You are here

DH roadtrip

still learning's picture

DH's BIL passed away, he's going to the funeral and DH decided that it would be cheaper to drive approx 12 hours away than fly. DH tells ss30 about this and they decide they are going to road trip together. ss30 is so generous in offering his car for the drive. DH tells me how he's going to save loads of much money, how he and ss30 are going to split the costs of gas and food evenly for the entire 24 hr round trip. I asked DH if he discussed cost splitting with ss30. DH says, "well I just ASSume that that's how we're going to do it." Oh funny delusional DH. Why in the world would ss30 cough up a cent for a trip he thinks will be funded by daddy?!

This is the "kid" who keeps trying to move back in and live on daddy's dime, who had all his bills paid by daddy until just a few months ago, who still exists by couch surfing on relatives sofas. Now he's actually going to pull his own weight? Ha!

DH is also trying to convince me that I need to go on this trip with them. That I need to get someone to stay with the teens so I can go on a 24 hour road trip with he and ss30. Sorry DH but I'd rather spend the entire weekend getting root canals. I'll send condolences and flowers.

Can't wait to see how much $$$ DH blows, I means saves on this road trip.

furkidsforme's picture

With some of the sales on plane tickets, he will likely spend MORE by driving. What a dolt.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Too funny. Kid is a long time moocher on dad and suddenly dad thinks he's going to poof into a pull my own weight person? The googly eyes on these dads....

still learning's picture

Yup, and I can't even have a doubting tone in my voice or I'm the bad guy. How dare I ever suggest that ss30 won't pull his own weight :jawdrop:

still learning's picture

Not too long ago ss was over here "bonding" with DH down in his workroom and the next thing I know ss is shouting at DH and stomping up the stairs. Apparently DH had corrected ss on some mechanical fact and and ss flew off the handle. 24 hours of bonding, fun times. As far as I know ss does have a job right now but ss has had jobs on and off in the past and never insisted on paying a portion of his bills then either.

still learning's picture

"All DH's need to find out for themselves and this is a perfect chance for him to observe SS without distraction"

So true. Dh said he hasn't done a road trip with ss30 since he was 11. Now he's in for 24 hours worth! No way in Hell do I want to be stuck in the car with ss30 for any amt of time. In the past I've given him short rides and that was torture. I keep biting my tongue, I've only brought up cost splitting

sandye21's picture

Tell DH taht you expect SS to pay for his own costs. Otherwise, whatever comes out of your pocket will have to be repaid back to you or you will be spending the same amount on yourself. There is absolutely NO reason you should be paying anything for SS on this trip.

DH used to like to pay for everything for SD. He'd puff out his chest and announcce HE would pay the bill, not WE, even though I was paying half of it. SD never dipped in her pocket for anything. When I separated the finances and informed him that from now on, all the 'treating' would be coming out of his own pocket, he was not as 'generous'.

still learning's picture

DH thinks that ss will pay all his own costs. I guess we'll see. He's off running errands now to get ready for the trip. This is one of those battles that aren't that important, I really don't want to send him off after a fight. If I bring it up again with any hint of doubt that ss will not goes halfsies with DH then he'll get cranky. We'll talk about it when he gets back and see how much was siphoned out of the account.

I'm glad to hear your DH has pulled back some now that YOUR $$$ is not involved. Smart woman!

still learning's picture

I hope he learns. I just know I'm going to have to stitch my tongue back together from biting it so much. The break will be nice!

still learning's picture

DH just called me from the road to give me an update of where he and ss30 are at, we talk for a bit then I say, "Goodnight, I love you." He says, (very loudly)"Good Night!!!" then mumbled and barely audible, "i love you." I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Can't openly say I love you to his own wife in the company of his son. Wow.