You are here

May be off topic but...

dadswife's picture

My husband and I were talking this morning about church and our pastor, and he said something very hurtful to me. I don't want to get in to it, but he basically made it sound like I am always the trouble maker, the one who can't get along with people. He really hurt my feelings.
We either had angry words for each other all afternoon or have not talked at all.
Then just now, I looked in his checkbook. We have separate accounts. For the 5 years we have been together, I have paid household bills, some of his truck payments, part of his insurance, bought all the groceries, Christmas gifts for HIS grown kids and grandkids, until a year ago, I said done with Christmas.
We have went back and forth on who pays the bills. I get mad and say I won't. Then he acts like he's broke, and i feel bad and pay some.
I lost my job of 23 years a month ago, and it has affected me like I've been hit by a car.
I've never had a man support me. Always made my own way. And I sure don't trust that THIS man could take care of me, if I need it.
I have some money saved up.
What I saw in his checkbook floored me. Last week, he gave $500. to a church that we do not attend. He used to be a member there but we met at OUR church where we both joined together. His mother and brother go to this other church.
What gets me is 1. he acts like he is always broke after paying bills but he can afford THIS?
2. At our church he tithes $60 a week when we go, and if we miss, nothing.
3. Our church took up a special collection earlier in the year, and I gave $1000. and he KNEW about it.
He gave NOTHING. I talked to him and felt like he should give something but he didn't.
And now I found out he gave $500 to some other church? And kept it a secret from me.
I usually don't even look at his checkbook but I just had an urge to look.

Maybe you all won't understand, but I feel betrayed, that he did not tell me, that he did not give to OUR church.
I am just angry with him in general right now.
I am angry that despite having no job, I have been buying groceries and paying household bills because I thought he didn't have much money.
But apparently he does.
I am sick of the money issues we have had.
He took care of his ex wife. He had kids with her, and paid EVERY BILL. She did what she wanted with her income. and then when she wanted a divorce, he let her keep the house, paid it off, and gave her a bunch of money.
Borrowed against his farm to do so, and borrowed from his mother.
And he went to a house that had a MORTGAGE, How the hell is that fair???
Everything she had was paid for and he's knee deep in debt.
And I resent paying bills when she never did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hatesteplife's picture

How long have you two been together? Do you have any kind of pact that one would help the other if he/she lost his/her job? How is your marriage otherwise?

My husband used to pay everything for his ex as well....she never had to work a day in her life and never will with the fortune he pays in alimony. And now if he makes a little more than me he always wants to buy himself something nice. Forget the fact that he will retire 9 years before me and expect me to support him....LOL.

I guess if you have separate accounts, you can't expect him to spend money where you want him to. But if you are paying bills because he's crying poor mouth, that needs to be talked about.

You guys need a heart to heart about finances and/or see a therapist.

dadswife's picture

5 years, and in our marriage VOWS we said for richer or poorer and to me that implies we take care of each other. He SAYS he can take care of me but I feel he is irresponsible with money and I don't feel like I can trust him, count on him.
Our marriage seems to suck pretty much. We have good days but we fight a lot.
Today he told me I was the stupidest woman he ever met, because I walked off down a long gravel road alone while he loaded the boat. Whatever.
My husband is older than me, and his partial retirement plan, I feel like was ME. I'd keep working, put him on my insurance...but that's all gone now!
We have separate accounts because HE wanted it. I was married before and had joint, and it was OUR money. He refused to do joint. Maybe because he is a selfish SOB. Unless you are his EX wife apparently.

dadswife's picture

ps
We had an agreement that we would discuss large purchases (or amounts spent) BEFOREHAND and he hid this from me
. I do feel like I should have say so where his money goes when I am paying the damn bills.

dadswife's picture

I am so mad, for so many reasons. His grown kids and his constant defending them. He NEVER takes my side or defends me. He automatically assumes if there is an issue with me and anyone, I AM TO BLAME. I'm sick of being belittled, talked down to, ordered around. I love him but honestly I feel like I hate him. I have anxiety, had it when he met me, he does not understand it and how it works. Most don't if they've never had it. After fights with him and losing my job, throw in some depression and yeah I guess I am irritable.
I feel like my life sucks completely. I am not happy. But I love him. I don't have any answers.

dadswife's picture

I didn't hate myself when I married him, but 5 years later...I do not like who I am, what the HELL has happened to my life??????????
I feel like I don't have any thing to live for, except him, and he goes back and forth between being nice and treating me like a POS.

stepinafrica's picture

*Hugs*

Since you have no job anyway I would suggest taking some time for yourself just to recover emotionally. Visit your parents for a week or two. Use that time to clarify your priorities. Sometime we get so caught up in the drama of DH/SKIDS that we forget about our own priorities until it is too late.

Re: finances since a good chunk of his money goes to BM, you need to learn to pay yourself. Set aside money for a retirement plan. DON'T SPEND YOUR SAVINGS! Invest them. I have learned that if I don't set aside money for myself, every.single.cent will be spent on the household, even though my DH also works.

dadswife's picture

My parents are both dead. I have no one. His money does not go to BM it WENT. His kids are grown.

stepinafrica's picture

I am so sorry about your parents. You still need a break though. I can feel that you are really overwhelmed.

dadswife's picture

Please don't talk to someone on a cliff. You have NO IDEA what all my anger is from, and YES he is to blame for some of it just like every one else's husband who has kids. And you know nothing of my situation or my job, don't put words in my mouth.
Yeah my judgment is skewed so much so I want to die, and it's not all over my job.But thanks for telling me I need to see someone. Like you know I'm not.

not your momma's picture

:jawdrop: That was one of the gentler posts I've seen from sue. Don't take your anger out on those who wish to help.

dadswife's picture

Don't tell me what to do. My "anger" comes when those who are "trying to help" assume to know all my life, when they do not, and when their comments do not feel loving or supportive. I've seen a lot of anger on this board. But there is no reason women can not act kind instead of eating the young alive.
I'm done here. it is pointless. I felt desperate and alone and I still do. Not just her post but others also, will just assume away and post things that are way off base.
You can just analyze someones life but what little they tell you here. Suggesting or insinuating someone divorce or leave their husband is not your place unless they are being beaten. Do any of you go to church? Pray for me, suggest counseling, offer an EAR and loving support. Sometimes a person needs someone who understands. Thank you for the one person here who gave me that.

jam's picture

You sound like a little brat. "Don't tell me what to do". People offer you advise. You just need to be smart enough to take it or leave it. No one is telling you what to do. No one here can make you do anything and I have seen your empty words threatening to leave here before.

I'm sorry. Hope it all works out for you.

not your momma's picture

We offer advice based on what you share. But whatever. I won't waste anymore of my time on someone who so desperately DOESN'T want help. Good luck to you.

Indigo's picture

I'd let Sueu2 talk me off a cliff, a ledge and away from an internet dating website for semi-seniors. She speaks clearly with thoughtful intent. Oh, and she'll verbally tell me to grow up, get over myself, get a life, stop complaining or whatever "truthful comment" she thinks will actually help. She does not tend to hold someone's hand or give emoticon {hugs}. Her advice is frequently spot-on. Of course, I will only admit that after I've had a chance to think about it.

WTF...REALLY's picture

I like sue. She is an opinionated person. Sometimes way off base and sometimes spot on. She is always worth reading. But I like strong women. Smile

dadswife's picture

I am allowing the fact that I was married before and didnt take it seriously and want to honor my VOWS to anchor me to my husband. Part of my misery is a job I had for 23 years was lost. It does weird things to a person. And did I mention i suffer from panic attacks and anxiety? FYI I am job hunting. I don't allow him to treat me badly, he is currently in other bedroom and I am not speaking to him. I refuse to be a doormat, and thus the fights. Your psychoanalysis is absurd. I am not allowing him to treat me poorly so I can blame him for being the person "I know he is"
I am upset with my husband but like I SAID I LOVE HIM. He is not all bad, but I didnt come on here to tell you how good he can be because I'm pissed.
I dont understand why some woman can't lovingly support other women.

hatesteplife's picture

I believe she was trying to support you. She (or he....didn't see who was responding) was telling you that you're worth more than a marriage that mostly sucks, more than a man who lies to you, more than all that! You sound very loyal to your husband from your responses here, but methinks you should stop taking care of him and take care of you!

dadswife's picture

Thank you for your support and understanding. We went to counseling briefly and he doesn't like what she said. he defended his daughter to her as well. Blames me for all our problems. We talked about seeing one of our pastors, but honestly I think it's all too embarrassing and I'd rather talk to someone I don't know. I went to counseling alone for awhile, then just gave up. I can't go until I get on his insurance now, in January.
I see someone for my anxiety but he just prescribes medicine.
Last time we went to counseling, we fought the whole session. I feel like he needs to go alone or me go and just keep my mouth shut and let him rage it all out and blame ME and see what the counselor says to him.
I have been married before, and I vowed to stay and I will.

hatesteplife's picture

If he doesn't want to hear what the counselor is saying, then he thinks all is right with him and it IS all your fault. Perhaps he won't change. Although you did not take your last marriage vows seriously, you don't have to go down with the ship if you are doing your best in this one and your partner doesn't care.

still learning's picture

It sounds like you've been the hard working "sugar momma" and now he's had extra cash to throw around and be "Mr. Generous," something he couldn't do with the ex. Does your DH have a hard time saying NO? The old church likely called and guilted him into a large contribution }:)

Even with separate accounts it's important to be on the same page about your financial situation. I hope you and your husband can resolve this.

dadswife's picture

you would be wrong. While I did bills, he pays bills that the got from the divorce, that he has to pay. You have no idea about him or his ex's finances....it was not like that, If you read my posts you would see he was Mr Generous then, with her. he worked 3 jobs to do so. And no the church did not call him.

still learning's picture

No, I don't have the time to read all of your posts or all of anyone's posts. I made a comment based on this post. It seems like you went from fighting with DH to fighting with everyone on this board. Oh well, I hope things get better for you.

Disneyfan's picture

Based on the way you have responded to people here trying to help you, I understand why your husband made the comment about you being the trouble maker/the one no one can get along with.

notasm3's picture

Ditto.

She came here saying she felt betrayed and that she felt she could not trust him. Did she truly expect people to tell her to just smile and trust him anyway no matter how often she felt he betrayed her?

Well here goes:

OP - honor your vows and trust your DH no matter how he treats you. Stop paying attention to his betrayals and just love him with all your heart. You love him. Nothing else matters. He's the husband and you should not question his authority. Ignore all the meanies who tell you to respect yourself. You only need to worship and obey your DH.

written in sarcasm font.

WTF...REALLY's picture

I guess what you want is love and light. Not thoughtful replies or good, solid advice. (Sue was spot on)

So here you go....so sorry this is happening. I wish nothing but the best for you. I wish for each of your coming days to be filled with peace. Everything will be fine. This too shall pass. Stay strong. Be the change you want to see. Hugs.

ldvilen's picture

dadswife, I do understand. I actually went through something very similar about a year ago, and maybe that alone will help that someone went through something similar to you and is now okay one year later. Anyway, I can totally relate to many of your comments. All of this pretty much happened to me overnight too: Losing a job and feeling like you've been hit by a car, feeling like you've been independent and have financially helped your husband out for years (not that you paid child support, but like many women you've had to pay for things to make up for his lack of funds due to child support), your husband acting like you having no job is not that big of a deal and you are still supposed to pay your share (we also have completely seperate accounts), feeling betrayed and then some because, yeah!, you know he appeared to treat his ex- way better, etc. I went through all of this and even more. I had to go through getting my butt kicked at his daughter's wedding too. HOWEVER, I don't want to minimize what you are going through, because everyone's situation is different, and I understand the fear and angst and shame and anxiety that goes with all of this.

There are many good recommendations above. Hopefully those above won't mind me borrowing some of them.
1) Note to new SMs, if you have seperate accounts--Do you have any kind of pact that one would help the other if he/she lost his/her job? If you don't, make some type of pact with your DH or SO. My DH and I never thought about this either, and if we had something in place prior to any one of us getting laid off, this may have helped.
2) Taking some time for yourself just to recover emotionally is important. Some do this better at home and some need to get away. You don't have to see mom or dad. It can be anyone or anywhere.
3) Clarify your priorities and be sure to include yourself in those priorities. Sometime we get so caught up in the drama of DH/SKIDS that we forget about our own priorities until it is too late.
4) Set aside money for a retirement plan. DON'T SPEND YOUR SAVINGS! Invest them. I have learned that if I don't set aside money for myself, every.single.cent will be spent on the household, even though my DH also works.
5) Just start job hunting so you can get yourself out of this funk AND feel alive/proactive. You could start with temp agencies, AFTER you've taken some time for yourself to sort out your feelings/situation. Just be a little careful, that you don't take too much time off. (One of the best jobs I ever had started out as a temp. job.)
6) Start small. There is nothing wrong with seeing a counselor yourself, and I can tell you from my own experiences, this really helped me get my feeling sorted out. Because, like you, I was beginning to question my own marriage. I'd avoid a pastor or similar. Their advice is usually to tell women in general to suck it up and take it. See a professional, well-trained counselor that gets step-parent issues.

Again, there are many issues you are having that I can relate to too. I get that you thought you and DH had a marriage, were husband and wife. And, then, when the bomb hit, you feel like you really don't and maybe hever really had a real husband or a 100% husband. I can relate to that. What I'm starting to figure out a year later, is that I do NOT have a TRADITONAL husband, but I do have a husband. I openly told my husband I (and I did use the word "I" even though at the time I thought he more of a ding-dong) was going through a rough time and was going to see a counselor (one also certified in marriage counseling) on my own. I got lucky and got a good therapist, who helped me sort things out and put my priorities in order, and even gave me quizzes or recommendations of things to try with my husband. I'm doing okay now. There are still some things to work on. I have a job, but not an ideal job, but I have a job, my husband and I BOTH realized we were taking each other for granted, and are getting our marriage back on track and I dare hope to even improve it. WOW! This is getting long. Anyway, I understand and best of luck to you.

moeilijk's picture

You're angry about being called names but accept that because your DH won't change. You're angry about paying the bills but accept that because your DH won't change.
You're angry about not having a job anymore and don't trust your DH to take care of financial matters but accept that because your DH won't change.
And your VOWS to this marriage are more important than insisting that your DH treat you and your marriage respectfully and you accept that because your DH won't change.

But, you wish things were different. Well, in Wishland, things ARE different! In reality, people have to face their demons in order to conquer them.

What if you demanded things be different with your DH? Would your marriage end? Is there no middle ground of seeking a different path together, one that makes you both happy?

If you decide you'd rather stay in this marriage as it is right now, feeling as you do... you don't need to post online for support, because it's your commitment and choice to follow this path.

1StepForward2's picture

It's difficult to change lifestyles suddenly when one loses their job. It sounds like you are panicking a little and I would too. I would try to keep things in perspective.

You cannot afford to pay for things you did before like money towards his truck and insurance, all the groceries and the Christmas gifts for his family. Let him be responsible for his personal bills and his family's gifts.

Neither of you can afford the large donations to any church right now. It may be a good idea to put yourself on a budget to see what you can reasonably afford to contribute to and stick to it. If he acts like he's broke, oh well. That is his problem. Stop arguing about it. Just say “I can't afford to do that now.”

Hopefully he will realize he needs to cut back as well to make sure the bills are all paid since you lost your job and cannot contribute as before.

When you do get another job it would probably be a good idea to continue with him being responsible for his own bills and family's gifts since you keep separate accounts anyway. Just pitch in for the household bills and things you do and have together.

This may be an opportunity for you to do things a little different and if it feels fairer to you, you will feel better.