You are here

Any suggestions about dealing with the lies....

RST's picture

Hi All,

Has anyone got any advice on handling SD lying?  They're never major lies, by that I mean covering up a crime, but everyday things.  We've always had BM lying, we've also been present when she's thrown her DD under the bus over it but SD15 is now replicating that behaviour, lying and throwing it back to BM, she's been caught out again this weekend.  SO has spoken to BM about it but she throws it back saying there must be an issue with his communication with his DD for her to feel the need to lie.  This time she's been lying about what time she needs collecting, it's a conversation SO has with her every weekend with no issue so why she's lied this time he has no idea.

I get that teens lie sometimes for various reasons but how do you deal with it in your home? 

marblefawn's picture

Until this lying phase blows over, perhaps you could send SD a text asking her to text back the time she needs to be collected. If she's lies again, you'll have the proof who was "miscommunicating."

You can do this with everything she might or has lied about -- days she has practice, when the school trip is, whether she finished her history project. Kids love to text and you'll have everything in writing until she catches on to you! 

Having the proof (oops! I mean, the text) should put BM's mind at ease too about your communication problem -- LOL!

RST's picture

What a great idea, thanks for the advice. 

It would make SO's life alot easier to have 'proof' rather than just the ridiculous she says (SD), she says (BM) rubbish he listens to. 

MoominMama's picture

We have literally tried all the advice and Ss18 remains a liar. His mother was the same. I think its a learned behaviour .