You are here

Hubby siding with BM hurt our relationship

KCKristi's picture

I'll try to keep it short, but some background is needed in this situation. I met my DH 3 1/2 years ago. We have been married for 2 years. He has two children Son, 25 and Daughter 22, from previous marriage. I have three boys, 12, 14, 16, from previous marriage.

We just had the umpteenth arguement about the same issue in the past 9 months. Shortly after we met, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer. As I was working, I was not able to go to every doctor's appointment with DH and his parents, but if I was not working I was definatley right there with them. She commented several times about how happy she is that her son finally found "a good one". She did not like his ex-wife, nor the two other women he lived with before he met me. She passed away 9 months ago (God Bless Her).

At the time of her passing, the family did not have the money to have a formal funeral. My DH and I helped my father-in-law attend appointments to make decisions, as well as financially as needed. Since there was to be no formal funeral - and all the family was in town anyway - I suggested we have a small memorial at our house, just as a piece of closure for my sibling-in-laws and nieces and nephews. My DH thought that would be a great idea. It was scheduled and DH told his son and daughter. SD called to see if she and BM could stay at our house while in town as they do not live close by. DH told her that SD's mom didn't need to come, because there wouldn't bee a funeral or anything. SD said "you know mom, she's coming anyway". So, DH asked and I refused to let them stay at our home, as I've understood the BM to be very aggressive and has tried to get back with my DH in the past. My DH said I was being childish and should trust him more, but he understood. He told SD no, but we would help pay for thier hotel room (which now thinking back, I think was the wrong thing to do as well).

While here, SD and SS called to see if it would be okay for BM and them to come to my house and chill. (I had to go to work the next morning as I'd already been off for two weeks staying at the hospital with DH) - I told DH, no way do I want this woman in my house. He again threw a fit and said I was being childish, he couldn't understand why I didn't want her in my house. I gave in and said whatever, if you really didn't care about what I thought - why would you ask.....let them come over. They stayed until midnight, drinking and talking.

The next day after work, I came home to make food (with the help from my sis-in-laws) and again have SD and BM coming over. All day I got stares of hatred from DH, like I had done something wrong for feeling hurt. (I felt like he was choosing his ex's comfort over mine.)

To this day we argue this: I feel like he didn't respect my feelings, he should have never even asked for my approval since he didn't really care how I felt, and he put his daughters wishes before mine. If they wanted to get together with their mom and grieve the loss of their grandma - they are more than welcome to do so - just somewhere other than my home.

He says it was his mother's passing and I should have not told him how I felt about having his ex in my home because that's trivial at a time like this. That I should have realized his kids wanted to get together with their mom and I should have lovingly opened my home up for them to do so.

One last piece of background: SD has used DH several times over the years. He paid for her class ring three times over because she kept spending the money on other things. She recently told her brother to "let dad pay for us, he has plenty of money" while we were all on vacation. Well, my hubby is medically retired military - I'm laid off - and I get about 1/2 the child support that I should get as I kept it out of the courts. We are NOT well off - we just are good at saving, which SD is not. She, at 22 still runs to daddy when she needs money for emergencies (like car repairs, gas money to drive up to see him, etc....) I think you get the picture - SD uses DH.

Orange County Ca's picture

Having a spendthrift second spouse allowed me to say that once household expenses were paid then our various incomes could be spent as we wished.

You charged something you paid for it. Kid need braces? Hand them the checkbook.

It worked for me and I hope it will for you also.

When he's in a mood to listen to you give him a downloaded article and at what age he should quit giving to kids. He's just keeping them dependent on him and it is not emotionally healthy for either one. It makes him feel needed. As for her - well I never saw a kid that would stop taking voluntarily. Like you said Dad has a lot of money because its being saved. Veto any spending on these kids unless it has no effect on you.

Its now time to ignore his pouting. Eventually he'll get over it. What's done is done and if you just stop argueing over it then it has to go away.

You absolutely positively had the power to keep her from the house. You've explained once I presume now let it go. I will guarantee you he wouldn't want your ex-husband in the house while he was at work.

I've heard it said but I don't know "Ex Sex is Best".

There's an exception to everything I say.

secondwife20's picture

And one of his exes (who dated said friend in the past) started to come over. Because DH had no way of getting to the funeral, he had his ex take him. This bothered the hell out of me because a) I was at work and b) it was his ex!

It has nothing to do with trust issues. I trust my DH with all of my heart... it's just not right. In my opinion, of course. DH couldn't understand why I was upset about the whole thing.

"This is a hard time for me right now. I don't need you to be acting like a little brat because my ex wants to come over and mourn with me. We both lost someone really special in our lives. Why can't you just get over it?"

I didn't say anything to him that night. Instead, I went to hang out with one of my exes (and childhood best friend) because I found out that he was going to Iraq (sadly, he passed away there a few months afterwards). I told this to DH of course, and he flipped out. I told him, "Gee, it's different when the tables are turned, huh? He's going to Iraq, DH! It's a difficult time for the both of us, why can't you just get over it?"

He was furious, but I didn't care.

You just need to make him understand that if your ex husband was over at your house while DH was at work, he wouldn't like it very much either!

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

KCKristi's picture

Thank you for your comments. I just needed to know I wasn't being a "B" for not accepting my DH's ex. I'm usually a very accepting and forgiving person - but that is one issue I just can't accept.

As for my SD, I love her dearly - and DH lectures her everytime she calls for money, but ends up giving it to her still. I don't have a problem with him giving her the money, as I would probably bend over backwards for all my kids as well - I just don't appreciate the attitude she has about it - like it's owed to her.

Again, Thank you - and God Bless you and yours.