You are here

50/50 custody, but Dad wants kids here all summer! (& guess who he wants to watch them?)

Lamplighter's picture

I can't be the only step parent having this problem. The kids were born & raised in the house their dad & I now share. Regardless of (50/50) custody schedule, they deserve to be (aka their Dad WANTS them) here in their home whenever their mother is at work (or out of town or.....). Up for debate (or NOT) is the fact that, even though Dad is at work, he wants the kids here. If I'm not willing/able to watch them, then he wants to have a sitter HERE.
I'm telling him that:
1. I am not mentally, emotionally, physically able to handle them (SS-8, SD-10) being in the house all day, every day for 12 days at a time before a 2-day weekend break and it's unfair of him to ask me to.
2. Regardless of a sitter, if I'm at home, I'M responsible. I still have to function in the home....do laundry, start dinner, clean the house...., can't walk by the sitter & not intervene if one of the skids is misbehaving, still have to interact, etc. There will be "SM, are you going to swim with us this afternoon?" (I'm not sure, maybe if I have time when I'm done working") "Why not?" ("Well, when I'm done working for my job, I still have other responsibilities.") "When will you?" ("sigh") Come see what I did. ("I'm working, honey...can't right now.") "It'll just take a second".....dragging me by the arm..... Then there's the dreaded..."what are you making for dinner?" EWWW...smells like poop....why aren't you making pasta? I like pasta" OMG I'm going to scream.

Ok, I love the kids....good, smart kids and, from what I've read here, I have fewer challenges than some of you do with skids & Dad/Moms. These kids WANT me around, love me and even LIKE me (go figure).

So far my husband has signed them up for only one YMCA camp week, he's taking one week vacation to 'watch' them, and they'll be at the grandparents for 4 weeks dispersed throughout the summer. That leaves 7 weeks unplanned.

I'm starting a part time job in a week, working from home taking help desk calls. This will require a tremendous amount of concentration, and, even though my office is in the basement, I'll still hear the kids if they're in the house and will still be responsible for them when I'm through working or taking a break (regardless of a sitter).

I NEED quantity alone time for balance. The time that belongs to their mother would do, but their dad has absolutely NO regard for "custody," only describes his wants as the kids perspective. I told him "the kids are FINE.....WE'RE not." The more I try to explain it the more frustrated I become....in the back of my mind wanting to be what he needs me to be. My husband says the kids deserve to be here, in THEIR home where he knows they're safe & happy. But they have 2 homes now. We're getting nowhere. Had to tell him that if he's going to insist on having them here every day, then to be prepared to see a lot less of me. I've told him that I've talked to both mothers and stepmothers who all agree that he's not being fair to me. He wants to talk to 'them.'

I think he's projecting his fears into the situation, but am not completely sure what those fears are or how to get him to see that the kids are FINE and need to get out of the house and AWAY from each other.

Me: 50
Husband: 49
Stepmom since 7/2011
No bio kids of my own

Disneyfan's picture

Say no to watching the kids and having a sitter in the house with you. Start looking for camps for the 7 empty weeks.

I'm fighting the same battle. DF THOUGHT his kids were going to spend the month of July at home with me. His excuses are he can't afford summer camp and SD7 needs a break.

He's right, he can't afford the high end camp, but he sure as hell can afford the free camps. The free camps open up their remaining slots to the general public May 1. Guess who will be camp hopping tomorrow to pick up applications? Dirol

smdh's picture

I didn't even have to read the whole post. I read the title and immediately said "Negative, Ghost Rider". We have SD 50/50 and I work from home. She goes to daycamp on our days. Her mother deals with her on her days. Not my kid and I am not entertaining her all day.

dont know what to do's picture

hahaha..kill me now if i've gotta have skids all summer...no thanks. Look at grandparents too..maybe they want some time

forestfairy's picture

Tell him if he insists on this and you have no say, then you will be renting out an office space and will be working from there everyday. Then, bring your radio, tv, snacks, and just hang out there while you aren't working and come home at dinner time like he does.

He's being completely unfair to you.

fruststepmama's picture

Yep, good idea. Either they go to camp (look at these wonderful options!) or rent your own office space.

Your life is very important and you are entitled to want peace and quiet during the day. (The kids taking priority over everything is a bio-parent-only compulsion.)

fruststepmama's picture

Same here, too. Why is it that DH assumes I'll just drop everything and relish spending every day and night with SS9 for a month when HE WOULD NEVER WANT TO BE IN THIS POSITION HIMSELF. I mean, I get it--he's got the money job and I work from home, and I'm the mother figure, and I should like this kind of thing...right? Wrong. Mother figure does not extend to every child in sight. Get real. That's why everyone talks about how having your own kids is such a transformation...because we don't feel that kind of thing for kids that aren't our own...