You are here

Am I being irrational?

Brit's picture

Am I being irrational?

SD5 started getting a cold last night and woke OH and I up a couple of times throughout the night (now I am also starting to get sick). Anyway, today we sent her to school as she was in good spirits and still had lots of energy. At about 11am OH gets a call to go and pick her up. The thing that annoys me about this is that when SD stays home sick or gets picked up OH tends to make this time enjoyable, sometimes going to the park or to play at Grandma's house. My opinion on this is that it simply encourages SD to want to stay home rather than teaching her that if you are genuinely too sick for school then it's bed rest as the only option. So today he picked her up and tells me that he is going to go to his mums place because he is going to go insane if he has to stay at home anymore. My issue with this is if she is well enough to go to Grandmas and play outside with her cousin who got her sick in the first place then she is well enough to be at school. And on that note why would you want her and the person who made her sick in the same space again? When I express my opinion I look like the bad guy. 

Side note:
I am also a teacher and I don't particularly like sick children coming to school spreading germs, but if I think she is well enough to go that is saying something.

What are your thoughts?

Indigo's picture

Jimminey, too sick for school meant too sick for fun & stuck in bed with a boring book.  Boring & 45 years past.

Sorry that you've been stuck between expectations. You're good.

tog redux's picture

I agree with you. If you are well enough to play outside, you are well enough to go to school. Your DH needs to figure out how to entertain himself at home when he’s sick. . No projects to work on, lawn work to do, cleaning that needs to be done, movies to watch or books to read?  But I suppose it’s his kid, he can decide. 

I never understand how people get bored. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I think it is perfectly normal for her to test these boundaries. Your DH should stick to the sick means sick rule. In the bed, not the couch, canned soup and ginger ale and that is all. Sick time should not be fun time. 

ESMOD's picture

If there is any thought that the child could be faking or exagerating.. it's definitely bed and bland food.

I do know that when I had a more clearly identified illness.. I was allowed a bit more leeway with playing outside my bed..or watching TV.

It sounds like the driver for going to grandmas was more your DH wanting to get out of the house.. and perhaps even let his mom take on some of the childcare weight.

I'm guessing that if she was exhibiting symptoms at school.. she was probably too sick to be there and probably contagious.  Rest and fluids would do her best.. but for a cold, I actually find that sometimes a bit of fresh air and activity actually makes me feel better.  I'm on the fence about her playing with another child and possbly swapping more germs.. but A little outside activity might do her good.

While she might be able to get through a school day... probably a bit of rest.. will be good for her.. and also part of the reason they sent her home is to not infect the rest of the kids.

marblefawn's picture

He sounds like a typical indulgent parent -- doesn't want to punish the poor kid for getting sick by making her stay in bed and get better! Instead, let's reward her for finding a germ on her own and then send her back out there to find more!

It also sounds as if your husband sees these days as "fun" days with his daughter. He's indulging himself a little too, but at least it's because he enjoys spending time with his kid. It could be worse...and it will be...

If you pointed out this cause and effect to him and he doesn't feel compelled to change, I'd start preparing for the days when she wants to hitchhike to a concert or let her boyfriend sleep over. I'm pretty sure he won't change his answer, no matter the question.

flmomma08's picture

Normally I would agree with this but my 3 year old is home sick right now and wants to go play outside. Of course I told her no, you are home because you're sick so you need to rest - but just because she wants to play doesn't mean she isn't sick. She has a 102 fever so sending her to daycare isn't an option. Sometimes kids just don't care that they are sick.

sunshinex's picture

I agree with you. 

When kids are home sick, they're in bed or laying on the couch watching TV. They're certainly not running around playing. You need rest to get better quickly. 

BUT I do give a bit of lenency in the way that I, personally, don't like to spend all day in bed when I'm sick. I try to rest, but I also try to do things that make me feel better. So I do the same for our kids. I remember distinctly, being about 7 years old, sick at home, and my mom brought me some magazines and this special cup that had a windy straw going around it for juice. 

It sticks out to me as a really loving gesture so I try to do the same for our kids. I don't let them go crazy and have a bunch of fun because they need to rest, but I do let them watch cartoons, laugh, enjoy themselves, etc. 

Thisisnotus's picture

This is my step kids weekly, including today. It’s a disaster but not my problem thankfully. They stay home from school non stop just because they say they are sick.

If they sneeze Bm keeps them home or picks them up from school. They will miss a Friday....go all over town all weekend...then miss Monday. 

When Sd16 stays with us....I take her to school and half the time she never enters the building cause BM comes to pick her up.

Siemprematahari's picture

I guess some things are not so common sense to people. I also don't understand that if she's too sick for school how is she physically healthy to play outside and go to the park to have "fun". Your H doesn't see the dilemna in this? How these actions are showing SD that when she plays sick that means a day off from school and play time with daddy and GM's house......

Brit's picture

Thanks for all the replies everyone and for making me feel like I'm not the evil stepmother for having this opinion. I agree with some of you saying that the school may have sent her home because they didn't want the spread if germs. I j understand this as a scho teacher. But i believe it then comes down to the parent parenting and e forcing too sick for school too sick for play at be grandma's. Obviously some tv time and reading books is fine, I just don't agree with being able to run around outside like a normal day.

Thanks again!