You are here

The drive....

BradyHell's picture

Not my DW's fault or issue....

But about to leave on my 5 1/2 hour round trip to take my BK's home from their weekend with us. My DW and her BK's get to stay and relax, get ready for their week...

This was my choice. My company relocated me here but my EW refuses to meet even part way to take any of the load off. To add insult to injury I'm sick as a dog.

My DW offered to come with her kids and drive. As nice an offer as that was, the idea of 5 1/2 hours round trip with 4 kids in the car while sick is enough to make me want to put a bullet in my head.

Life as a blended family. I remember when Sundays used to be restful. Now I dread them with ever fiber of my being

QueenBeau's picture

"Life as a blended family. I remember when Sundays used to be restful. Now I dread them with ever fiber of my being"

I feel ya on this. My DH is taking SD7 back to her mom as we speak. Sundays should be the day for us to relax & unwind together. However now every other sunday is a hassle. & I'm sure I'll hate it even more after the baby gets here.

But what do ya do? Nothing to do but make the best of it.

Orange County Ca's picture

Isn't there some form of public transportation or are they too young? Air. Intercity bus like Greyhound. Amtrak. All of them keep a close eye on minors.

Sorry but I consistently advise people that if they move they provide visitation transportation and that's both custodial and non-custodial. I.e. if Mom moved would you like to chip in? Did you get a raise? Offer to share it with Mom? No? Well what's her incentive?

Offer to pay her expenses. IRS says it costs some fifty cents a mile to operate a car some of which is fixed like insurance. But wear and tear, gasoline, oil changes will go up with mileage so offer her thirty cents a mile or thirty five. Hell you're paying it now - give it to her. Toss in a meal for all of them at McDonalds.

I'd be tempted to rent a car for the weekend - they have weekend rates with unlimited mileage and get a car with real high gasoline mileage. Check the small independent rental agencies also you might get one for twenty bucks plus gas.

I'd seriously consider reducing the weekends to one a month. Increase the holiday visits such as New Years, Spring Break and of course Summer and take off from work those days. They're not there to visit your wife.

Anon2009's picture

I'm sorry you don't feel well. I will say this, though. If you're the parent who moved you're responsible for all of the transportation. It doesn't matter why you moved, just like it wouldn't matter why your ex moved. If she had been the one who moved, she'd legally be responsible for all of the transportation. Orange had some good advice. Look into amtrak, Greyhound bus lines, etc.

Disneyfan's picture

Smelly bus???

Buses are not like they use to be 30 years ago. Clean, WiFi, no smoking, drinking....

There's nothing wrong with having the kids take the bus, Amtrak or plane a few times a year. 5 1/2 car trips EOWE has to be hell for everyone involved.

derb84123's picture

I hear you on the drive. I did the math. 32 days of my life will be wasted in a car to exchange sks (provided we continue to drive them until they are 18).... BM moved away, DH has residential custody- judge still makes them meet in the middle. I go along at the advice of our attorney. So every other weekend it is 4 hours in a car. Ridiculous. What is worse is it is 8 hours total for the kids. That is no way to live IMO