You are here

About to give up on this site from too much judging...

stepmom2011's picture

This site should be a safe place to vent feelings we can't necessarily say out loud to just anyone. I have been witnessing too much "you made your bed, now lay in it" to be comfortable sharing more of what is going on in my life. At first I was so excited to find this place where I can vent and get support. Now I am thinking it is time to find another place for support where I don't feel I need to filter my feelings. I already do that all day long. I am very saddened by what I am seeing on this site.

Please be good to each other. Pretend that the person posting is your dearest friend who is hurting and needs encouragement to make it through another day. Use your words to build up, not tear down. Many people posting are on the edge and trying to hold on for dear life. Help them, comfort them, tell them they are not alone.

Thanks

kalmolil's picture

You two have apparently missed the message in stepmom's post. She isn't asking for everyone to agree with her or for any special treatment. She's simply saying don't hop on a thread and be judgmental and hateful. Being honest and open is perfectly acceptable and is a way of life for me. I'm brutally honest and won't sugar coat anything but I also take care to remember to be compassionate and try to understand where the other person is coming from - not just blurt out what I *think* is the truth. Sometimes those that don't think before they speak have no clue just how rude, cruel and heartless they can be. I appreciate the diversity here and the difference in opinions because I'm not always able to see "the other side" - however, that "other side" does not need to be slammed in my face and I certainly don't need to be judged, attacked or belittled for any reason. None of us here deserve that.

marissamae88's picture

I couldnt agree with you more. I think thats the best of both worlds compassion but honest.

kalmolil's picture

How am I being hypocritical? I don't understand - by asking you to not be "crude and rude" in your assessment of others on this site? Well, gee..sign me up for hypocrisy anonymous then! I never stated for you to withhold your opinion or not say what you feel or think...I simply ASKED for you to do it with a little class and tact. That's hypocritical? Sure. If you say so. Wink

Asher10's picture

you asked for people to not be crude and rude therefore youre passing judgment on the way people express their opinions but you're expecting no one to pass judgment on the way others express their opinions...

omg i'm confusing myself but I can see how it would be labeled hypocritical.the "nice posters" judging the "mean posters" for judging the "sad,sorrowful posters" for judging their skids and bm's.

Biggrin

kalmolil's picture

I'm not intending to judge anyone and if that's how I'm making someone feel, I apologize. Do and say what you wish, share your opinion - that's fine. If the only way some here can do that is by being harsh, critical or judgmental *shrug* - then so be it. Apparently being respectful and polite and expecting the same from others is just too much to ask!

Asher10's picture

hey i'm not saying you're wrong.i'm trying to show you the hypocrisy in the arguement of telling people they should be nicer.

marissamae88's picture

Life isn't all butterflies and rainbows but when did that become our job to point that out to the person posting? I have noticed it alot has well. Lots of judging and frankly not a lot of nice comments. This place is supposed to be for us to come and vent, for us to not feel so alone and to ask for advice. Not well you should have done this or you knew what you were getting into. I agree with you stepmom2011. What ever happened to if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all?

kalmolil's picture

I agree completely with most everything you wrote, except that you shouldn't feel like your only solution is to leave and go elsewhere. This is your safe place, too, and you shouldn't let anyone take that from you. I hate our situation at my house with SD and I have good days and bad. Days that I wish she would never come around again and I let my anger take over, and days where I feel empathy for my husband and what he must be going through and I push myself a little harder and dig a little deeper to find more and more compassion. It's necessary to have a place to come and "vent" frustrations to and let out the poisonous feelings and this is YOUR place to do just that. Don't let anyone take that away - especially "holier than thou" overly opinionated, aggressive internet bullies.

alwaysanxious's picture

I'm not going anywhere, but seriously. If I wanted to hear "I knew what i was getting into" and "you arent a "real" parent so you don't understand" I have plenty of that in real life. I think there are a minority of people who feel that way here on this board and the majority would never say something like that.

purpledaisies's picture

I agree with onmyway. I think it has a lot to do with the delivery then what they are saying. Maybe that can be worked on as well as some compassion. Smile

Asher10's picture

honesty hurts no matter how softly you put it sometimes.typically the most hurtful comments to a person are the ones that she already knows are true deep down,that's why it stings so badly.peeling off the layers of self delusions and denials hurts a lot because you're left with nothing but the things you've been hiding from yourself.

stepgin's picture

I know the advice I've received has really given me some things to think about, new approaches etc. But there are those that come on pretty strong. In my own case, I absolutely LOVE little children and can only think of one or two that I haven't really cared for but it's hard for me to read posts about how much some people hate their 3 or 4 year old skids. I just can't relate to it. But I don't post on their thread either.

livelaughlove's picture

If you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all...or am I wrong? Everyones debating on whether u should be considerate to others or be a dick and make them feel like shit? This website is to vent on your own personal life and how your having a rough time no one needs to be attacked if you think someones way of living isn't 'how you would live your life' then move on to the next post don't judge someone on their life when they come here too feel a little better about it... not worse!

starfish's picture

sm2011, after your lengthy week long visit to st and you have concluded it's not for you, than it probably isn't... a tree hugging group may be better suited for you.

why didn't you just leave?? why the farewell smackdown to ST??

after your comments about this place, i hope you weren't seeking a "PLEASE STAY" rally.

secondplace's picture

I can kinda understand where SM2011 is coming from. Sometimes instead of offering a solution to his/her problem, we criticize the poster instead. For example:

When a poster blogs about a situation where she/he did something wrong, and basically asks for people’s help on how to fix it, people will often focus in on and criticize her for what she/he did, instead of offering help in how to fix it like he/she asked.

Or in another poster’s case, she vented about her SS and DH stealing her daughter’s honey bun. Instead of either agreeing with or disagreeing with her vent, she got jumped on about feeding her daughter a honey bun.

I wouldn't be too thrilled about being on this site either if that happened to me.

Edited to add:

But as you said Starfish, she has only been on this site a week. Man, I hate that when people come along and try to make us all out to be hateful, judgemental etc.

overit2's picture

Ok-so in conclusion-this is a complaint on one of many boards Smile

If you're going to post on the worldwideweb...Be READY for DIFFERENT approaches to your vent/gripe/advice request/question. Otherwise go to your "yes dear" friends and vent to them so they can tell you what you want to hear and they've been trained to know will work for you.

Look-post what you want, vent about what you want, have an opionion like you want, bitch about others opinions if you want, get mad about it if you want, write a "everyone sucks" post if you want, go into a smackdown on a "good bye" thread if you want"..... freedom of speech everyone.

Don't expect people to act, type, think, speak, respond, question, opine, live, act and blog like you do. Respect eachothers right to be assholes, opinionated, stubborn, jugmental, accusatory, nice, bad, indifferent, stupid, rude, fake, overly nice, a doormat...

Get the picture? LOL

marissamae88's picture

I remember that post it was almost as if every nutritionist ran to tell her how awful she was and wanted to explain to her all the other alternatives she should be giving her and that was not even the point of her post........I would have felt attacked and that is sad were supposed to be here for each other. Disappointing

starfish's picture

over a frickin' honey bun??? i must have missed that, but if somebody is "attacking" you on the "web" about honey buns and you take it personally w/out even thinking about what a nut job one must be to attack a stranger on the internet over a fucking honey bun...

if that's the case, then the problems may run a little deeper than what a site like this could possibly help.

livelaughlove's picture

Uh just cuz your a 'old member' doesn't mean the 'new members' are blind you can all clearly see how some people post on eachothers stuff I haven't even been on here a week and can see some nasty post towards one another....for example you attacking this person for sharing how he/she felt about the site? I think this conversation should be over bc its a lose lose situation....people are going to write whhat they want regarless of others feelings, bc some people have no common sense or consideration for the way others feel

honeychild's picture

Sm2011- when I found this site it was for a thread started about 4 years ago and I was saddened by some posts. There were some who sounded so jaded and mean but other that seemed very compassionate. I agree it'd be nice if some things be handled more delicately but everyone is different and some find no room for sugar coating the truth. Don't let that discourage you. Perhaps those who you find judgemental had a bad day are going through hell or have been there and the brutal truth is what they needed. If their advice or comments don't help you don't take it. This site also has some amazing life stories that you can take a lot from. I enjoy it for all that it is. Some comments drive me nuts and others really help and I've only been here for a small while myself.

Evil Step Witch of OZ's picture

OMG what a load of crap over a post from a woman that wishes this site was used for what it was intended for. STEPTALK Where stepparents come to vent! NOT BE JUDGED from a bunch of people who should know better than to kick other people in the guts when they are asking for help! Shame on you people! I have had the same problem and have gone as far as to delete my blogs because of the crap people keep posting. They don't read the post and go on a tangent about there OWN feelings rather than give good advice. Get past yourself and remember the saying YOUR mother or father told you when you were growing up, If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! That doesn't mean bullshit someone and make the world all lolly pops and rainbows but you can be nice in the post rather than being an A hole.
Stepmom2011, if you find another site, please let me know, would love to join one that supports us and give good advice.
To those people who are lovely, I love reading your posts, they do make a difference.

skylarksms's picture

^^THIS^^

I am definitely not a fan of the "Farewell" blogs but there ARE a lot of judgmental people on here (yes I am judging YOU) and it gets sickening.

It is a lot of the same posters too. Which I why I don't come on here much anymore.

You can tell by all the people attacking the original poster over her opinion.

stepmom2011's picture

Wow everyone! Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I lurked for a very long time before joining and making my first post. I was unsure this was the right place for me since my home is in chaos, and I really don't have a lot of time for BS. There were a handful of people I thought were being unhelpful. I thought posting something about what I have been seeing would be productive. I guess the saying is true "Hurting people hurt people". I am all for telling the truth... with love.

If you are hurting, at the end of your rope, need to talk it out to someone who will listen and not give advice unless asked... you can talk to me. I am safe.