You are here

HELP!!! Is lots of cuddling normal for boys age 12 and 14?!?!

Gina123's picture

Hello all,
I am a step parent to two boys.
They constantly cuddle their dad and plus the dad strokes their hair. They cuddle spoon style.
Am I the only one that finds this not normal?!?!
We have been together for almost 2 years and he sees nothing wrong with it....

Peony329's picture

That does strike me as pretty darn odd.

My SS is 11 and he's very hesitant about touchy-feeliness. All we can get from him is a side hug, if even that.
It seems like your SSs grew up with lots of physical affection, and that's why they find nothing wrong with this.

justanothergurlNJ's picture

ewww no! My now 18yo son has really cuddled with me since about 12-13. That's odd. SO's boys are 8 and 11 and they don't cuddle with SO. The little one sometimes if he's spent after a long day out.

Tuff Noogies's picture

oss used to sleep w/ g-ma until the age of 14 (that i know of, it may have gone on longer than i'm aware of...) MIL has encouraged a lot of "different" behaviors when it comes to the skids.

some families are just more physically affectionate. but it is definitely NOT *my* kind of normal.

z3girl's picture

I don't know about spooning, but some boys can be affectionate at 13-14 years old. My two nephews (brothers) are very different. The older one is almost 15 and will barely give hugs or kisses on the cheek, but he has been less affectionate since a very young age. The younger one, 13, is still very affectionate. He has no problems giving his mother hugs and kisses on cheeks in public. I'm sure he's super affectionate with his dad (my brother), although I doubt he would spoon with either of his parents. I think he's more affectionate than his 16 year old sister, so I think it's personality.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Hell no! Just hell no!

I am a very affectionate mother to my two children and to my hubby. My son is 16 and my daughter is 22. I hug him every day. But have him run his fingers threw my hair....shivers. Gross. And just the thought of spooning my son makes me want to throw up. These kids are way too old for that type of affection. This is going to confuse them with their sexuality. At that age they can't help but get a hard on and it's their dad giving it to them. :sick:

hollyissad's picture

Spooning, NO. Yikes. But, as a pregnant lady, if I have a son, I do hope he will still give mom a hug every day when he's 12. Wishful thinking, perhaps. But I hope!

still learning's picture

My boys are similar in age and I can't imagine seeing them spooning with their father. Very weird behavior, in Rome maybe it's what male family members do but it's not the norm in Western culture. Often there are blurred boundaries between parent and child after divorce but this one takes the cake.

neskajy's picture

Not sure about spooning. No comment on that one.
But when i worked at a camp i had an 11 year old who was VERY affectionate with me. His absolute favorite thing was to constantly hug me. If i let him, he would hang on me all day. He was a very sweet, well-behaved kid. He did not have a father and lived with his mother and a grandma a tiny studio apartment. I suspect he was bullied and probably abused (not necessarily by mother and grandma, but just in general). It was a camp for kids from very rough areas. I had to explain to him that too much cuddling will be viewed as weird by others. He was disappointed as he just REALLY liked it and needed that attention and affection, but he did do it a lot less.
I actually felt bad for him because there was clearly something in life that he was lacking and was trying to fill by being so affectionate.

People do have different ideas about affection, but I think what you are describing is definitely not within the norms of Western culture. Doesn't mean it is ultimately WRONG, but something to talk about with your husband for sure.

WTF...REALLY's picture

I just had to come back again and restate.......Kid is getting a hard on and I bet dad is too. Call someone.

Just threw up in my mouth re thinking about this. :sick:

DPW's picture

Why do I keep coming back to this thread to read the updates? There must be something wrong with me. lol

TinyDancer's picture

Well, this is certainly a new one. Wonder if the OP will ever come back after reading some of the responses, or if she packed and ran.