You are here

Almost done with SD's summer visit..... and i think i am happy about that!

not yet a step mom's picture

i'll start off by saying that overall, i feel pretty lucky with my situation and the step child i have in my life.
but, as most others on this site, sometimes... i am ready for her to go back to BM's! haha
couple questions for you all;

1)at what age did your step kids or biological kids stop calling their parents "mommy or daddy" ?
i know its not a big deal.. but sometimes i wonder.. is she going to keep doing this when she's a teenanger (she is almost 11 now)?

2) at what age do you think its appropriate to have kids start washing some dishes? (we don't have a dishwasher) we havent' asked her to start washing any of her own dishes yet, but... i am thinking maybe next visit... b/c its starting to get to be alot for my SO and i to wash ALL of them.. especially when there's more people in the house (ie; her visits)

3) do you all have any tips on whats the best way to react to attitude? She has been pretty good about not givigng me any attitude this summer (as compared to last summer), but now its almost time for her to go back to BM's.. and i am starting to get the 'tide when i ask her to pick up after herself.. or basically anything that she doesnt' feel like doing. and its definitely annoying! i have talked to my SO about it and he thinks that we are both just getting on eachother's nerves cuz we are both sick and its the end of ehr visit. i said that may be true, but still doesn't mean i should have to get an attitude every time i ask her to close the front door after herself or turn the light off in her room when she's not in it. what did i do to deserve crappy treatment? or i keep my mouth shut and do it for her like some kind of maid! (which wont' happen).

anyway.. thanks for any input or advice you all can lend.