You are here

Survived SD21's Visit ..... AND never again !!!!

Sweetnothings's picture

Hi....yes I survived her visit and surprised even myself with my coolness and handling the situation.
Had some really useful little tricks to keep me going when I was stressed though, like keeping a mental clock ticking down in my head to the moment when she left, also DH and I had a secret word on the go, for when either of us needed to talk to the other about something and we would make excuses as soon as possible to be alone and discuss it.....worked a treat to keep things from brewing up into big old rows at bedtime !!!
SD21 looked a real mess and the extra weight is more like 43 lbs than the 30 lbs I had estimated, and the clothes she wore were awful, just so unflattering on someone who has gained a lot of weight and is trying to squeeze into slimmer style clothes. DH commented on it ALOT and also how she couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without a little wheezing....so unfit...
I rarely talked to her, the hello in the morning, and an odd handful of words during the day. I left all that to DH and he really surprised me by what he picked up on.....I didn't mention what I had noticed just let him talk about it to me. He did tell her that he was not doing the mega big shopping spree to replace her wardrobe, he's done this in the past, AND he stuck to it!!! She arrived with the biggest case EVER, and it was half full, so that pissed her off. DH even drove her to the stores and let her go off on her own for an hour to " shop" ....she came back with two small bags, no major clothes purchases.....gee I guess it's time to get a JOB and buy your own clothes !!!! Also, the last day is when she usually hits him for money, etc, but I stayed within earshot during the day and DH didn't agree to anything and SD21 got the message.
Biggest thing she did to piss me off was to post loads of photos on Fake/ Boast Book, including a few with us in without our permission, you know taken even without us knowing?? Well, I asked DH to sort it and although he struggled a bit it was taken care of, photos removed and no more of SD21 ruling the roost !! She also arranged to meet friends here for coffee and expected DH to chauffer her there and back, he said he was available for a two hour window, but on a particular day and at this time only, well, SD21 didn't like that, so actually put her plans on hold....good....she was only here for a few days to see DH not her friends!!!
Best thing to come from this visit....DH seems to be understanding her WAYS even more now, and she is NOT visiting us next year !!! I was sooo happy to see her go, she was forever putting down the younger Skid, and making sure she was known to be the cleverer one, she also monopolised the convos alot, but I would just step in and turn the convo if DH left it for tooo long !!!

Most Evil's picture

I had to chuckle at some of your survival tactics, although I do understand exactly what you mean!!!!! I can only hope maybe your DH being stronger than in the past will force her to grow up some.

I am thinking I was dumb when I was young but hopefully not that obnoxious!!!!! Congrats on getting through it without losing your cool-!!! Smile

Sweetnothings's picture

Thanks! I hope sooo, I am soo over even trying with her anymore, she is so NOT a person I would be friends with anyway in normal non- step life !! DH treated me with love and respect and he actually parented, I thought I would never see the day !! Let's hope we can keep it going!! SD21 is already " planning" her next visit over to us on Fakebook ( we were checking to see she had kept her promise not to post photos, etc, after that we are done looking, her life is really dull.... ) gee I would love to see her face when DH tells her NO ! Yipee !!

Sweetnothings's picture

Hmmmm, no memails from SD21, since she left to go home.....before her arrival she was memailing DH about 4 times a week. Should I be concerned she has gone quiet ??? Anything to do with her, after so many years of problems has left me paranoid to say the least!!!! More to the point DH has not emailed her either !!
Wonder what is going on ??? I'm away at the moment, so cannot really have heart to heart with DH until I get back...... Let's hope it's just the usual, if Daddydearest is not giving her money, she cannot be bothered with him.....

Sweetnothings's picture

Yep, I cannot believe how well it worked.....with DH....it's such a simple idea !!! Wish I'd had it a few years back I used to hate those heated hushed rows at bedtime, especially with SD21 in the next room !!!

neversecondplace's picture

I totally am gonna try the "Safe-Word". What a great idea! And no more sd21 too.... Smile

KP123's picture

I am sooo glad to read this! I am a new sm to a bratty, spoiled 18 year old who doesn't have anything to say to her dad unless she is mad at her mom or wants money. I hope that my hubby can be as understanding as yours...right now in our house, I don't say much about her behavior. He feels guilty that he hasn't been around much, he moved away from her, and he likes being the "friend" or "cool parent". He doesn't say much to discourage her behavior and in fact I think he tells her that he only gets on to her to appease me. She dislikes me and tries to do things to bother me, but somehow it's my fault that there is tension between us. I bent over backwards to like her and have her like me, but one of the first days that we met, she promptly got on the cell phone that I pay for and told her mother how much she didn't like me right in front of me with my husband there. I am just hoping that she is away at school and won't come to visit us much anymore.

sandye21's picture

Stop paying for her cell phone. Let BM or DH pay for it. It sounds like she is playing games at your expense. I found, after 20 years, it does NOT get better when you bend over backwards to make them like you. What really worked for me was letting DH know I thought I was worthy of mutual respect from both he and SD, and I fully expect it.

Sweetnothings's picture

Entitled Skids think they are just sooooo entitled......well entitle yourself outta the house and GET A JOB !!!!

Surely, if they believe they have a right to EVERYTHING, those rights MUST include a job ??????