You are here

Have I done something terrible?

Craving Normality's picture

The opportunity came up at work for someone to go see a couple of our customers in two different asian countries, I took it. I also used this opportunity, my flights, accomodation and meals paid for to include SO and our 2 residential children along because I am never going to get this opportunity for us to go away again so cheap for the four of us. It's 2 weeks away. Only got confirmed 2 weeks ago.

SO has 3 kids that don't live with us. He hasn't told them yet and I think he's avoiding it to avoid hurting anyone. At the time I booked the extra tickets I thought, heck, it's a work trip, who can get upset. Now, as it's edging closer I am feeling more like a meanie. What does every one else think, should I be feeling guilty? Or is this just absurd? It's work for goodness sake! I certainly do not have the money to include 3 extra children. My SO and 2 kids fit into the accomodation that was booked for me. SO other has no spare cash because he is paying child support to 2 other households - yes two BM's plus me makes 3.

2 of his kids have been overseas already this year - I am just trying to justify myself now because I am starting to feel bad.

What do you other SM's think - I am the evil stepmother??? Or am I stupid to even worry?

PS Just thought I would mention, this is not the norm, we go away every year as a whole group, and sometimes he goes away with just his 3 older ones from previous relationships.

catgirl's picture

I don't think there's anything wrong with you going away as a family of four, with just the kids that live with you. Especially when it is just a work trip, and you do go away as a whole group every year as well. Personally I don't agree with the idea that all kids need to be included in everything that gets done. Take this moment to enjoy spending some time abroad with just the four of you, and plan something fun to do with the whole group before you go or after you come back.

Thanks catgirl. There's not a lot of time to get something fun done before we go though, we'll get them loads of gifts while we're away, so hopefully that might soften them up - lol!

Disneyfan's picture

You're not evil. I wouldn't thik twice about taking my kids on that trip. SKs would not go. To be honest, I wouldn't invite SO either.

Thanks disneyfan, I am laughing, but if I did not take significant other, who would look after my kids while I am in meetings - just sayin, cause the thought really did cross my mind.

I know. 2 baby momas is CRAZY stuff. Though the first one got treated so horribly by the second one she stays totally away from us. No trouble at all. The second one, now she's a piece of work. Rang my SO today to tell him she'd bought a puppy. I know that does not sound like big stuff, but is it really a reason for the ex to call? Do not know what reaction she was expecting but obviously, over here, we are all SO EXCITED!
The convo from my end sounded something like this " oh guess what? we got a puppy" my SO - "put ss12 on the phone. Just put him on the phone!" Then his 2 kids got on the phone and SO has to be interested. EEwwww! He did not even mention it to me because he knows how I feel about ex no 2. I just heard tidbits whilst he was standing outside the kitchen. I know it is not his fault. It just shits me that she would still ring about trivial shit. And that is probs why she rings - cause it shits me.

oldone's picture

I had work trips to Asia and Europe fairly often at one job. One time I took my parents and sistr - but company policy was that I had to have approval from a VP or above to do that.

There was no issue - but anymore than that would not have been approved. So use that policy if you need to. Smile

Very useful. Had not even thought of "company policy" - cheers! I am totally going with company policy!

christinen's picture

It doesn't sound evil to me at all. Who wants to go overseas with their skids? Let's be real here lol I would flat out tell my DH no I'm not bringing skid. But in your case yes, go with company policy!

oldone i think "company policy" is quite possibly my mantra from here on in lol