OT - Weight Watchin' Wednesday
Welcome to WWW!
WWW is for sharing tips and ideas and options for healthier alternatives.
Let's talk about salt.
Plenty of folks are under the impression that they don't need to worry about the salt/sodium in their diets unless they have a medical condition like heart disease or high blood pressure.
Too much sodium can increase the rish for high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke - the latter two are the #1 and #3 killers in the U.S. (cancer is #2). It makes it harder for your kidneys to remove fluid - and excess fluid buildup can increase blood pressure. Over time, this stiffens and narrow blood vessels to reduce blood and oxygen flow to key areas, such as your heart and brain, ultimately raising the risk of stroke and heart disease. Gaaaaaaaah!
You can't just set aside the salt shaker. Plenty of the foods we eat already contain salt - especially restaurant meals!
So what can you use in place of salt?
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Flavored vinegars
- Salt-free herb blends (like Mrs. Dash or Bragg Organic Sprinkle)
- Chili blend (check chilii powder labels!)
- Cayenne powder
- Curry powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Citrus juices (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit)
- Onions (NOT onion powder - it typically contains salt)
I luuuuuuuuuv things like popcorn and french fries and margaritas. To go salt-free?
- Sprinkle garlic or cinnamon or chili powder on my popcorn.
- Dip my french fries in apple sauce (tastes like a fried apple pie!)
- Rim my margarita glass with cumin
What do YOU use in place of salt?