You are here

Disengaging from DH sister and daughter helps so much with his support!

Disillusioned's picture

My DH 'tries' to be supportive of me when it comes to his sister and daughter, but suffers from too much guilt about the divorce, and lives in fear of saying or doing anything that would tick especially his daughter off, in case she walks out of his life and/or withholds him seeing his grandchildren

I've learned to just disengage from them, more and more each day, but gotta say DH was really on it last weekend Smile

We both know that OSD is trying to PAS OSGS against me as much as she can. She is subtle (but not subtle enough LOL) and will do things like pump up DH to OSGS right before a visit with us. It's not that she will come out and say anything horrible about me, but, she will do the old "SGS, aren't you excited about seeing Grandpa DH?" "SGS, Grandpa DH bought you a new toy and is bringing it today" "SGS, make sure you tell Grandpa DH blah blah blah when he arrives" "SGS, make sure you run and give Grandpa a big happy hello and tell him how happy you are to see him" etc.. etc...

So when we arrive SGS does exactly what OSD has instructed him to do, runs to DH, does all of the above and it's as if I'm not there.

Now, DH & I both know she does this and silly her actually thinks that I care about that. Normally I just walk on by and don't even let on I noticed, let alone care. (SGS always ends up coming to me later when this part is done, and is by my side a lot, despite how much OSD tries to prevent it)

However this visit, after the initial greeting of Grandpa by SGS, and ignoring me, DH stops SGS in his tracks and says loudly "hey, what about Grandma Disillusioned? Where's her hello?"

Now, this child receives no encouragement at all to have a relationship with me (although OSD likes to drop him off with us and expects me to look after him) and she actively discourages him from liking me. But, when someone gives him "permission" as DH did, the child comes running to me, huge hug, big smile

This in turn ticks off OSD because she was hoping it would appear that SGS cares as little for me as her, only wants to see his grandpa, etc...and she follows up with completely ignoring me when we walk in the room, then her and DH's sister side up together to continue to act like I don't exist. All a big plan, but, DH foiled that one simply by making it clear that he expected respect from SGS for me, and that he would insure his wife was acknowledged the same as him

Add to that, that SGS was very happy to do that, irritates OSD even more. But good for DH for showing me this support!

And when DH gave SGS a gift from "us" the child looks at it, takes it, and is about to run off but again DH stops him and says "Did you thank Grandma Disillusioned"?) Well OSD snaps at this point, and says sarcastically "Did you thank GRANDPA DH?"

Later she takes out the game, and has coaxed SGS into playing it with DH's sister. The three of them are loudly laughing, carrying on as if this game is the best in the world. At least OSD and DH's sister seemed to be having fun, SGS was rather quiet and seem sort of bored. DH & I are having a good discussion with FIL and SSIL, and the entire time we're trying to talk they are getting louder and louder, drowning our conversation out

While this is going on I remember I left my purse in the kitchen so go to pick it up, as I'm coming out SGS looks up and sees me and runs over yelling "Grandma Disillusioned, can you be on my team?" Then before I can answer he runs back to his seat, and pulls the chair next to it out for me to sit on.

DH's sister and daughter go quiet, then start to pretend they don't notice, but DH again did notice and says wow, how sweet is that, look SGS even was a gentleman and pulled the chair out for Disillusioned, how cute etc.. etc..." DH is on to them, and again showing his support for his wife

Well DH's sister stands up and says she has stuff to do, Disillusioned can take over her game, play for her, and fill in for her, etc.. " and of course suddenly OSD loses interest in being part of the game any longer, but starts loudly talking about their new house to DH, and how they're putting in a pool for SGS, how SGS loves to swim, how SGS is going to have so much fun. On and on trying to distract SGS from the game with me, which works, he finally says "What pool Mommy?" and then as she tells him all about it he comes over to sit with her to hear about his pool

Once she's accomplished this, and he is no longer interested in having a game with me, she goes back to talking to everyone else in a normal tone. SGS gets bored and asked DH to help him "poke" Papa Fil. DH pretends to poke FIL in the ear, FIL pretends to poke DH in the ribs, SGS laughs his head off then yells "Grandma Disillusioned, you're on my team, come help me get Papa FIL"

So as soon as I get up to start our 'sneak attack" with SGS, OSD loses it and screams "SGS, do NOT poke Papa!"

FIL, DH & I look at each other. Poor little SGS froze on the spot. So I say calmly "SGS, we know this is just pretend and we're not really going to poke Papa Fil now are we?" SGS is nodding yes, and then FIL jumps up with a huge display of pretend poking SGS - thank you FIL! - his little way of showing his support, and lack of appreciation for OSD's behavior at the same time it would seem.

DH sister now comes back into the room, sits down beside me, then turns to face OSD, with her back completely to me. Very rude. Again I ignore and start talking to FIL and DH, but DH looks at me, looks at them, shakes his head a little and then says to his sister and daughter "how about we have a family discussion, that involves EVERYONE in the room" Very pointed, definitely drew attention to how rude his sister had just been to me...not that it had any real effect, at dinner they sat together and carried on in their loud discussion with each other, deliberately seated me away from them and completely ignored me

Of course the best course of action is what disengagement, and I continue to work hard at it, but boy it really makes it so much easier when you seem to have the support of your husband (not to mention FIL) that's for sure Smile

catsmom01's picture

Geez. Yeah, you gotta love how these "women" use their children to manipulate even more. BLECH. There is no way I'd ever put myself in that situation around nasty women like that. OSD is a rude example of a mother. Good for your DH for including you. My BF would have had his head down and not said a word, allowing the nasty SD and sister to take control of everything and everyone (thus why I don't put myself in these situations anymore).

catsmom01's picture

Because a lot of these men are scared of their daughters...especially when there are grandkids involved. Ugh. Terrorists.

Disillusioned's picture

Yes that would be the ultimate soccerwife...generally DH is more like yours catsmomo1 - puts his head in the sand and doesn't say much. But this time, for my DH anyway, this was a change/big show of support

Most men don't do this soccerwife because not only do they feel guilty about the divorce, but they also live in fear their kids will walk out of their lives. OSD has threatened it, done it to some extent in the past, so definitely plays that card

I'm with you though - if I had an adult child like that I figure they are grown-ups now (at least in age) and they should be doing what's right. If they can't behave like decent human beings, then my job as parent not to mention spouse, is to stand up and support what is right. But, that is a big risk in some cases. Some men just don't want to risk losing their children and grandchildren.

I still tend to agree with you though. I would take that risk, knowing that what I was doing was right, and if my adult child decided to wrongly walk out of my life for standing up to them or supporting my spouse, then as hard as it would be, that would be a choice that they have made, and they would have to live with.

catsmom01's picture

Exactly. Because it's your job as a parent to enforce good behavior, manners, respect, etc. And don't parents realize that if they let their kid disrespect others, that kid will ultimately treat their parent the same way? My BF's daughter has many times played the game where if her father dares to tell her something she doesn't want to hear, or doesn't do what she wants, she will drop him like a bad habit and refuse to speak to him or see him for months on end. He gets to the point where he can't take it and goes chasing after her. Ugh...and now she has a kid too, so even more power to manipulate.

Disillusioned's picture

Good points threestrikes, this is exactly what I remind myself of, when it comes to SGS

If he says hellos and talks to me great, he always receives a warm reception. But if he ignores me, I pay no attention.

At this point in time, I'm 100% positive SD spends a lot of time manipulating him and his thinking about me. Some of the things he's said lately demonstrate this, and DH sees it too

Despite all that, he still seems to really like me and want to be around me. But, I never forget what his mother is like and what she works on consistently with him. A day very well will come when all her brainwashing sinks in, and he decides he hates me too

I engage with him if he comes to to me, but otherwise I'm distant. It protects me from that hurt from him that may well happen, and oh, denies SD the satisfaction of thinking she might be hurting me too (through him)!

Kinder1's picture

Very helpful comments. SD has treated me like a ghost after years of closeness. Now she encourages SGS4 to treat me well. I do not trust it and make sure I stay as distant as possible. When he engages me I am joyful with him and accepting but I do not go out of my way to see them, gifting, etc. Not going to set myself up for more hurt. Funny, I was falling for it and recently I realized it may be another trap. So sad.