You are here

Alimony Terminated?

aka's picture

Has anyone have success getting alimony reduced or terminated? My DH divorce degree does state that his alimony is modifable so he filed a motion to have it terminated based on the fact the BM now has a degree and her boyfriend is living with her. Who know if it will fly but at least we tried. I am wondering if anyone had any success with this.

AngelCakes's picture

I wish I could say yes but alas its near;y impossible to have it reduced or terminated. Its would probally cost more for him in legal fees then what the alimony is. My DH was ordered to pay spousal support to his EX who has 2 Degrees and a government job that pays over 30/hr. And they weren't even married a year. Alimony should be based on supporting someone until they can support themselves, and now that your DH's Ex knows shes getting money she'd fight hell or high water to make sure that she still gets paid. I know that when she marries again, he is no longer obligated to pay, so when her and her b/f become common-law husband and wife make sure you drag her ass back into court.

smurfy1smile's picture

PM me with your state and I will find the law for you, if I can and post it.

now4teens's picture

He had in his divorce decree that alimony was to be terminated if she shacked up with another guy. This was written in because of the affair she had that ended their marriage, and the fact that DH did not want some random guy(s) just living with her while his 3 young daughters were in the home with her- it set a bad example and he was VERY uneasy with it.

So SHORTLY into the separation, DH started to 'get wind' from his daughters that 'the guy' she was with was sleeping over A LOT. First on weekends, then several nights during the week, then all the time. Then, by their reports- his clothes were there, and he had officially moved in, although they were told by the BM to NOT tell their dad!

So DH hired a PI (and yes, it cost some bucks) to follow the guy around and find out he was no longer staying at his previous address. He found out that he had rented out his room to another person, plus he recorded his truck being at BMs house for weeks at a time at 4am.

Given that evidence, she caved before it even went to court, and alimony was terminated.

As I said before, it cost DH some money and some sleepless nights, too, because on nights when the PI couldn't do 'drive-by's' of BMs house to check on his truck- DH would get up and video record it for himself!

But it was worth it in the end, because he was paying her a TON of alimony- over $4200/month! And she had to give back the luxury car she was using, so it was a double-whammy!

Good luck.

"If you have never been hated by a child, you have never been a parent."
-Bette Davis

anncanbike's picture

Can someone tell me why DH would allow cohab & continue paying alimony b.c. BM said, he doesnt' live here just stays a lot & he doesnt' get mail deliver & there's no commitment. Two years the bum lives there & DH paid $3,500 a mo. to her. The order expired in Feb to pay ailmony and now she's going to lose the house, phone shut off, no food, & its all DAD's fault she tells swins. He then write her a check for $2,500 & offers to pay mortgage until house sells. That was two months ago, house still isn't for sale & she's at BIke Week in Sturgis for 18 days (doesn't work). Last straw for me: before she leaves for "vacation" she asks DH to hock her engagement ring as pawn shop would give her $900 & it cost $3,000 20 years ago. He told her he'd think about it! I went ballistic. Week later he tells when I follow-up that his Mom offered to buy ring to help BM. Left me speechless. Why why why is anyone helping her? What should I do?