You are here

God DH is really on my nerves this week!!

christinen's picture

Do you feel like you go in cycles with this step-life?? I swear we will be fine for a few weeks and then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose and there is some kind of incident every single day for, idk, a week or so.

Another question- does your DH ever correct you for correcting your skid? My DH does this ALL the time, and it's infuriating!! Example: Today we were all in the car & SD was playing on her tablet - some game that makes animal noises - well after about 5 minutes of loud duck quacking noises, I asked SD to turn the volume down, which she did. Then after about another 5 minutes, I said ok I've had enough of the quacking. DH had to make a stupid comment & then say he didn't think it was that big of a deal (the quacking). I said yeah it wouldn't have been a big deal if you didn't have to make a stupid comment!

I got on him about it big-time when we got home.. I told him not to ever disrespect me like that in front of SD because it's teaching her she doesn't have to listen to or respect me (mind you, SD DOES listen to me so DH's comments are completely useless). I told him he's showing SD a horrible example of how a husband should treat his wife. He said he was sorry and it won't happen again. Fair enough if that was the first time it happened, but it happens ALL THE TIME and every time, I get pissed and DH says he's sorry, he knows it was wrong, he doesn't know why he does it, blah blah blah.

God what a horrible week I am having! Here's to hoping next week is better.

onthefence2's picture

Ugggghhhhhh, how frustrating!!! Try coming up with a code word that you can use when he starts to do that. Better yet, if you have to use the code word require him to apologize to you right in front of SD. It will break him of the habit real quick!

christinen's picture

That's a good idea! It's very frustrating.. SD always does what I ask her to do so there is really no point for DH to get involved.. I said to him today it's not like I asked her to jump off a freakin bridge, I just asked her to stop with the duck quacking! Good god!

Funny how there's such a double standard with stepparents.. If a "real" parent tells their kid to knock it off or be quiet, no one bats an eye but god forbid a stepmother say it! I told DH I bet you BM tells SD to be quiet every day, but when I do it there's an issue.. Why?

furkidsforme's picture

Yup. Same old double standard here. I've been around since the youngest was 4, so basically I've had more time raising him that absentee BM who only just recently started taking him on weekends. He's 16 now. :jawdrop:

If I say anything remotely negative, regardless of how justified or realistic it's YOU HATE MY KIDDDDDDS!!!". But he and BM can bitch about this kid or that kid all they want. :?

christinen's picture

That's how it is here except SD isn't that old yet. She's almost 6 but I've been in her life since she was 1 and DH and I have her full time. I am more of a mother figure to her than BM is (obviously she still loves her mom because she isn't old enough yet to realize she's a complete piece of trash- but I am the one here with her every day).

It's not like the stuff I say is being mean or anything; it's just normal things you would say to a child. Yes, sometimes they make annoying noises and you tell them to be quiet- what is the freakin issue?? I told DH to never speak to me like that again. I am an adult and he does not need to correct me.

onthefence2's picture

Men/Daaaaaaaaddddddddddies put up with WAY more from their princesses than ANY woman will, including the BM. So because the quacking didn't bother him (and it wouldn't, even if it went on for 24 hours because everything the princess does is perfect), you MUST just be picking on his kid. OMG men are retarded LOL

christinen's picture

You hit the nail on the head! No one puts up with SD's bs the way DH does, not even her own mother! But anyone who says anything to her or about her is picking on her and must hate his kid.

Rags's picture

My DW used to occassionally take issue with how I disciplined or interfaced with my SS-21. Including annoying game noises and repeated irritating odd noices that would occassionally go on regularly over several days. We had periodic friction similar to what you describe. I finally gave her clarity that if she did not like how I disciplined or interfaced with SS then she could step up and get it done before I had to. That was her choice. Deal with it or bite her tongue until the two of us could discuss it in privacy. The same applied to me. The only exception was when something he was doing irritated one of us and not the other. Then the one who was irritated would deal with it and if the other took exception the tongue biting commenced until we could discuss it without SS within within site or hearing.

She did finally gain clarity and things settled out. It took about 12 years to get to that point but we did finally get there.

For referrence DW and I met when SS was 15mos old and married a week before he turned 2yo. For the overhwhelming majority of the time DW and I were in sync on parenting and discipline but we did have a period in the Tweens and early Teens when it came to a head.

christinen's picture

I just don't know why it always has to turn into an argument with DH literally EVERY TIME I say something to SD.

I have disangaged quite a bit, but I can't fully disangage because we have SD full time. However, I don't normally get involved unless it's something that is directly impacting me. Such as annoying and obnoxious noises in the car. It's too small of a space. I can't deal. I don't see any reason DH had to interject with the stupid comment.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

I remember when I was still in stephell how SO , SD7 and I were driving towards town and that stupid kid would recite a senseless "poem" from school for hours, going on and on with her artificial high pitch actor voice . I have three kids who can be noisy on the car but that was the worst experience by far!!!! And SO would cheer for her everytine she started another round of that freaking "Poem". Insane.

christinen's picture

Sounds exactly like my DH. Who cares how annoying the skid is as long as they are happy, right? Puke!

christinen's picture

"And if my DH ever corrected me for correcting SS, I would make him look like 9 kinds of an idiot and shit parent right in front of his own son, so I hope for his sake he NEVER, ever does."

Hehe. Oh yeah I pretty much tore him a new one right in front of SD.

christinen's picture

Yes she is allowed to use the tablet in the car & that is what I said to her.. After about 5 minutes of nonstop quacking, I just asked her to turn the volume down. Then after about another 5 minutes, I said ok I've had enough of the quacking. That was all. She had no problem turning the volume down. DH is the one who created the problem here, in my opinion.

christinen's picture

I don't care if she was enjoying it lol.. we were in my car and I'm the adult.. I don't see the issue here. But thanks for the input!

christinen's picture

That's a great rule! It's just annoying, plain and simple. We were on a long ride (DH and I went to pick SD up from BM who lives 1.5 hour away) and I didn't feel like hearing duck quacking the whole way home. God forbid.

Tuff Noogies's picture

get her a cheap set of earbuds- keep them in your purse, and when she gets in the car w/ the tablet, hand them to her! it really does come in handy Wink

christinen's picture

I will do that! The tablet was a Christmas gift so we haven't gotten earbuds yet but I definitely will!