You are here

Need some advice in dealing with husband's family & ex-wife.

hoshort's picture

I have been married for 9 years to my husband. I brought a now 18 year old son(who he adopted) into the marriage and he also brought a now almost 18 year old son in. Together we have an 8 year old boy. My husband's ex had mad our lives miserable for the last 9 years. She lives about 45 mins away(which helps) but she totally shuts my husband out of his sons life. She makes all decisions and treats him like he is unimportant(except for the check he sends every month)! In the last 4 years - we barely see my stepson at all. Usually he is here 1 night a month. Anytime my husband tries to get him here more - we hear from his ex that ss just has too much going on. When he is here, he stays in the bedroom he shares with my son and texts and call his Mom. All of this has caused my relationship with ss to disappear(We were very close when we first got married. I was a stay at home Mom and I think his Mom resented the fact that we spent a lot of time together. Both boys went to the same school and were with me every afternoon. She decided to put him in school where they live - even though she worked in our city. After that we saw him less and less. He steals from bs when he is here and ignores our rules. I know his Mom has told him he does not have to listen to me.
Anyway, both boys are graduating from high school this year. I wanted to do a combined celebration for them(ss graduates on Sat morn. & bs gradautes Sun aftn). We found out from ss that his Mom is having a brunch at her house after grad. My husband thought we would have to go. I wanted to plan a party for Sat evening with our familes. I thought the brunch would be for her and her husbands family. My husband agreed. I have since found out that my Mother in Law(lives 4 hours away) was invited to the brunch. I called to tell her we were having a party for us that evening. Even though she hated my husband's ex when they were married, we have found the ex has been sending cards, pictures, and calling behind his back. Now as upset as my husband is, there is nothing we can do about it if she decided to go to the ex's house. My husband at first said we would have to go to but he knows how his wife treats me and how uncomfortable this will make our family feel, so now he says its ok if we don't go. I'm afraid as we get closer(June 14) he is going to change his mind. I just want to hear from others about what they would do or have done in this situation. The ex always has to be in control of everything and she is a person who likes to be the center of attention. My Mother in Law is a bit the same way, which is why I think she is going. My husband's brother and sister in law(also from out of town) will be here for grad but I don't know about the brunch. Chances are Mother in law will force them to go. I would just like to have a celebration where the boys are the focus and everybody can be relaxed. Any feedback would be a help!

melis070179's picture

Serious boundary issues here...you are 100% correct. Your's & your Dhs families should be having your own celebration and should not be attending BMs. She is not their family. I would ask your DH to talk to his mother & sibling and let them know you guys will not be attending BMs and will be throwing your own event for both boys that evening. If BM wants to keep in touch with MIL, whatever, but she shouldn't be attending her events when you guys are having one the same day for the same reason, and yours will include DHs & your son as well! Thats just ridiculous.

"You never realize how short a month is until you pay child support"

hoshort's picture

Thanks for confirming how I felt. Stepson was here this past weekend with his yearbook. His Mom had told my husband in October that she was buying a senior page in the yearbook and did he want to contribute. We helped pay and sent 4 pictures of my husband with his son. None of my husbands pictures were in the yearbook. SS said they were told pics couldn't scan. Ironic that all of his didn't make it. Anyway, Husband stood up for me and told him we would not be coming to brunch. Not sure what will happen with MIL or others but we are not going.

instant-family's picture

We found out my DH's parents were going to BM mother's house for birthdays and holidays. We tried to talk to them and tell them that they should not be doing that, but they disagreed and said they do it for the grandkids. However, they also come to our house for birthdays too so its not like they don't get to see them. BM calls DH's parents to babysit too and they go to HER house to watch the kids, its ridiculous. We tried to explain boundaries and how it makes us uncomfortable, but they don't get it at all.

In your situation, it sounds like parent alienation. My mom did this to my sister when she was a teenager and my sister didn't talk to my Dad at all for a year. She realized that my Dad is a really great guy and a wonderful father and she is very regretful for not speaking to him for that year. She has never forgiven herself for it. I do believe that in these situations, as the children grow up, they realize what is going on and they begin to make their own decisions. Its really a shame that the BM is doing this because in reality, she is taking something away from her son, and that is the relationship with his father. Very sad. If only these idiots would realize that they are hurting their children by being selfish like this.

Run 4 the hills's picture

Hi

We have also had to put up with this BS for a long time. DH alegedly 'had it out' with his parents but no change in thier behaviour. Again, the kids are used as the excuse for their contact with her. It is just not normal or right. they too slaged her off the entire time they were married. They still slag her off now! Tonight I find pics they have posted on their Facebook of my DH with his ex. What a slap in the face and why can't these people get inthe real world. It's not like DH and I have been together for 8 years or anything!!!! Whatever!

I emailed (yes, emailed) my DH tonight into his work account laying it on the line. Don't accuse ME of being thre trouble maker. Grow some balls and sort your ex and parents out then maybe we can have a proper grown up relationship like other people do! Give me strength!!! the BS we have to endure just coz she was there first.

hoshort's picture

Well graduation for both boys happened last weekend. We did not go to the brunch and neither did DH's family. He made it very clear that he did not want them to go. Then his parents didn't come at all - even to graduation. FIL is being transferred and they are moving, so MIL said they had too much going on. Mailed SS present to his BM's and mailed my son's here. Then DH's brother(lives 4 hours away), came for the party but not for either graduation. It was strange! We had a good time anyway. I endured SS's graduation even though when we were through and went down on the football field to find him, he was nowhere to be found. My DH wanted to be the first one to congraulate him but he was off somewhere with his friends. By the time we found him, BM and her family were taking pictures with him so we had to stand around and wait. My family kept telling me, this was the last time I would have to deal with BM but I know that is not true! MY IL's are moving even further away, so I don't care what they do anymore and neither does my husband. After not coming to graduation, my DH's says they can call SS themselves to get updates and if they still talk to BM he doesn't want to know. I agree with "instant-family" in that SS has been robbed and doesn't even know it yet. My DH always tell him,"one day you are going to say where is Dad, and when you turn around I'll be standing right behind you because that's where I've been all along". He still rarely calls and usually DH has to call him. Maybe he'll grow up one day! I hope that by going away to college, he will be out of his BM's grip for awhile and will be able to see things differently but I wouldn't be suprised if she goes to college with him!