You are here

Back to school supplies

Sadasusual's picture

Just out of curiosity, do your BM's ask for extra money on top of the monthly CS for school supplies? In our state CS is ridiculously high and the amount DH pays BM is more than enough for food, water, shelter, basic necessities. He'll give her extra money for sports that SS plays but she's always asking for more, for example the school supplies. She goes out and buys the best of the best name brand stuff, and then asks for half of the bill. Excuse me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the over abundance of CS she already gets go towards some of that? I'm frustrated because DH and I work so hard and so much, while she stays home and reaps the benefits.

Last In Line's picture

BM asked to "split the cost" of back to school shopping. I have NO doubt that we actually paid every penny of it, and DH didn't ask to see receipts. Also, had I done the shopping, I could have spent probably 1/8 what she claims she spent and the kids would have been just as well dressed and supplied. She bought name brand everything, $40 shirts...disgusted with her for acting like DH is an ATM, and with DH for allowing it. He wrote her 2 checks that totaled $708 for "his half" of the shopping, but was then informed he needed to buy the backpacks for both kids because she had run out of money. My two are 16 and 18, and for clothes and basic school supplies I spent around $200 for both. (Not counting BDs college textbooks because the skids had no comparable expense)

Disneyfan's picture

What in the world did she buy? I'm all for the back to school shopping sprees. But damn.

If she wants to spend that much cool, but there's no way she should expect/demand to split the cost.

Last In Line's picture

Honestly, I haven't seen ANYTHING that would justify the amount money she claims to have spent...not $708, certainly not $1416, with us buying backpacks that weren't included in that, and paying for SD to "try" gymnastics, and paying for SS yearbook and school shirt. Hell, either of those figures is more than I spend on my own clothes in an entire year.

Last In Line's picture

It makes me almost physically ill to know he is such a sucker for this crap...but if I question it, he is all "I want the kids to have nice stuff so they aren't picked on like I was when I was in school". I totally get that, but I promise I could have dressed those kids for $200 and have them never get picked on.

FrenchPeas's picture

Nope, I don't ask for help with school supplies. For the last two years, I watched H buy all the clothes and supplies and pay CS. She would promise Nike shoes and never come through. I don't buy Nike. Too expensive. My kid isnt made fun of and thank The Lord for school uniforms. I buy old navy. H buys American eagle. His choice but his kids demand the pricier items and he doesn't say no.

I bought all the supplies reasonably. Great prices on clothes to start the year. Even got my daughter in college (4 year university) for $600. Not joking.

Whatever your BM is doing, she's wasting money left and right.

hereiam's picture

BM over here knew better than to ask.

Your DH just needs to stand his ground and tell her, "No". Back to school crap is part of supporting a child, therefore, CS covers it.

LAMomma's picture

I get CS and don't expect any help with uniforms and school supplies. Sure, It's nice if they decide to help out or do something. My ex bought our daughter a pair of school shoes to share between houses so I was thankful for that because realistically he didn't have to and it saved me money.

BM over here hinted around that uniforms were expensive, blah blah blah. Spouse told her that's what CS is for and walked away. She's always complaining, moaning and groaning about money so if we give in an inch in her case she will try to take a mile or expect it.