You are here

Happy Step's Day to all you hard working folks!

instantfamily's picture

Whether you're a DH, DW or SO (GF, BF, whatever) to someone with kids, this is your day. My DH and I decided it's Happy Wive's Day in our home. I got up this morning at 5:45 and went to my second job to take care of our family and get home around 12:00. No one's here. Ahhhhhh. Relaxation. Then I hear the car roll up. Crap. So, I'm laying on the couch and SS, then SD walk in. "Hi Instant". "Hi". and SD goes into her room to clean which DH had told her to do and SS asks DH if he can go outside and play.
So DH sits down with me and asks how I am and I tell him "fine". He asks again and I asked him,
"did skids call BM this morning?"
DH "yes"
ME "did they ASK to?"
DH "yep" (with a grimace)
ME "did they call your mom, too"
DH "yeah".
DH "what's wrong? Neither of them said it to you, did they?"
ME "nope. My friend sent me a text to wish me happy mother's day. At least one person appreciates what I do".

DH outside with SS was whispering to him later and SS comes in and says "Happy Mother's Day Instant"
ME "Did your dad just tell you to say that?"
SS "yeah", slinks off to take out the recycling and play outside.

DH was pouting in the kitchen and I asked him if we could just make it "Wive's day" for our family cause they just don't care. He eventually picked up his mood and said, yes and thank you for sticking around.

I was told to cover my eyes and when I was allowed to open them I found three beautiful bouquets of flowers in the kitchen, living room and my bedside table. I told him thank you for the beautiful flowers and not pretending they're from the skids". I said "What, they don't make a Hallmark card for "Thank you for taking care of my children with me even though they treat you like crap" card? He laughed. We joked for a while about cards for every occasion and I went into the other room and when I came back there was a card on my computer that was a husband to wife card- not a fakey kid's card, but a genuine "thank you" for being my wife and wading through this mess with me card.

Then I went into the bathroom and discovered poop on our toilet paper roll because SD apparently wipes with her hands as well as with tp and the nightmare continues. Smelled her hands and yep, that's poop. Did I mention she bites her nails?

Happy Happy everyone! *sigh*

sammmx's picture

It really warmed my heart that your husband is so supportive of you. Smile Atleast someone cares, eh? The only one to wish me happy Mom's day was my own mom ... Hah. I'm glad this day only comes once a year. Blum 3

instantfamily's picture

Me, too! I hope for and dread it all at the same time. My DH is fan-freakin-tastic most of the time and I work my butt of for him and the skids so we can have a better life. My mom was my second biggest supporter this year. She's pretty awesome. She and my dad took us all out to dinner tonight. Love having a supportive DH as well as my folks, still having a tough time with the skids. They are just a mess- as I think we all have to deal with on this site. That or a crazy BM or crazy in-laws, etc. Guess today wasn't so bad!

janeyc's picture

That is lovely, its so good to be appreciated, it makes the crap easier to bear, oh my God I think sd needs a lesson on hygiene I told my sd6 that if she did'nt wash her hands after a poo then she could get sick, that helped.

instantfamily's picture

I know, right? She has some trauma from BM when DH was in the hospital for about 8 months when she was only 18 months old and then DH was still not really "there" because he was in a wheel chair and loaded up on pain killers for another few months after a horrible car accident. So it's not an issue of telling her it'll make her sick- we have told her all of the horrible things that could happen and she still has bathroom issues. I think that we've spent more time with psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, teachers this year than we've spent home sometimes! *sigh* someone will figure out how to get through to her.