You are here

And the SD gets it all...

Still Have Hope's picture

My dear great aunt died today at the age of 85. She had no children of her own. So everything she had goes to her SD. SD hasn't spoken to my aunt since her husband died in 1984. SD never called, visited or inquired about her SM's health after her dad died almost 20 years ago. My aunt's nieces took over caring for her these last years - taking her to dr. appts., getting her medicine and groceries, and seeing to her finances. Before her body was even cold, SD was at the house claiming it all. Thankfully, dear aunt divided up the family heirlooms (china, crystal,Irish linens, antique Christmas ornaments,et.) among her niece's long ago. Nothing really left but an old house in ill repair and even older furniture. I just hate to see cold-hearted witch benefit from dear aunt's passing.

aggravated1's picture

Did she not have a will? Why was everything left to her SD? If she didn't adopt, her SD has no claim, right?

Still Have Hope's picture

Aunt and her DH agreed before he died that since they had no children together his daughter would inherit. My aunt was a lady of her word and left it like that even though he died long ago. She did distribute heirlooms from her side of the family to her nieces so they all have mememtos of her and the family photos, Bible etc.

IslandofDreams's picture

That's what I thought too. Steps have no inheritance rights to Step family's property.

My steps have no rights to any of my property.

threepointo's picture

Actually in the end if all that was left was a home in ill repair and furniture (hopefully no liquid assets) then it will end up being a big pain in the butt for the SD since she will have to manage the estate ie. selling of home and if the house is thrashed. I would be curious on how this will turn out. Wouldn't it be nice is SD is pissed she has to deal with it or if it costs her money.... Just a thought.