You are here

CS still going to BM even though child lives with her parents

Fiddler55's picture

Hello all, just found this forum, can't believe I did not know it existed. Anyway, my SD lives very far away and we only see her every couple of years ( fine by me) . Last year BM moved away to another state with her new husband and now SD (17 yrs btw) lives with her grandparents. DH has been paying his child support all along and even though the grandparents supposedly have custody, BM is still getting to keep the CS...with no child to support! Ugh! I heard from SD that her grandparents want to let BM keep the money in case she needs it. But I don't feel like that is their decision. IDK if they even do have actual custody bc me an DH have no clue and very little contact with them. I just wonder if there is anything DH can do. The good thing is we have almost 9 months left on the CS yay! I just think the whole thing is effed up. It's one thing to know that BM is squandering away the CS while living with the child, but to know she's getting this money and doesn't even live in the same state as her daughter just pisses me off to no end.

hereiam's picture

The grandparents most likely do not have legal custody and if they are willing to support their granddaughter without the CS, that's on them.

I understand you don't want BM to have the money, we went through the same thing with my SD. She lived with her grandmother the last year or so that my DH paid CS. We just let it go, it wasn't worth it and we figured that was between BM and her mother. Had the CS went to BM's mom, BM would've convinced her to give it back to her, anyway.

You just have to stop thinking about it. The important thing is, your DH is fulfilling his legal responsibility and it will be over soon. Don't drive yourself crazy over it, it's not worth it.