You are here

Why is it so difficult for parents to say no?

SunnySkies's picture

OK, this weekend's EOW circus. SD15 announces yesterday that she wants a scooter for Christmas. She can't ride it till she's 16,and she is still in school. Err, insurance, petrol, repairs?! SS17, also still in school, announces he wants to go to Amsterdam for his 18th. He has no job, and SO bought him a motorbike recently, so how the hell is he paying for this? "apparently" SS17 is paying back SO at £50 a month, so how's that going without a job?

SO said he was going to the shop to get some beers. SS15 says, "Can you get me a cider?", not "Dad, would it be OK if I had a cider?". SO says, "Pardon", she says "well, you're getting beers". WTF?? She is 15 and demands a cider?! Guess what, he got her one! I don't have an issue with kids having a drink now and again as it makes alcohol less of a demon but it's her presumption she can have one that pissed me off!

So what is it with today's parents (and it's not just divorced parents) that they can't say no, or say well you will have to wait until you are either a) earning, b) grown up. It amazes me that they want the benefits of adulthood without the responsibilities. Oh, I forgot, SS15 thinks her parents are her personal chauffeur until she gets a car!!! Jesus, help me.

Easylikesundaymornin's picture

They are so afraid of their children not liking them, or bring angry with them.

Ummm my parents taught me wants/needs my brother n I turned put fine.

I don't like the parents allowing their children to do whst they do ~ because " we did it as kids" ~ yeah I might have bit if I got caught like this kid did ~ my ass would be grass n my parents would be playing lawn mower. Stupidity at it's best.

SunnySkies's picture

It really frustrates me because I have worked for everything I've got - I got my work ethic from my parents and they are the same. I didn't have driving lessons until I worked, and I got a loan for a car which I paid myself. I've paid for my house myself and I don't owe anyone a damned thing, including zero on my credit card. And I'm only an average earner. Whatever Prince and Princess want, Prince and Princess get. I don't have my own kids, but I'm sure that if I did I would instil the same work ethic into them as well.

Orange County Ca's picture

I can't speak for the UK, but in the US it started when the GI's got back from WWII and wanted to give their kids everything their parents didn't have being they went through the depression and then the war.

So they concentrated in "things". This was passed on to subsequent generations and it didn't help when consumerism became the main-stay of the U.S. economy. Of course there were exceptions but that's was got it started. Then the greed generation which kids in the 40's now followed by the millennium who think they're owed a trophy for showing up.

We've ended up with about 5% of our population willing to actually work, invest and invent and that's where the money is concentrating.