You are here

Getting out of the holidays

alwaysme's picture

I dont want to hurt my husbands feelings but every year we have 2 weeks off over xmas as we both work full time and he has the kids the full 2 weeks of our holiday. So for the past 3 years i have not really had a holiday for me it is pure hell as i spend those 2 weeks of my relaxation time cooking, cleaning, driving washing etc etc. Hubby and i spend a fortune on just keeping them entertained and taking them places only to listen to them complain constantly just for the sake of it, they complain when i ask them to pick up their dishes or clothes off the floor and i get so upset and frustrated because i feel like i am going in circles cleaning up. And i give up asking them to do it cos it is just easier to do it myself.
Anyway we have them EOW already but as this is his allocated holiday it is on the court agreement so we also have them every New Years Eve and i think that maybe it is our turn to go out for a change BM has a babysitter every year and still gets her CS those 2 weeks, it frustrates me constantly.
This year he wants us all to go away for a week but i could think of nothing worse, for me it is not a break and i dont know how to let him down gently and tell him to just take his kids with him and PLEASE leave me at home to relax... as it will be at a camping facility therefore leaving me to do all the washing and cooking plus we have a baby that is 8 months old and everyone who has a baby knows how hard it would be to comfortably camp with one.

How do i tell him i dont want to go without him getting defensive or angry at me because if i tell him the truth he will be pissed off at me cos his kids can do no wrong and i am just strict (apparently)

Most Evil's picture

This is a great idea! It would be so difficult to care for a baby out in the woods, and wouldn't it be freezing cold?! Hope it works out Smile

Storm76's picture

I'm with you here - when we get so little holiday from work I resent being expected to spend it all with SS. Personally I think camping with an 8 month old is just a disaster waiting to happen & as I'm assuming the baby is both of yours I think it's reasonable to sit down and point out that 'family' activities need to be re-looked at in the light of the new addition.

I would assume as it's your baby's first Christmas there's loads of family who would want to be spending time with you, so perhaps get your parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins etc to pop in requests to come see you all - then he can't blame you for putting a spanner in the works!