You are here

Accused of Child Abuse

Dashin20's picture

I have now been accused of Child Abuse

The legal documents state:

"The minor child has returned from visitations with Father with bruising and other injuries which have been attributed to Father's wife."

I have NEVER abused a child, much less my DH's.
I know I am going to have to get an attorney to fight it. That is already in the works.

However, I was wondering if any of you have ever been in this situation. If so, how did you rise above it? Once it was ruled unfounded, what happened to the BM? Anything about your experience would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks

Dumby's picture

Was the child bruised when she got to your house or when she left? What kind of injuries did the child have? Can you elaborate? I certainly hope everything comes out alright for you.

Dashin20's picture

No. Nothing was ever done. She may have had bruises that every other 2 year old has, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have never even spanked her.

There is nothing to elaborate on, other than nothing happened. That was just put in a legal document.

Totalybogus's picture

Whar legal document was it put in? Was Child protective services involved? Has an investigation been initiated?

Dashin20's picture

It is in a petition to modify custody. Obviously it is not concrete because it is not in a court ordered document, but I am still going to have to defend myself, and the same goes for my husband.

CPS was called on my husband, but the case was closed and dropped, they never even came to his house or met with him personally.

The BM said that a case could be reopened if I was in the child's presence, but I contacted DCS and they told me I was nowhere in a file.

So now, it is just the BM making false allegations. I just want to know if there can be any repercussions for her! I am not worried about myself, i know I didn't do anything.

Totalybogus's picture

You can file a civil lawsuit for monetary damages against her for defamation of character and libel, especially if it has caused you adverse affects in your personal life.

Dashin20's picture

I contacted DCS and they have worked with me and said my name has never even been brought up. The BM also sent DH a message saying the only reason the original case against him was dropped, and I was not pursued was due to lack of evidence. So MAYBE that will help.

giveitago's picture

That is absolutely preposterous! We had a similar situation whereby our 11 year old was put on a time out and did not like it so she beat herself up and called the cops on her Dad, he went to JAIL!! Said 11 year old has a juvenile offender file three inches thick so the DA dismissed the charges. The ironic part was that this child got the ONE cop in our area who had never met her and he believed her and arrested DH. What really sucks is that the mother is using the child to get at you? WTF?? BM needs to get over some stuff!!
This is low down behavior and just watch the trend it's setting, the child is 2? Make sure that you make authorities aware, swear in an affidavid, take pictures of the child when you get her and pictures when she leaves again! The child could have been coaxed into saying just about anything by a manipulative BM. I wish you luck, indeed all of you going through similar situations.

Dashin20's picture

The child is no longer welcome in my home, I will not have that around my children. I sincerely hate it for the child but I will not be put through the ringer and have my life/career destroyed because of a crazy BM. I also do not want any of that for my children.

Sorry if anyone thinks I am terrible for it, but that is how it is.

CaveCanem's picture

This is where I am at now too. And the SS is not even a year old yet. The BM has threatened my husband telling him she will make his life a living hell, she lied on a court document (when she was yet again trying to get more money) that he was "hostile" to her and the child...uh he hasn't even talked to either of them since court last year! She claimed he was trying to put her in the poor house, she is literally at the courthouse trying to file something, ANYTHING on him. She told the judge he was late on a cs payment (and actually it was the state's fault in dispersing late) so he should be in contempt and go to jail....and that's just the tip of the iceberg! I feel the need to now protect my kids and family, and support my husband's decision for no contact (at least for now). Its sad, but I too have a career I just can't take the risk of extra drama...the BM has nothing to lose, she's been unemployed since 2008.

bigblues1981's picture

This happened to me about two years ago. The BM called CPS on me and DH and told them I was locking her in closets and that I was neglecting SD by not feeding or bathing her!! :jawdrop: I was so mortified!! We had to take our other kids up to the CPS office so they could see them and take pictures of them....I was crying like a baby when the CPS lady read off the charges...But eventually we were told we were clear of any wrong doing and that was it...but it still pisses me off because I'm always worried that there is still a file on us even though we were cleared...One time I was playing with my BD and I picked her up by the hands and i heard a pop...she started crying and would not move her arm so me and DH took her to the ER...and all I could do was cry because I was so scared that CPS was going to get involved again and see that we already had a file...but I over reacted..lol...she just had what they call a nurse's elbow...anyway I hope things work out for you!!

Dashin20's picture

See, that is what I am afraid of. I do NOT want to bring my child into it. He didn't do anything, and it is bad enough he had to hear the things the SD2 said about me. I don't want him being interrogated because BM is a nut job. That really bothers me. I was literally sick to my stomach when I found out.

Dashin20's picture

That is EXACTLY what I am doing. I refuse to put my son through that, or be accused of being an unfit parent.

hismineandours's picture

I feel for you all. SS has always made allegations against me-but just to bm and other sympathetic ears-no DCS reports-thank goodness as not only could it ruin my family but also my career as I am a therapist. Even if the reports were unfounded it would not look good to have a case with my professional contacts.

Recently I've been given the option to train to act as a mediator for divorce situations-I've really been on the fence about it, but more and more I am thinking something needs to be done-I hate this sort of injustice.

windee's picture

My SS would be out of our house too Dashin20! You are NOT a bad person b/c of your feelings! Man! I would be angry! I am amazed at how many people on just this website have been accused of this! It makes me even more cautious!

lilgirlz2's picture

My brothers ex girlfriend accused my brother and his current gf of sexually abusing my nephew. He was 7. He had to go to counselors/therapists etc. Attorney assigned to child etc. Prior to this my brother had visitation one day a week and had asked for shared custody numerous times (hence the trumped up charges by ex). After the charges were deemed baseless, the judge gave my brother 50/50 custody and verbally admonished the mother. So sometimes it does work out and crazy bm get what they deserve. Still sad that child had to go through all of that.