You are here

DH's sister's "Blood Family" Power Trips - Grrrrrr!!!!!

Disillusioned's picture

DH's sister has always been nasty bully to me. She is a jealous, insecure, competitive bitch who seriously acts like a child

One of the many nasty things she does on a regular basis, is make sure she sends the message loud and clear to me that I'm NOT part of their family, nothing more than her brother's wife and mean absolutely nothing to her or OSD...she would like to include FIL in that but he has always treated me like a loved and welcome DIL so she can only go so far with that one

She constantly pulls 'power trips' on me by having "family" conversations in my presence in fact any conversations deliberately meant to exclude me. She plans "family" events in which every member of the family - except me that is - is asked to participate while I'm just standing around as a non-entity. She still often won't even so much as say hello when she sees me! On a rare occasion at one of their family homes, If I dare to sit on a chair at the dining room table anywhere other than where she specifically has said I can sit (usually at the end of the table farthest away or if other 'guests' are present then down with them the non-family members) Once little SGS said at a family event that he wanted to sit by me and DH's sister actually threw a fit and say NO he would sit in the chair she put out for him and not by me...the child was about three at the time! The list of her crap goes on and on

Although below is just one more thing...just need to vent about it!

So somehow I get sucked into participating in a bridal shower for YSD (OSD only included me I believe because she wanted to prevent me from having a shower for YSD myself, so figured if she included me in the one she was throwing, along with BM and DH's sister then I wouldn't do it) - that's a whole other post!

Anyway, I figured DH's sister's attitude would be WHY is Disillusioned part of this. YSD's sister, mother (BM) and Aunt should throw it, but why should I - just her brother's wife not part of her FAMILY - be included

She is one to jump all over me for anything at all. She lies and makes things appear to be what they are not. If I so much as sneeze she will jump on that will all sorts of insinuated accusations and attitude meant to humiliate me and make me look bad- literally over nothing at all

So OSD sends an email to BM, DH's sister and I suggesting a conference call on the weekend to talk about her extensive Excel spreadsheet full of To-Do's for YSD's shower.

DH's sister responds by saying Saturday or Sunday she suggests are the best times

I respond to say that sounds good, Saturday would be best for me if it works for everyone else

DH's sister then says okay SUNDAY (and emphasizes it will be Sunday) it is, and how she is trying to find a day that works for everyone??????

She is the one who suggested SATURDAY or Sunday in the first place!

And although it seems totally harmless, it is just yet another little way of saying YOU Disillusioned do not get a say. You're not family blah blah blah, and also her little comment about trying to find a day that works for "everyone" is another little sarcastic 'it's not all about YOU Disillusioned, trying to make it work for all blah blah blah

I remind myself she is jealous and insecure, and so always has to exert her 'power' in an effort to remind me that SHE not I is the all important family and I'm nothing more than a pain in the ass outsider that has no value for her and she will never accept

I did respond but say I had about an hour on Sunday, as DH and I have an Open House to hold among other things (we're moving)

She makes my blood boil on some days!

Jsmom's picture

Crap like that is why my Il's are not a part of my life. My husbands family is a pain in the ass and I choose not to be involved in their life. Seriously, why are you even putting yourself through that kind of crap? Life is too short.

Disillusioned's picture

That's so funny luvmypuppy - would love to tell her that is how she's acting. Especially considering she is the biggest snob. DH's family was at best - upper middle class - yet DH's sister walks around like she is soooooo much better than me. That I'm so gold-digging low-ended sponging off of her family

Reality is I was raised in a very close, religious, large blue-collar family. And yet, I'm college educated (more than her) and have been more successful in my career than her. Not that it's a competition but if you're going to walk around like a huge snob too good for your brother's wife, you might want to consider she is better educated and more successful than you. Not to mention, you had a much better start in life and yet she's still outdone you

She has literally followed me around and gone to work at the last two companies I've worked at (one still at) and after putting my role in those companies down, not only has she gone into the same role as me at the same company, but I've outperformed her in both cases! That is also a whole other post!!!

I think people who act like my DH's sister and the people you describe above luvmypuppy, behave this way because they're masking the fact they feel somehow inferior...like they have to prove that they're family, and an oh so important much better than other ones too!

Disillusioned's picture

Yes jsmom I'm asking myself the same!

Guess I was so shocked when OSD mentioned to me she wanted to get my help with the shower for OSD, I was caught off guard...and also would not want to say no to something for YSD, as she and I get along and that would hurt her

In hindsight, thinking I should have found a way to stay uninvolved! Sad

ETexasMom's picture

Sounds just like my adult MSD! She does the same thing but I finally broke her of her constant "blood" family comments. I finally looked at DH one day and said "I'm so glad we're not blood". When I got a questioning look I replied "if we were blood family I couldn't have sex with you". No more "blood" comments but she is still trying to run the show.

Here's a great previous post which really helped me. https://www.steptalk.org/node/60090

Disillusioned's picture

I should try that one ETexasMom!!

Yes I've read that article and have found it really helpful. This is exactly what I experience with DH's sister and OSD, this post finally helped me to see it for what it was, and to understand that unfortunately it's common on the step world Sad

Amcc13's picture

I wouldn't do the shower. I agree with the above posts. Talk to the bride and explain it doesn't fit. Take bride and husband out for special shower meal a different day- some place nice that bride will enjoy.

If you do it you will just be bullied isolated and humiliated nothing you do will be right do you really want that ?

Disillusioned's picture

Yes Amcc13 I'm afraid everything you said does makes sense....problem is both DH and YSD want me involved....seriously thinking of backing out anyway