and I told him too bad, he's going to have to deal with it and deal with the fact that this year is going to be different. I don't know what he's thinking acting like this, I think it's mostly just the guilt he's feeling.

QueenBeau's picture

It's odd that she's being so kind and agreeable yet your DH made it seem like she doesn't want you anywhere near their son...

christine007's picture

Yeah, I agree that the BM thing is annoying. The reason she wants to come with her son for the visit is because neither parent feel that he is old enough to travel alone. I think she also wants to meet me, which I understand considering I will be watching her son. I'm okay and understanding with it this one time, but if this turns out to be a continuous thing I'm going to put my foot down.

As for her staying with us, that was never an option. My husband may have brought it up at one point (I honestly can't really remember) but I said absolutely not, especially with what's going on now. In the past he has stayed with her when he's gone to visit, because it saves him quite a bit of money. He sleeps on a cot in his son's room. But now that he's with me I told him I would rather him stay at a hotel if he's going to visit alone, he has had no problem with that.

Before he met me he used to see his son every month or so, but then moved overseas for about 6 months when we got together and got married. We mmoved back to where he was living before we met, and it took me some time to be able to find a job. Because of this, money has been really tight (hhence the reason he couldn't see his son last year for his birthday). We did have plans to go back to his home country so I could meet his son and family, but I was in the middle of getting my documents sorted and wasn't allowed to leave the country at that time. He went without me. So it's been since August since he's seen his son. I know he feels extremely guilty about that, and of course I feel guilty because I feel like I've played a part in all this as well. At least from the financial end of everything.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Wait a minute. He couldn't afford to visit his son because YOU didn't have a job? Unless he was paying your credit cards, student loans, etc., this makes no sense. He should be able to house you for a few months on his own dime without it affecting his finances much. I mean, if he is living so close to the edge that he can't make his own rent and cs without your help, that is still on him. Not your fault.

BethAnne's picture

His son is his debt. Think of the money that goes into raising his son (child support, transport costs, medical costs etc..) as a mortgage that gets paid off when his son gets to 18 (or whatever age it is in that country). It is a debt that your husband and BM had a part in taking out prior to meeting you and it is their obligation to meet it. You should not feel any guilt in terms of financial obligations towards his son in terms of travel or other expenses.